Respectful moderation

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by cluelusshusbund, Mar 1, 2014.

?

All moderation... an mods discussin moderation issues... shoud be done respectfully

1. yes

52.9%
  2. no

41.2%
  3. maybe

5.9%
  1. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Oh puleaaassse,

Going after Bells in your spare time? He was a frickin pain in the arse, so freakin what? He needs to get help and giving him this advice was a good thing.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I do... because Reiku has a serious COMPLEX with this forum... he's made... well, we honestly lost count, but if I had to guess, I would say close to three dozen or more different sock puppets in order to try and evade his ban...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Color commentary is not necessary when performing moderator duties, and can only serve to further motivate obvious trolls. Even if it does not, being provoked by someone will such obvious issues could, itself, indicate a need for help.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Im goin after moderation that is best for Sciforums.!!!

An if he broke the rules he shoud be moderated.!!!

Syne explains it below.!!!

Syne esplains it below.!!!

When you'r right you'r right... an you sir are right.!!!

8. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Several mods including Bells had tried to reason with Reiku and showed a great deal of patience sooo.... I disagree telling him to get help was good advice!

9. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

You cannot reason with trolls, and no advice to get help is likely to do anything but provoke more trolling. It is like telling an alcoholic to get help. They usually just double-down on their denial (and tend to get belligerent) until they come to this conclusion on their own.

10. Balerion Banned Banned

At this point, I agree. He's been banned and snuck back in so many times, even been given second (and third) chances, I see no problem with a moderator telling him to eff off, in not so many words.

Actually, I'd totally understand someone telling him to eff off.

11. Balerion Banned Banned

Reiku's a special case. They've tried giving him fresh starts, clean slates, etc., but never learns.

12. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Look I am all for reasoning with people, but there is a point when we determine that this is not effective and no amount of reasoning with Reiku made him less of a troll, did it? Bells telling him to get help could have very well been serious advice. Do you know that it was not? In my recent observation of Clueluss and his dealings with Bells, well he seems to have an agenda and not the one he states above.

13. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Its not surprizin that moderation was screwed up from the get-go... ie... stop all the bs of tryin to "reason" wit people who brake the rules (they are not you'r children... an you are not ther parents)... if a ban or permaban is in the best of Sciforums... jus do it.!!!

Further agravation of somone who keeps creatin socks is petty nonsinse.!!!

14. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

An that benifits Sciforums how.???

15. Balerion Banned Banned

Maybe eventually he'll get the hint.

I mean, treating him with respect, and even with benevolence, has earned us awful behavior, endless amounts of pseudoscience, and enough sock-puppetry to make Mic Foley blush. At this point, what's the bloody harm?

16. Bells Staff Member

Ah the self righteousness continues with a flavour of complaining about 'snideness' while being snide.

By the point I had banned that version of Reiku, I think we were up to about 5th sockpuppet? This is after he threatened the site and posted a slurry of abusive and offensive comments.

I'd have to say that anyone who makes it their life work to disrupt and troll a forum for years needs some psychological help - scratch that, he needs a hell of a lot of help. Especially one who takes it upon himself to lie repeatedly, deny his own behaviour until challenged, lie some more, make some more threats against this site and this site's security and then lie some more about it, deny some more, and create yet more sock puppets. To be honest, he got way more than he deserved in regards to respect. He deserved and deserves none whatsoever.

Do I think he needs psychological help? After his performance that day and this ongoing saga for the last few years? Yes.

I also told him that he was not wanted here and to stop coming back here.

If you have an issue with the way that I treated a serial pest and troll who threatens the safety of this site, then I'd suggest you take it up with the admin who spent quite a bit of time trying to block all of his IP's from this site after he threatened this site. So good luck with that complaint there.

And if you have a problem with me, I'd suggest you take it up with me instead of this pathetic waste of time you have decided to embark upon by these stupid spammy threads trying to demand politeness and respect when you are incapable of providing said politeness or respect.

As for how this benefits this site..

Reiku's behaviour and constant trolling of this site and its members has resulted in our losing several members, with quite a few requesting permanent bans to escape him. So what do you think the answer is to that question? Should we be respectful to a forum pest and troll who threatens this site and to the detriment of this site?

Respect is earned. Reiku has gone out of his way to abuse any respect anyone on this site (except for you of course) may have given him. He certainly lost the very last shreds when he threatened this site.

