Remove Spuriousmonkey as moderator

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by MetaKron, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Really? It looks like he was just presenting an argument contrary to your own.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Why? Has he been censoring you? All I see is an argument.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i dont even think he was censored, he's just a bit sore because he had his argument blown apart

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

No, it was a rhetorical question... SM would not censor a moron.

9. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

He accused me of getting a free ride on propaganda when I pointed to a place where a large body of evidence could be found. In a reasonable discussion both sides have the right to point to places where evidence can be found. They also may or may not have the right to call something propaganda, but even that's a little much. It isn't right to use that label to excuse a demand that the person refrain from directing people to that site.

He also called me irresponsible for presenting the dissident side.

Even a moderator should confine his demands to reasonable ones. The demand that Monkey made was not reasonable and was supported by reasons that were much more like insults than reasons. It looked a lot like a deliberate attempt to humiliate my side. No moderator who should be taken seriously would do this.

10. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Yes but we like spuriousmonkey, whereas we're not that overly keen on your good self. Just do a PhD on why AIDS doesn't exist (or whatever it is that you've been blathering on about in there), then come back.
    Your side consists of you - doesn't it? It does, doesn't it. Your side consists of you. Why not just have a big cry, then put it behind you?

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

yes but he used his moderator status to present his side of the argument in post 45 on page 3.

frankly i find the entire topic ridiculous and an arument about semantics.

i feel metakron owes me for making me read the worthless thread, i just thank god it was just 3 pages.

and just to give my opinion about the topic: it sucks and metakron loses

12. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

No moderators should post regularly.

They shouldn't even be allowed access to the forum except to - well, moderate. To take official actions.
    They are supposed to be overseers, not participants.

If such were the case, everybody & their brother wouldn't be clamoring Make MEEEEE a moderator.

13. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I think slave driver might be a better term.
    A slave driver was himself a slave who made the other slaves work harder by working harder himself.

In today's parlance, he would fuck the curve up for the rest of us...

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

In all due respects, a Moderator is like a Captain of a ship. In this instance a Moderator of their forums. Although they might be commanded by the Administrators like some vast Armada, when it comes to Rules, Regulations, Disciplining and keeping everything "Ship shape" it's entirely down to the moderator.

If Spurious is trialling an approach where people attempt to use Scientific methods and approaches to discussion then thats fair enough. I'd rather have an educated discussion on a subject rather than someones "pet theory" which lacks any corresponding evidence to the contrary since such lack of discipline in regards to evidence collection and formating is why so many people in the world still think the Sun is the centre of the universe.

[p.s. Thats why Pirates Rule over Ninjas]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2006
  15. Meanwhile Banned Banned

Actually Spurious and James R, both as moderators, should have also reprimanded Oh!phiolite. Instead, Spurious patted Oh!Lite on the bum for a job well done in defining latterly—obviously as a studiously fabricated afterthought, which is typical of Ophiolite—what he did not intend to define in the first place. From that point on, the thread had acquired a "legitimate" punchbag—Metakron.

Killjoy: absolutely. Moderators seem to want to have their cake and eat it too—in full view of the rest of us. Such huge pieces of cake. And crumbs too.

16. Meanwhile Banned Banned

Or better yet, they might try Stryder's method of sabotaging a thread by deleting what came to embarrass them—latterly. Ha.

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

oh man...

when I read the title of this thread, Remove Spuriousmonkey as moderator, I honestly thought you wanted to remove me as moderator so the administration team could make me a supermoderator.

Anyway. I explained my actions as a moderator already thoroughly in the threads that were moderated by me.

Have a nice day.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  18. Meanwhile Banned Banned

You expalined yourself not as moderator but as Spurious donning the robes of officialdom when it suited you: you even had to illustrate it. Either you're Spurious, or moderator. Pick and choose, I guess.

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I haven't seen any reports complaining about Ophiolite's posts. If you find something objectionable, and think it needs moderator action, that is what the "report" button is for.

You can't expect me to read every post on sciforums. Also, I am not here 24 hours a day.

20. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

There was a time when I would have simply said you're being a crybaby, but I'll abstain from that accusation.

But it looks to me like SpuriousMonkey had you by the pseudoscientific balls. If you have a specific but legitimate criticism to make about the research in HIV/AIDS, do as he suggested. Cite the research and properly deconstruct it. Otherwise, you're coming off as nothing more than a crank and the internet is full of them. Sciforums certainly needs no more of them.

21. mountainhare Banned Banned

I think it's only common sense that moderators should not be allowed to participate in a discussion which they are moderating. Would you make the accused the judge of his own trial? Would you make a player of one of the two soccer teams an umpire of that match?

22. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I think you are confused. A moderator is not a judge.

A moderator is a person who presides over a forum. That is the person who possesses or exercises authority or control.

A judge is a person who is qualified to pass a critical judgment.

The task of the moderator is to steer discussion in the proper direction. Not to be an objective and impartial judge of a debate. If moderators were judges they should not allowed to post at all.

23. mountainhare Banned Banned

spurious:
    Cease the semantics. Coming to a decision on whether a thread is veering off the intended topic is a judgement in itself. How can a moderator carry out his duty objectively when he's in the middle of the discussion?

I'm also a little confused as to why people can't see why Metakron is complaining. Sure, MetaKron is talking a load of crock in the AIDS threads. But it's downright intimidating for you to throw on your moderator robes when you're having a one on one debate with him. It's not fair, because he doesn't share the same luxury.

Quite simply, if you want to argue with Metakron, get another moderator (James R?) to moderate the thread.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.