Religion in Science forum not allowed?

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by DiamondHearts, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I can't understand how you can't see "God" as the biggest Grail of all times. A relic of Misconceptions and Personifications, something that could never be "Beheld" because it doesn't exist to. This is something you would learn through the deepest of studies, if of course those studies weren't impartial, which unfortunately a believer of any singular religion is dictated by.

So yes a learned Man, who hasn't seen god will know what it really is. Where someone with a belief built on misconceptions has nothing more than a Tangent Fantasy.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

That's the difference between Knowledge and Wisdom, Knowledge can be passed down, Wisdom can only be obtained through experience.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Yes.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Is that your principle in life? Do you always put knowledge over experience? I think knowledge can be deceptive, so can experience, but in the latter the deception is self inflicted.

8. disease Banned Banned

My 2c: I think that the idea, as SAM has noted, of ridding the planet of evil religious beliefs, is the idea of removing a very fundamental part of our humanity.

And, I think that it won't ever happen. The atheists wouldn't admit it, but they're really only suggesting that religion should be replaced, with their version of religion.

Atheism is as much a belief as any religion. The point is not what different religions believe or say, but why they exist at all.
    They aren't 'trying to destroy the planet', that's what people who think they understand religion (like evangelists and doomsday 'armageddon via the destruction of the holy land after the Jews have reclaimed it' types). That it's about seeing (or choosing not to) that the abstraction (of 'god') is more important than we perhaps realize. Atheists should try talking to someone who is areligious - who has woken up to not 'following' any of them, by believing all of them (or the 'essence', as it were).

9. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Fuck off, you Christian bastards.

10. disease Banned Banned

The only Christian bastard I know about, was this Jesus dude. Or was it way back when Abe begat a son, by 'laying with' his serving-wench?

Oh well.

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

No, it's pure pity. For the individual, and for society.

You talk about superiority, but seemingly forget the phrase 'God's Chosen Ones', as if religion isn't the epitome of one upmanship.

I don't feel superior to people who are religious, not at all. It inspires people do to great things, write music, build cathedrals, and sometimes I wish I had something that inspired and motivated me as much. But then I think of the bad things it also inspires, and wonder if one can opt for just one side of the coin, conclude no, and carry on being me.

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

there is a difference between a "hate filled portrayal" and researched post that thoroughly decimates you.
    no.
    IMO no.

and the difference between their divine task and yours is, what?

i'm not very familiar with islam so i can not say whether a post is false and outrageous. all i know is that i haven't posted any such stuff.

13. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

And where is this researched post that thoroughly decimates me? LOL.

This is the problem with Atheists, you will support any anti-religion statement no matter now false or deceptive it is. Until you see religious people as fellow human beings and judge with truth and honesty, then there can be no proper debate about religion.

When a religious person defends his religion against bigoted claims, it is seen as unnecessary and preaching.

This type of hate-filled propaganda (such as the one in this modern time against Islam) leads to tragic events such as Auschwitz, Bosnian genocide, Abu Gharib scandals, Bagram airbase episodes, massacres of innocent Muslims in cities such as Fallujah, Baghdad, Kandahar, etc. You fail to see that all this propaganda is politically motivated for one purpose, which is to dehumanize Muslims to make it easier to kill them without remorse.

We can have a proper debate about religion, but first we need to debate the issue and not engage in personal attacks, bannings, and locking of threads when atheists begin losing the debate.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Not if the belief cannot be maintained without the use of blind faith, that would be pitiful.

15. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Ah, then you can see the odd contradiction in your own post earlier.

16. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I haven't forgotten that phrase. What would make you think that? It's certainly not a phrase I use or include myself in, if that is what you think, again, for some unknown reason.

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Not at all, an imagined one on your part.

18. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I guess you didn't then.

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

i never said there was any such post.
    wrong.
    but i also think a concept such as a all knowing, all powerful righteous god is about as ridiculous as tits on a boar hog.
    before you say a word hear me out.
    can there really be a just and righteous god that allows all the nonsense to happen on this planet?
    yes, yes, yes, the battle of good and evil. well while the battle rages innocent people are being slaughtered. righteous indeed.
    i do see you as a human being. i certainly don't see you as a muslim, black, or white.
    if the quran is written like the bible then the wording is vague enough to allow almost any interpretation.
    you really don't know americans at all.
    in my opinion this is exactly why we are having such a difficult time in the mideast, because americans realize that this is about religion and we find it really hard to get motivated to fight a religion. i personally feel it's your right to worship whatever or whoever you want to.
    there is such a thing as alpha rules here on sciforums.

20. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

Oh for God's sake - no-one really gives a toss about your religious beliefs. However, what they do hate is the way a certain group of people seem to have hijacked the whole Philosophy section in order to talk about why we should bring back burnings for heretics. It's my understanding that the purpose of the religion board was to discuss religions in a scientific context, not talk about all the different ways Atheism is 'just a belief'. Can you think of a more boring and futile past-time?

The cliché war between Science and God a false idea; they are not mutually exclusive.

21. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I conclude there is and carry on being me. Why is it impossible to opt for only one side of the coin? Please tell me what bad things I have done because of religion. I really do want to know.