Real story behind Columbine

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by mikenostic, Apr 15, 2009.

1. sniffy Banned Banned

Thankyou Fraggle for shining a glaring light on the problem. If 'psychotic little shits' like the columbine killers don't kill themselves along with a few dozen others when they are 17 or 18 you can be pretty sure the rest of us will be compilcit giving them the kind of power that GB and SH and all the other psychotic big shits out there but with armies or nuclear weapons.

I don't worry or lose any sleep over the columbine killers, their peers or families but I'm pretty sure the next ones are out there with their psychotic little plans..... you know to blow up a mall, or a football stadium, or a country.

Whether or not such people can be stopped is debatable but I'm pretty sure that interventions can make a difference.

Do you get it yet Lucysnow?

Bullies, it's all their fault.

Created or born?

Control? There isn't any. There is only a timely intervention.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

For one, you said:

For two, I said:

There is no need to actually tell someone 'You are worthless, you are evil'. You can simply tell them 'You are a cold blooded psychotic too dead inside to be of 'any value' and send across the same message.

Moreover, just because someone blows their brains out, doesn't automatically mean he thinks he is worthless. There are people who think they are too good for this world, so they off themselves.

I don't understand? You seem to have missed a word there in the underlined part.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

No, read again:

Secondly, the connection between external hardship and internal suffering is not automatic nor necessary, nor always socially accepted, and is relative to a specific culture.

Which is the real problem behind Columbine. People cannot agree upon what the normal, healthy connection between an external hardship and internal suffering should be.

If someone beats you up, how sad should you be, if at all? What degree of personal affectation is still healthy, normal, and where is the line between under-sensitive and over-sensitive?

Moreover, hardship is also relative, depending on a society and its culture and economy (although the crisis is now levelling this out).
    For example, somewhere in Africa, having one lightbulb in your home is not poverty, but it is poverty for US standards. Generally, those Africans are not as disturbed by having one lightbulb in their home, as Americans generally are if they have only one lightbulb in their home.
    Or food: Some people think it's wealth to be able to eat once a day. Some other people would think this is poverty.

I think you are underestimating the importance of existential angst. Sure, existential angst seems superflous and idle in comparison to living in a landfill.

But satisfying a person's needs for bodily comfort does in no way guarantee that he will be happy or 'normal'. Which is what we can see in affluent societies all the time: people are relatively wealthy, they have food to eat - but as far as having proper spiritual nourishment is concerned, the West is pretty much a waste land.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Interventions like what?

Putting them in juvenile correctional facilities?
    Telling them to practice loving-kindness?

If I remember correctly, one of the Columbine killers had, shortly before the killings, completed an anger management course ...

8. sniffy Banned Banned

educating parents to recognise signs of psychotic little shits
    educating teachers to recognise signs of psychotic little shits
    educating students to recognise signs of pyschotic little shits
    educating parents as to how psychotic little shits are created (you know like aside from being just being bornded)
    educating teachers as to how psychotic little shits are created
    educating young people as to how they are behaving like psychotic little shits
    ensuring children don't get their hands on semi-automatic weapons cos for sure that might help in their endeavours to become psychotic little shits

Where the hell do you think terms like 'psychotic' come from?

I mean columbine is the one and only time this sort of thing has happened in America right?

And after the fact I keep hearing "oh yeah we were really concerned about him/her/them and their anger/bullying/nihilism".

Start with educating your frigging selves!

Bleating that they were just bullies doesn't cut it with me.

9. sniffy Banned Banned

There are four main symptoms associated with a psychotic episode:

hallucinations,
    delusions,
    confused and disturbed thoughts, and
    a lack of insight and self-awareness.
    Hallucinations
    A hallucination is when you think you perceive something that does not exist in reality. Hallucinations can occur in all five of your senses as outlined below.

Sight - someone with psychosis may see colours and shapes, or imaginary people, or animals.
    Sounds - someone with psychosis may hear voices that are angry, unpleasant or sarcastic.
    Touch - a common psychotic hallucination is that insects are crawling on the skin.
    Smell - usually a strange, or unpleasant, smell.
    Taste - some people with psychosis have complained of having a constant unpleasant taste in their mouth.
    Delusion
    A delusion is having an unshakable belief in something that is implausible, bizarre or obviously untrue. There are two common types of psychotic delusion that are described below.

Paranoid delusion

A person with psychosis will often believe that an individual or organisation is making plans to hurt or kill them, which in turn can lead to unusual behaviour. For example, a person with psychosis may refuse to be in the same room as a mobile phone because they believe they are actually mind-control devices.

Delusions of grandeur

A person with psychosis may have delusions of grandeur where they believe that they have some imaginary power, or authority. For example, they may think they are president of a country, or that they have the power to bring people back from the dead.

