Religion relies on brainwashing children

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Dinosaur, Jul 28, 2016.

1. timojin Valued Senior Member

I was there , but we had our belief , there was violence , but there ware the parents ( they were not literate , father never went to school ) who guided us to be obedient to God. We all survived, things have changed
    Thank God we are all comfortable in our daily life.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

It certainly shouldn't be the only thing that informs one's belief. Experience, evidence, and reason should balance each other out--going extreme in any one direction leads to a bad place.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

From WellWisher Post #17
    My ethics & those of the atheists I know is as good or better than that of the religious folks I know.

The best thought I have in favor of religion.
    Atheists did not run the Salem witch trials or the inquisitions. They do not advocate war.

Note that the Russian communists purged a lot of individuals. If you include the premature deaths of those sent to Siberia, they might have killed more that the German holocaust did.​

While they professed atheism, the purges were directed toward possible political rivals & dissidents, not toward believers in religion.​

In almost all wars, both sides claimed that some deity or deities favored them.

Atheists do not physically attack theists & do not advocate violence, although some ridicule theists.

In many cultures & contexts, atheists & believers in a different religion re subjected to physical & psychological abuse by the dominant religion.​

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. timojin Valued Senior Member

Atheist brainwash their children , and stop prayer in school so their children would not be inspired by religion .
    Let me ask : What is wrong with the 10 commandments ? that the atheist are fighting against it. ?

8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

It's not the 10 Commandments that people are fighting against other than that it's a part of a religious creed. It's the whole thing however much of the 10 Commandments are just related to God's vanity...don't worship other false idols...just worship the real idol, don't use my name in vain, and other such useless commandments.

We don't need to invoke religion to know not to kill, steal, and to obey parents. This stuff could be put in comic books (and should be).

9. timojin Valued Senior Member

You are forgetting the 10 commandments were introduced about 3200 years ago . Your moral code is based on 10 commandments , Who told you you should work 6 days and then have one rest day

10. Seattle Valued Senior Member

God?

I don't work 6 days. Many people don't work at all and many people work all the time. You are picking at straws here Timjin. None of these reasons are why you are religious so why are you placing such great importance to this line of reasoning?

You got this from the same book that told us about a guy who put at least one pair of all the animals on Earth in a boat for 40 days so I wouldn't read too much into any of this.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Interesting to note, is that most kids who were indoctrinated into various religions, end up breaking free from religion but remaining spiritual/God believers when they reach adulthood, or abandon it altogether, while those who grew up without religion, and become religious converts as adults, are far more zealous about their beliefs. There's exceptions, but that's been my personal experience and observations of others. Religion doesn't only rely on indoctrination of children, it relies on fear. Most religions are built around fear, and if you can find enough fearful people, you can build a wealthy religion.

12. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I dont go by comandments... i just do what ever i choose to do.!!!

13. timojin Valued Senior Member

Society goes by 8 commandments unless you believe the laws have been made 500 or 600 years ago

14. timojin Valued Senior Member

Would you like to work 7 days a week ?
    Can you tell when a society started to give a worker one day rest and why ?

15. Seattle Valued Senior Member

We know that religion has been a part of society for a long time. That doesn't mean that we would be working 24 hours a day without the Bible. Non-Christian societies don't work 24 hours a day either.

Where are you going with this?

16. timojin Valued Senior Member

No one is saying 24 hours a day , One week have 7 days you work 6 days in a week and must rest ome day

17. Seattle Valued Senior Member

What is your point? Who rests one day these days and who works 6 days? We work 5 days now and that's not in the Bible so I guess we're not following the Bible given your logic.

What are you really arguing anyway, certainly not how days a week we work. None of this is why you are religious so why are we even talking about it?

18. river

true

but it is possible to have a Humanity mindset that has ethics and a sense of fair play . without religion .

I know this through experience .

19. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

The problem is not that prayer in schools inspires the children of atheists, the problem is that when atheists or other non-Christians do not participate in school prayer, this then inspires Christian children, teachers, and members of the community to exclude and otherwise punish those who do not participate. This is the real problem, as identified in the actual world, with having schools engage in sectarian activity.

20. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

From Yazata Post #2

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

No one. Right now I am working 5 days a week. For about 10 years I was working 7 days a week.

Lots of people violate the ten commandments and do not see any moral issue doing so. Indeed, someone who does not honor an abusive parent is probably being smart.
    When I was 25 and doing work I really liked? Yes, I did like it.
    In general, most atheists aren't "fighting against it" - they are just ignoring them. Similar to how you ignore the Vedas.

22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Actually, I think unions brought about the five day work week, with weekends off. At the very least, six days on, with one day off.

Regarding the OP - from my experiences, adults who convert when they are into adulthood, and never were ''brainwashed'' as kids into any religious mindsets, are actually more zealous than cradle-religious types. Cradle religious people (I'm one, and I'm no longer ''religious'' anymore) tend to be more open minded about all faiths when they becomes adults, and don't show as much contempt as those who are adult converts. There's of course exceptions, this is just something I've observed.

23. timojin Valued Senior Member

Have you explored into history about 3000 years back on what were the working hours ? O could you tell when did union organization started and who started the unions ?