Real story behind Columbine

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by mikenostic, Apr 15, 2009.

1. sniffy Banned Banned

Bitchslapped?
    More like being gummed by a toothless sheep that's high and mighty on assumptions. Happens a lot around here.

He knowed he in the wrong on this one though.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Oh? How do you know that?

Millions of years of human civilisation, but no meaningful way of life on offer? Boy, have we failed!

Do we really? What evidence do you have for that? Or are you just proposing yet another theory?

According to the notion that 'life's meaning is something we all have to discover for ourselves, create for ourselves,' - those two students shooting at others did precisely that: discover their own meaning of life. They just did it in a way that isn't generally accepted.

Right back at you.

We could also say that you are scared of what those students at Columbine did, it is too disturbing for you and leaves a feeling of no control so you look for cause and excuses, saying:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Well who decides worth? Well, you just did.

And I never said existential angst was an 'excuse for murder'. It does help to explain it, though.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well make up your minds guys. I mean the bloody thing is in two threads already!

signal:Millions of years of human civilisation, but no meaningful way of life on offer? Boy, have we failed!

Its an existential postion. society without a forced framework of belief has to find a personal meaning or float in a world of absurdity.

Signal: Well who decides worth? Well, you just did.

No I am indifferent to them as far as that's concerned, they are dead afterall. Others can try and undermine our value but we are the only ones who can throw it away. They threw it away when they established that their lives were not worth living and then they decided that others didn't have a right to their own lives. Nihilistic in the extreme

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  8. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Do you think that this can actually be done?

You don't seem to be indifferent. You say things such as:

That is your evaluation of their situation.

9. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Oh yes absolutely it can be done. I'm indifferent to whatever validation they may have felt there actions. You asked me a question who elses evalution would you like me to give?

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

How?

11. sniffy Banned Banned

This was not a case of existential angst. It's more than a couple of lads listening to to Bauhaus

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

D), dressing in black and walking around saying 'woe is me...'

Bullying behaviour
    Erratic behaviour
    Manipulative behaviour
    Incidents of Explosive Anger
    Delusions of grandeur - equating selves with 'god' and others with 'zombies'
    Talking about suicide and killing
    Planning attacks
    Broadcasting plans on a website
    Threatening to kill fellow students
    Stockpiling weapons
    Asking experts how to make bombs
    Boasting to others about their plans
    Writing violently disturbed stories
    Making violently disturbed videos

This is no existential angst. Not just a couple of bum grades. This is a catalogue of worryingly disturbed behaviour.

And their behaviour was reported by teachers, and fellow students to the boy's parents and the local police. It appears that no-one did a fig.

Anyway:

"And yet, in spite of all its unanswered questions, some good has come out of Columbine. Young people are speaking up when they see signs that other kids may be planning violence, and police throughout America are being trained to act immediately when a killer takes control of a building - and not to stand by and wait for the SWAT teams to arrive.

Still, Columbine would seem to be the place where we can learn the most about school shootings and how to prevent them in the future."

60 Minutes "Columbine II"

Thanks again to gustav

12. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

You ask how as if there were some pre-prescribed formula or something.

You are an individual who has an entire intimate world inside of you engaging with a world outside of you and you ask someone outside to supply it with meaning? If you don't know how to give it meaning don't ask anyone else because it won't be satisfactory. If you want a formula go to the guru or the priest. Who can tell you what is of value? Who can fill you with beauty or imagination? Its all around but still it is you who have to supply IT with meaning.

No one can teach how to create your life.

13. sniffy Banned Banned

a lack of conscience is a terrible thing......from the words of Dave Cullen himself way back 2004.

Harris and Klebold would have been dismayed that Columbine was dubbed the "worst school shooting in American history." They set their sights on eclipsing the world's greatest mass murderers, but the media never saw past the choice of venue. The school setting drove analysis in precisely the wrong direction.

Fuselier and Ochberg say that if you want to understand "the killers," quit asking what drove them. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were radically different individuals, with vastly different motives and opposite mental conditions. Klebold is easier to comprehend, a more familiar type. He was hotheaded, but depressive and suicidal. He blamed himself for his problems.

Harris is the challenge. He was sweet-faced and well-spoken. Adults, and even some other kids, described him as "nice." But Harris was cold, calculating, and homicidal. "Klebold was hurting inside while Harris wanted to hurt people," Fuselier says. Harris was not merely a troubled kid, the psychiatrists say, he was a psychopath.

In popular usage, almost any crazy killer is a "psychopath." But in psychiatry, it's a very specific mental condition that rarely involves killing, or even psychosis. "Psychopaths are not disoriented or out of touch with reality, nor do they experience the delusions, hallucinations, or intense subjective distress that characterize most other mental disorders," writes Dr. Robert Hare, in Without Conscience, the seminal book on the condition. (Hare is also one of the psychologists consulted by the FBI about Columbine and by Slate for this story*.) "Unlike psychotic individuals, psychopaths are rational and aware of what they are doing and why. Their behavior is the result of choice, freely exercised." Diagnosing Harris as a psychopath represents neither a legal defense, nor a moral excuse. But it illuminates a great deal about the thought process that drove him to mass murder.

