Recommendations

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by piirx, Jul 2, 2003.

1. piirx Registered Member

You guys got any recommendations for fairly recent scifi books?

Thanks,
    piirx

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. piirx Registered Member

Come on guys, i've got nothing to read

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. UberDragon The Freak at the Computer Registered Senior Member

Ummm... that's cause we have nothing to recommend.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. piirx Registered Member

OH, thanks a lot UberDragon, that helps

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

9. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Dune, but that's not recent.
    Foundation Trilogy, but that's not recent.
    2001 series, that's somewhat recent.

Those are the best, man. Anything recent just cannot compare.

10. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

David Weber

11. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

12. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Stephen baxter

13. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

Im not sure if your familiar with the mars "trilogy" by kim stanley robinson, it is a really fantastic serise (trilogy is in quotes because a 4th book recently came out). If you like complex characters and story you'll love it. The mars environment was so well described i feel like ive been there. The serise is a few years old but the last one is fairly new.

there is also a book i read recently called "Altered Carbon" sorry i can't recall the authors name. Its a really fast paced book, i just couldn't put it down. I read for so long without a break my eyes were blurry for an hour after i finished it.

hope that helped

14. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

WHATS THE FOURTH BOOK!!! I MUST BUY!

15. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I just bought it and i don't have it with me but if i remember right its called "martians".

16. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

Martians is a collection of short stories (by KSR) set on the Mars that KSR was writing about - not a fourth book in the series. There pretty much can't be a fourth in the series, not the way that Blue Mars was wound up. There is a book by Aldriss and Penrose called White Mars, which is supposed to be set before Red Mars takes place, but I've not heard good things about it. Haven't gotten to read it yet either, mind you...

17. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

There could be a continuation sort of with the landing of the interstellar ships... I think at least. Maybe somthing like Vinges "A deepness in the sky" setting up interstellar empires and such, IMHO

18. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

Well, yes - but it would be a serious break in the story's universe, similar to that in the Galactic Center series of novels. Sax's internal dialogue at the end of Blue Mars makes that very clear.

19. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

I can't find said dialogue, do you have a page number, thanks

20. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

EI_Sparks,

aww crap! have you read it? The cover was designed in exactly the same style and imagery as the trilogy so i assumed it was a fourth (man im kinda choked, there should have been at least a slight variation in the cover art, i mean his other unrelated books looked different, why use the chronicles cover style if its not the same story!).

Im seriously depressed now, i was looking forward to reading that like a 10 year old waiting for christmas.

Fafnir665,

Sorry for getting your hopes up, in my experience series' that seem to be impossible to add on to often find a way, i figured robinson could do it if anyone could.

21. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Isn't robinson a woman? "Kim Stanley Robinson" ???

22. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

i know some men named kim so (considering sci-fi authors are like 90 % men 10% women) i just assumed robinson was male but to tell the truth i never looked into it.

23. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

faf,
    In the voyager/HarperCollins 1996 paperback (ISBN 0 246 13883 1), it's on the bottom of page 587, but I was wrong, it's actually dialog with Ann, not Sax's internal. (Mind you, sax's internal dialog would be hard to right since the stroke!):
    SPOILER WARNING
    KSR is male, married and at the time of publishing Martians had a young child - there's an autobio-type story in Martians.

buffys, Martians is well worth the read if you liked the Mars trilogy.
    There is another Mars book out there - another Green Mars, which was a baen books publication (remember the ones with two novels per book, but with one running from first page to the middle and the other running from the last page to the middle?), and which is about a climbing expidition on Olympus Mons somewhere between Red Mars and Green Mars.