Restaurant rescinds prayer discount

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Magical Realist, Aug 11, 2014.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Discounts are legal. Discounts on the basis of a protected class, ie. race, color, religion, or national origin... are not.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/2000a

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

The same for theists at a business giving discounts to atheists & for blacks at a business giving discounts to whites. How about a higher salary for those who pray on the job. If you don't like it, you do not have to work there.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Which is exactly my point - in general, it's accepted to be a set of moral guidelines established to help provide guidance in a "big scary world", not something that can be followed verbatim, especially so long after it was originally written

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Okay, here's an example:

My church has a "family fund" that members of the church can request aid from in the event of financial distress - it is only for members of the church (it has other funds for things outside the membership).
    By the definition of the law, this practice would be illegal.

8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

In general, it is pretended to be the infallible, absolute, totally true moral guide to be followed exactly.

9. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Not quite an equal parallel.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Again, how do you figure; this is the second time you have said as such without providing either an example or any sort of explanation... honestly, it's starting to feel a little troll-esque...

11. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Honestly, you have not shown how they are. You say they are equal. I say they are not. I should not have to prove or disprove your unsupported claim.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014
  12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Might that have been the idea behind this fiasco all along?

They are dicks anyway for making up such a discount policy.

Well, why not start a restaurant where some minority has to pay twice as much as anyone else. They have a choice after all.

They don't have to convince the people that they are really pirates, do they?
    The atheist do have to convince the restaurant that they are praying. Otherwise why didn't the restaurant say: "everyone that folds their hands will get a discount."?
    Praying is a specifically religious act. So they are actively excluding a minority from the discount. It's just plain wrong. And they probably knew it otherwise they would have gone to court.

13. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

It might not be over with yet.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, "Religious organizations" are exempt as a public accommodation. Just read the law, it's all in there.

(e) Private establishments
    The provisions of this subchapter shall not apply to a private club or other establishment not in fact open to the public, except to the extent that the facilities of such establishment are made available to the customers or patrons of an establishment within the scope of subsection (b) of this section.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/2000a

15. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I seriously doubt it would be plural.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Right...

I said:
    You said:
    Offering zero explanation on how or why they are supposedly not equal.

I said:

You said:
    Again, without explanation on how or why they are supposedly not equal.

At this point, I can only assume you to be attempting to troll and are otherwise incapable of supporting your position; that said, I accept your acquiescence of my point.

Hm... fair enough - I apologize, I was not aware how exacting the law was in this regard... especially given the recent decision by the Supreme Court that a business can refuse to cover contraceptives for its workers on "religious grounds"...

Odd that... we can refuse to cover treatment for contraceptives for a woman, even though they are often used to help relieve or reduce the symptoms of her period and not JUST for birth control... yet offering a discount to someone with similar religious views is apparently illegal.

*scratches head* I say again... as a country, we are so boned.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The difference is that the company is not discriminating between workers. They cover none of their workers. It's still idiotic though, imo.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If it seems odd, that's because the Supreme Court has a majority of religious conservatives. And their decision was incorrect in my opinion.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

It's still on the grounds of religious differences though... bah, this country is fubar XD

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I know, that why I think it's idiotic. You won't find anything like that where I live.
    Not that my country is perfect..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Sylvester Registered Senior Member

Yes, it is becoming too conservative...Atheist Conservative. I find the atheist theory to be funny. It is akin to saying "hey, i know Gliese 832c has no oceans". ba ha ha ha ha....

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Few atheists I know say they know there is no God. We just don't believe there is one.

23. Sylvester Registered Senior Member

So you are saying that atheism is a belief system?