As I said, you have a problem with how I handled that ban and the many many others that came before and after that one, take it up with me or with Admin.

17. Balerion Banned Banned

See, now that doesn't help. I agree with everything else you said (except that I counted 7 Reiku sockpuppets, and those are merely the ones attributed to him by name--there are probably quite a few more than that) but cluelesshusbund is clearly concerned. I don't think responding so rudely is going to help.

Just saying.

18. Bells Staff Member

Glad to see we weren't the only ones noticing that in the backroom.. I mean he ignores all the other ban messages and goes after just mine. Kind of obvious.

Clueless demanded a policy discussion. When he got it, he whined and ran away. He demands politeness and respect, when he as been pathologically incapable of providing it - from the rude, unwanted and snide pm's he sends us, to these many threads discussing it as a policy - well no.. his discussing it as policy while inviting mods to participate and then complaining and whining when we do.

Of course there is an agenda. There always has been. From the many hours he spends sending PM's rallying the troops to then culminating in these threads when anything happens. This is what he feeds on.

To complain about lack of respect to a member who for over a matter of hours, created over half a dozen sock puppets and abused staff and then threatened this site and this site's security and reputation.. Those straws must be clutched at of course. Apparently it's more beneficial to sciforums when a member abuses and threatens this site and its members, leading to many valued members leaving in disgust. Well I guess it does for someone who spends more time studying the ban list than he does participating in the forum.

19. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Ive only advocated not bein snide while performin mod duties... an ive said ban or permaban when its in the best interest of Sciforums... an to do it wit-out the bs drama of tryin to "fix" the offender... in other words... moderation will be more effective wit the consistency i suggest.!!!

20. Bells Staff Member

Kind of over it, to be honest. This thread has been a blatant and obvious self righteous display from the start. You're telling me that I'm wrong and not helping by telling it like it is? Is it more respectful to lie?

When someone is rude to my face, I'm not going to get on my knees and beg respect.. I'm treating clueless as he has treated me over the years. He knows exactly what I am talking about, so do the many of us who have been unfortunate enough to get his rude and unwelcome and unwanted PM's over the years.

He demanded a policy discussion and complained when he got it. In fact, he refused to speak to me when I tried to discuss these very issues with him. Complained that I had responded.

Did he even think to ask what had led to that message in that ban list? Oh no, that wouldn't suit, would it? After all, BIG BAD EVIL BELLS must always be in the wrong, mustn't she? Best to just assume and make a snide and very pointed thread - come on - why do you think he's refused to discuss this with me when I tried to speak to him about it? He made it very clear from the start. It would not curry favours with the faithful if he did, would it?

Enough is enough. And I'm telling it like it is. If he has an issue with the way I handled a serial pest who has threatened this site and abused members and staff alike, after years of similar behaviour, then he can take it up with me or file a complaint with Admin. This whole "aside from Bells" crap he's got going on.

Well enough. He never intended to have a policy discussion. If he had, he wouldn't have complained when he got said policy discussion.

21. Bells Staff Member

Oh, you've said? Well, how silly of me, why didn't we just listen to you and permaban! I mean you have all the answers, don't you? The great clueless!

Years. We've tried for years.

Years. And you demanding that I show respect to such an individual after he threatened this site and abused its members and staff and just permaban? It's laughable. We've been permabanning him for years.

You haven't suggested diddly squat.

The first bans just on that day alone, we asked him to please stop. We were polite and respectful. By like the 6th or so sockpuppet within an hour and after the threats and abuse, really, you want us to be polite and respectful in a ban message after all of this?

But you won't even discuss that will you? You won't comment on the requests that he stop in said ban messages and the posts to him, even in the middle of his threats and abuse.

Next time you want to know why we post what we sometimes post in the ban list, just ask. Instead of rubbish stunts like you just tried to pull.

22. Balerion Banned Banned

Not asking you to beg for anything. I clearly did not realize there was a history here. My bad.

And for the record, I completely agree with you. I just didn't know clueless was just trying to be a jerk about it.

23. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Huh, I just said, "You cannot reason with trolls". With trolls, as with many alcoholics, it really does not matter how sincere the advice. It will either fall on deaf ears or make for more trolling, denials, etc.. And after the repeated failed attempts at dealing with this troll, and advice could easily fall under the adage of "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". Do you really think a repeated troll is going to heed any advice? Can you not see how making snide comments only feeds trolls?