Religion is stupid

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Mr. Hamtastic, Mar 17, 2009.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

False, you may remember I pointed out that the Piraha people of the Amazon do not have a religion or mythology. They do not believe anything they haven't seen or that someone still alive (that they trust) has witnessed.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah. I remember.

/gets out of the way of the rush of atheists beating a path to Piraha society

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So your premise is disproven, they have been around at least a thousand years or so.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

And you know that this has been their belief all along how?

8. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

These are the same people who are unable to count. How do they measure anything including the number of years they've been around?

10. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

Does culture derive from religion or vice-versa?

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They have interesting personal experiences as well:

So they see spirits and have no concept of absract thought.

http://www.wunderkabinett.co.uk/damndata/index.php?/archives/272-What-the-Pirah-saw.html

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes, they see spirits. But it hasn't degenerated into a religion yet.

13. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Some cultures have a religious base, because religion has become so pervasive. But that's a chicken and egg thing really. We could not know about culture without religion simply because we lack the physical record. But it seems that the Piraha have their own culture without religion, so it's possible to have a culture without religion.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No, which is why they have different notions of laws of nature. Quite interesting really, if you cannot conceive of physical laws, do they really exist?

If you perceive things that others cannot, what defines perception? Or even reality?

Is reality defined by abstract thought? Is an areligious society independent of abstract concepts and has instead a realm of spirits?

15. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

That's subjective to a Christian missionaries understanding of what they were talking about at that time. His view point wasn't the Piraha view point and it may have been something entirely different.

As for "needing" numbers, what for? Do we need to know how old we are, or do we need to just understand that in our social hierarchy, she came before I did. She was here before me, and is therefor my elder? If we trade, only the value of the item is important not the number or weight. I can see how a society can live without numbers if you look at it objectively, just as I can see a live without religious influence if I look at it objectively. I don't come from an indoctrinated background so it's easier for me to not apply my beliefs when I don't have anything to believe either way.

16. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Or could it be as simply as a hallucination based on something they ate collectively? Maybe it was someone's wash caught in the right light?

But maybe it was just the interpretation of one Christian missionary.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You need numbers to use this computer, for one thing..

Maybe. Or maybe thats just the kind of society that lack of belief gives you

Perhaps ignorance truly is bliss?

18. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

But they don't need computers, and they are "some of the brightest, pleasantest, most fun-loving people that I know.", as per Mr. Everett. And all that, without religion

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Doesn't seem like a society on the verge of falling apart, does it to you?

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You're right. I suppose you'll be joining them soon? Taking your kids out of school and sending them there?

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's the book I read, by Everett. He visited as a missionary in order to learn their language and translate the Bible into Piraha. As a result of his experience, he became an atheist.

21. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

You know, that question seems to parallel the question:
    Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Allow us to ponder it's infinity.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'd have to say culture is derived from religion. IIRC, even the earliest, earliest form of man probably worshipped the sun, in a sense thanking it for giving them warmth that sustains all life.

22. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

he probably thought that was easier than translating the Bible! atheism, that is.

Mr. everett got to Numbers and said "F*** that!"

23. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

Why would religion precede culture? From an atheists mindset, endemically. Are we at a dawn of a new age? !000's of years of societies and we are now breaking through-that is what I hear. Coincidentally we live (USA) in a society that allows for that thought. very interesting.