Respectful moderation

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by cluelusshusbund, Mar 1, 2014.

?

All moderation... an mods discussin moderation issues... shoud be done respectfully

1. yes

52.9%
  2. no

41.2%
  3. maybe

5.9%
  1. Balerion Banned Banned

I think doing nothing would fall under the adage of "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Perhaps telling him to get help will actually make a difference. Or maybe it won't. In either case, being silent on the matter hasn't prevented him from acting, so there's no harm in this.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

I did not say "do nothing", but any indication that a troll is getting under your skin is what a troll wants. It would have served better to ban all the sockpuppets, not respond to any of their posts, and have all those posts deleted. Barring the possibility of an ISP ban solving the problem, there are few options, but the motives of a troll are no secret.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Balerion Banned Banned

They've done all of that, which Bells has already stated. It didn't work. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

Reiku never made a secret of what he intended to do.

At least he's open about it, I'll give him credit for that.

We have perma-banned him pretty much on sight for years. We have tried reasoning with him, offering him more chances than he deserved, all for naught. There came a point where enough was enough. This is a repetitive cycle. And I don't mind doing it. It would be better if we didn't have to do it, if he understood that enough was enough. But this is an obsession for Reiku. He goes away for a few weeks, then comes back and the cycle begins again. And frankly, it's unhealthy.

Balerion

You didn't know and so, you haven't done anything wrong. I wasn't snapping at you, but clueless has been at this for a while now. He thinks he's very good at it. He's not. Most of us have seen through it a long time ago. If he wants to have a policy discussion, he should have it, instead of snide little posts and then running at the slightest response from the one he targets - directly and indirectly.

8. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

The issue is consistent moderation an the use of snide remarks... an has nuthin to do wit which mod made the snide remark... or who the snide remark was made to.!!!

I thank mods not usin snide remarks in ther mod duties is a good start in consistency of moderation... which is good for Sciforums.!!!

9. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

So if trolls will not heed any advice, why the hell does it matter if you feed them or not? They are not listening anyway! Look there was nothing said that was inflammatory imo anyway, so why all the freakin nitpicking. The real issue is Clueluss is stirring up a bunch of nothing for some reason. hmmmm

10. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Well I do recall Bells opening up and being very candid with you Clueluss and you were the one that was more than just a little snide, my dear. In fact you pretty much facepalmed her. Practice what you preach and then maybe I will buy that you are trying to make this a gentler, kinder place, otherwise it seems that you have some other agenda.

11. Balerion Banned Banned

I would agree for the most part, but in this case, I think it was warranted.

Besides, you don't seem to have a problem dishing out the sarcasm and rude remarks.

12. Balerion Banned Banned

I know you weren't snapping at me, Bells. I actually really appreciate how cool you've been with me lately, in spite of everything. We're good. At least on my end.

And yes, I agree, there was a better way to go about this.

13. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Im not aganst posters bein snide wit each other... i like it fine... i dont thank mods shoud be snide while preformin ther mod duties.!!!

Thers no good reason for mods to ever be snide in ther moderation... an it bein ok sometimes an not ok other times jus gives people more inconsistency to complain about.!!!

I have no idea whare this notion got started that i dont want posters to be allowed to be rude to each other... its fun... i love it... an i say go for it... i jus thank its a very good idea that mods dont be rude while doin ther mod duties.!!!

14. Balerion Banned Banned

Okay, well I disagree. Do you think you could manage to get over it?

Have fun and love it from my ignore list.

15. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

He has a likeable and charming manner when he decides to be good,
    He's clever too, and you hope that at some point he will grow up.
    To this time though, he has always let down anyone who gave him another chance.
    I was very annoyed with him when he let down James, who went out on a limb,
    and allowed him back here after many promises of good conduct.
    James was beaten up by people telling him that he'd regret the day.
    And of course they were right.

16. Bells Staff Member

And that's the issue. Each time we'd think he'd changed and within a matter of weeks, he'd flare up. Each time. There has never been a time when this did not happen.

He then tries to pit us against each other by claiming one said he could stay. He did it this time by saying James had said he could stay and had given him another chance. The reality was that James had not. When I challenged him on this and told him what James had actually said, he was forced to back down and say yes but then went on an abusive litany about how it's everyone else's fault and never his own. Then came the over half a dozen or so sock puppets, each more abusive and dishonest than the one previously and now with the added flavour of threats to this site as well.

So when I am told that after spending hours dealing with the issue that I should be more respectful to him while banning him for the umpteenth time that day, because I dared to tell the threatening and abusive guy that he should get some help because he's been at this for years?.. And then told I should just perma ban him and be done with it.. Ermm sure.. Because that's not what we've been doing for years?

And it is unnecessary.

17. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

How old is he now?
    Around mid twenties I'd guess.
    How long is he going to play the role of the "life's not fair" adolescent?

18. wefh Banned Banned

Bells... I told Administration I was leaving them alone. But if you continue spreading your ''hate lies'' I will return for good.

You are lying about James, I never said he said I could stay, I told you he did nothing about it. There is a big difference, and no... it's not that my sockpuppets got more dishonest, they got more truthful.

The obsession I have with this place, is that fact I outdate some of the oldest posters here. I integrated here long before alphanumeric and some of the others. I was one of the ''original'' posters here. That's my obsession. I grew up with the place.

And the fact you are saying stuff like ''get help'' makes you no worse than the troll posters who infest this sight often making derogatory statements about mental health... which is unacceptable.

19. wefh Banned Banned

Do you know what I have? Semantic Pragmatic Disorder. Take a read into it. Not something I can ''just get help with.''

20. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Wow, just wow... You're obsessed with this place. You're a spoiled, snot nosed brat... Get the fuck over your self. Holy hell kid, this place really means that much to you??? You "grew up here" that is deeply disturbing. One question though... You honestly think, making sock after sock, will get the powers that be, welcome you back with open arms?... Sorry, I for one don't see it ever happening...

21. wefh Banned Banned

Like most autistic people, they form obsessions. I have some of the worse kind. Thanks for being understanding! Being semantic pragmatic, I also have a pathological need to talk.

22. wefh Banned Banned

I still have empathy, though. Something you seem to lack. Was it yourself who complained to me about having cancer?

23. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Again, read the post you respond to. I also said, "make for more trolling", which is the most typical result of feeding a troll (and letting them know they have succeeded at getting under your skin). No mod should be responding to a sockpuppet in the first place, as they have the resources to ban them and see that their posts are deleted. Making snide comments about anyone's mental health, troll or not, is likely to, at least, illicit defensiveness (i.e. "reasons" to keep at it).

But since this is the second time in a row that you have, perhaps intentionally, missed critical parts of my posts, and you have no problem with moderators being snide, you should seek help, as you seem to be doing some trolling yourself. Nothing inflammatory there, huh?