Harris' pattern of grandiosity, glibness, contempt, lack of empathy, and superiority read like the bullet points on Hare's Psychopathy Checklist and convinced Fuselier and the other leading psychiatrists close to the case that Harris was a psychopath.

It begins to explain Harris' unbelievably callous behavior: his ability to shoot his classmates, then stop to taunt them while they writhed in pain, then finish them off. Because psychopaths are guided by such a different thought process than non-psychopathic humans, we tend to find their behavior inexplicable. But they're actually much easier to predict than the rest of us once you understand them. Psychopaths follow much stricter behavior patterns than the rest of us because they are unfettered by conscience, living solely for their own aggrandizement. (The difference is so striking that Fuselier trains hostage negotiators to identify psychopaths during a standoff, and immediately reverse tactics if they think they're facing one. It's like flipping a switch between two alternate brain-mechanisms.)

The psychiatrists can't help speculating what might have happened if Columbine had never happened. Klebold, they agree, would never have pulled off Columbine without Harris. He might have gotten caught for some petty crime, gotten help in the process, and conceivably could have gone on to live a normal life.

Their view of Harris is more reassuring, in a certain way. Harris was not a wayward boy who could have been rescued. Harris, they believe, was irretrievable. He was a brilliant killer without a conscience, searching for the most diabolical scheme imaginable. If he had lived to adulthood and developed his murderous skills for many more years, there is no telling what he could have done. His death at Columbine may have stopped him from doing something even worse.

http://www.slate.com/id/2099203/

Oh like donning a uniform and carrying out his plan on a much grander scale?

A psychotic and a psychopath; sounds like a marriage made in heaven.

We just gots to learn to recognise the signs.......

Becoming part of the vernacular
    Since the shooting, "Columbine" or "the Columbine incident" has become a euphemism for a school shooting. Charles Andrew Williams, the Santana High School shooter, reportedly told his friends that he was going to "pull a Columbine", though none of them took him seriously. Many foiled school shooting plots mentioned Columbine and the desire to "outdo Harris and Klebold."[56]

Seung-Hui Cho, the shooter in the Virginia Tech massacre, mentioned "martyrs like Eric and Dylan" apparently referring to Columbine High School gunmen Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold.[57]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbine_High_School_massacre

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I just reread those two posts and my reaction is the same as it was the first time.
    • 1. You place too much reliance on psychology. Perhaps some day it will be a hard science with a useful accuracy rate, but that day is not in the foreseeable future.
    • 2. You assume that it's possible to distinguish teenagers who are truly psychotic from the ones who behave that way because it's cool. I was a teenager once and I clearly recall that there was a little psychosis in all of us.
    No I don't. The "big bully" we Americans are wary of is government. Deadly force applied or sponsored by governments kill roughly a hundred times as many victims as other human-on-human violence. I'll take my chances with the psychopaths.
    Well duh, welcome to reality. When your resources are finite (which is pretty much all the time) you have to allocate them wisely in order to maximize your accomplishments. Would you rather galvanize your people into saving a few dozen lives or fifteen thousand?
    It's not that it doesn't matter. It's that something else matters more. It's called priorities, something we're expected understand and cope with when we become adults, but sadly that is often not the case.
    He's several thousand times more likely to be on the highway between two drunk drivers. Which risk would you prefer to protect him from? As I already pointed out, he's as likely to be killed by lightning or bees as by a mass murderer. How much effort do you put into altering your lifestyle to protect him from those two "boutique risks"? Do you have an industrial-strength surge protector outboard of his computer so a lightning strike can't get through to his hands with only mild attenuation after setting your residential model on fire? Do you even know how to find out where Africanized honeybees are congregating this season? No? Well golly gee then I guess you don't love him very much.
    No, as much as I support the right to bear arms, as a libertarian I'm quite comfortable with the doctrine that children are born with very few rights, and they earn more as they display the maturity to exercise them wisely. I don't think high school students should be carrying guns any more than I think they should be drinking booze, driving cars or deciding for themselves whether to cut class.

The one aspect of this tragedy about which I probably agree with you is that the adults who made it so easy for those kids to not only possess such powerful guns but take them to school should be in prison. Guns are neither as ubiquitous nor as easy to conceal as cigarettes.
    It would cost (in very round numbers) $1.5 billion a year to equip every new car with a breathalyzer ignition interlock. Our fleet essentially turns over every fifteen years so by 2024 only a tiny fraction of drunk drivers with enough determination (and coordination!) to overcome them would still be on the road. By then we would have saved 120,000 lives for $23 billion.

An almost negligible fraction of the cost of the Iraq war, to save far more American lives than the war has saved.

You still want to pout and rail against rational risk management?

15. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Yeah, so goes yet another theory about the meaning of life ....

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Of course not. The term Existential angst only applies when someone walks around in a dignified Kierkegaard manner.

17. sniffy Banned Banned

18. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

That's what you want right? Another theory? A theory how to live or how to catch the psychotic or the unhappy or social safety or....

Many of us have obviously found meaning for themselves. when you go to see a therapist they don't tell you what to do, they dont tell you what the answer is or what the meaning is, they help guide you to yourself because you are the only person who can answer the question for yourself.

good luck Signal

Read Durkheim on anomie and then the existentialists response. Read the lives of those who inspire you. Ask whomever but you still are the only one who can give your life meaning. Sorry it sucks I know, life isn't a tv commercial or an after school special where all things are summed up in a nice little formula package.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  19. X-Man2 We're under no illusions. Registered Senior Member

I have somewhat different thoughts on killing.With these events everyone focuses on "how could anyone kill like this" Well first off I believe if killing was not against the law there would be tons of killings a day.I believe the act of killing is rare because most people do not want to lose their freedom or there life.In other words if people could kill without consequences to themselves, then there would be killing rampages everywhere.So the rarity of killings is more to do with loss of freedom or ones life rather than people naturally not having a killing nature.The 2 columbine boys were willing to give up everything for their killing and that is the rare part in my opinion.We have a basic nature or will to live and to be free while were alive.So my shock is " why throw everything away" not "why do people kill" Why do so many people think there must be something wrong with people who kill?

20. X-Man2 We're under no illusions. Registered Senior Member

I have somewhat different thoughts on killing.With these events everyone focuses on "how could anyone kill like this" Well first off I believe if killing was not against the law there would be tons of killings a day.I believe the act of killing is rare because most people do not want to lose their freedom or there life.In other words if people could kill without consequences to themselves, then there would be killing rampages everywhere.So the rarity of killings has more to do with loss of freedom or ones life rather than people naturally not having a killing nature.The 2 columbine boys were willing to give up everything for their killing and that is the rare part in my opinion.We have a basic nature or will to live and to be free while were alive.So my shock is " why throw everything away" not "why do people kill" Why do so many people think there must be something wrong with people who kill?

21. Roman Banned Banned

lol
    That's fucking awesome.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Sure. Hindsight is always 20/20. I'd like to see him pick a random sample of a couple of hundred teenage boys and tell us which of them are going to be the next killers. There's a reason even our shit-for-brains government doesn't actually let him do that. The error rate is unconscionable.
    You fall back on vapid rhetoric when you can't come up with a valid criticism?
    No we're not. Even in a bad year they only kill a few dozen people, in a country of three hundred million. That is a very small chance, not much greater than being killed by a vicious dog. Seriously, anyone who is tormented by miniscule possibilities like that would never be able to leave his bedroom. A thirteen-story construction crane fell on somebody a couple of years ago here in Washington, and last year two ladies were run over by a city bus. Based upon what I've seen in the news. I suspect that as many innocent civilians are killed by cops as by psychopaths. One of the incompetent, unaccountable swaggering thugs actually tried to catch a motorcycle on the Beltway in rush hour traffic. He crashed through the guard rail and hit a car head-on, killing everybody but (unfortunately) himself.
    This is a place of science. Please show me the evidence that supports your assertion. When has anyone demonstrated the ability to do that?
    The right to bear arms is not some silly lodge ritual that you have to swear to uphold in order to get your tax refund. The right to bear arms is one of the ways we keep our government at bay, so our children will not wake up one day and find themselves in a 21st century Nazi Germany or Soviet Union. This is about the children. Don't you get it? It would be far worse to have 100% of them enslaved by a fascist government than to have .00001% of them killed by psychos.
    As I said, those parents should be in prison.
    Hey, I'm a libertarian, not a Tibetan Buddhist. Self defense is permissible.
    Absolutely. Bereaved people deserve support and sympathy, but they must never be allowed to make policy. Bereavement commonly induces irrationality and selfishness.
    Huh? Where the fuck do you think war comes from? It's bereaved people seeking vengeance, the most evil of all human emotions. Revenge is arguably the single greatest threat to civilization, especially when coupled with religion.

The bullies in Northern Ireland were killing each other over their grief about something that happened several generations ago. The bullies in the Middle East are killing each other over their grief about something that happened more than a thousand years ago. Vengeance + religion = extremely dangerous bullshit.

23. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Don't direct this at me, because this isn't about me.

I want to see what goes on in the mind of someone like you, how you explain and justify your stance.

With an approach such as yours - which is very common nowadays in the West -, I am not surprised someone takes a gun and starts shooting people.