Confusion of thought
    People with psychosis often have disturbed, confused and disrupted patterns of thought. Signs of this include:

their speech may be rapid and constant,
    the content of their speech appears random; they may switch from one topic to another in mid-sentence, and
    their train of thought may suddenly stop, resulting in an abrupt pause in conversation or activity.
    Lack of insight
    People who are experiencing a psychotic episode often totally unaware that their behaviour is in any way strange, or that the delusions or hallucinations that they are experiencing could be imaginary.

They may be capable of recognising delusional or bizarre behaviour in others, but lack the self-awareness to recognise it themself. A person with psychosis who is being treated in a psychiatric ward will often complain that all of their fellow patients are mentally ill while they are perfectly normal.

source: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Psychosis/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

So any of this SOUND FAMILIAR bearing in mind columbine?

I would particularly be interested in hearing from the moderator on this one. You know this being a science site and all.....:shrug:

10. sniffy Banned Banned

Cowards the lot of you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Educating them all - and then what?

But there is no unified theory on how 'psychotic little shits are created'!

Sure. But what could have been done about that anger/bullying/nihilism?

Unless people are offered a truly meaningful way to live, killings like those at Columbine and all other crime will continue to happen.
    As long as we are expected to be happy with working, eating, sleeping, mating, defending and philosophical speculation, we are not going to be happy, and people are going to shoot people.

About what exactly? The meaning of life?

I never said that.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Everyone has motivation; life is indeed complicated. Yet we all share many of the same experiences, and nonetheless most of us react to even the worst ones in socially responsible ways. Look at the Auschwitz survivors who by all accounts got past the experience within five years or so, and went on to become beacons of tolerance and pacifism. Geeze who wouldn't feel at least a little sympathy for someone who crawled out of a concentration camp and turned into a mass murderer?

As I've pointed out many times on this forum, Homo sapiens is a pack-social species like most of the other primates and like dogs, our co-founders of civilization. We have synapses preprogrammed with instincts to love our pack-mates despite the occasional anger or disagreement. Civilization has been a ten-thousand year struggle to tweak that instinct and apply it to an ever-larger "pack," and most of us have occasional lapses during which we treat strangers unkindly. Yet I'm certain that none of us, nor anyone any of us knows personally, perhaps out to three or four degrees of separation, would ever go so far as to do serious harm to another human being, much less kill them.

Some people are just wired wrong, or perhaps they're still wired for the Stone Age.
    What kind of intervention? And how can you distinguish the kids who are just a little too boisterous and competitive from the ones who are going to grow up and shoot people? And how can you distinguish the ones who will join the army or the police force and shoot people they're ordered to shoot from the ones who will choose their own victims?

Psychology is the softest of the "soft sciences." Even people like me who routinely refer to Jungian archetypes and Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs in my management training classes are very likely, in the next breath, to dismiss clinical psychotherapy as voodoo because of its stunningly poor success rate.
    Surely it's not an either/or question. I don't think anyone doubts the evidence that kids who were the victims of physical violence at home are far more likely to use it as adults, either against their own children or in criminal enterprise.

There are many other kinds of abuse that don't leave visible scars. All a parent has to do is identify an individual child's weak points and push on them.
    These people aren't cowards and it's surprisingly unsophisticated of you to jump to such a facile conclusion. They're just good civilized human beings who recognize that "we're all in this together" and all the other cliches on the motivational posters that line the walls of school rooms and corporate conference centers.

We are pack-social creatures who, by instinct, rely on each other and care about each other. Trust is the glue that holds our packs together, whether a Stone Age pack of a few dozen closely-related people who have known each other since birth, a "pack" of city dwellers who learn to live in harmony and cooperation with total strangers, or a post-industrial "pack" of billions of people who are only anonymous abstractions to each other.

This is why the people in America overthrew our government (by peaceful constitutional means of course) in order to be kind to people on the other side of the planet whom we don't even like very much! This is who we are!

We can't accept the premise that someone is beyond help, and we can't escape the sad conviction that there was something we could have done to prevent things like Columbine if only we'd been a little sharper and a little less self-centered. I wonder if there's a spike in volunteers for charity after an event like Columbine or Virgina Tech?

You really don't want to live in a world where people don't feel that way about each other, regardless of how often they turn out to be wrong.

13. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Haha. I figured it would.
    People tend to do whatever they want without the thought of repercussions. It's then when I feel that someone has done that, especially if it affects me, that I will go out after them.

A few months ago, someone cut me off on the interstate, almost causing me to have a wreck. They were on their cell phone.
    I got in front of them, grabbed a handfull of pennies, chucked them out the window and saw them hit their windshield and saw the look on their face. They beeped their horn and flashed their high beams and got right on my ass.
    If I had been in my beater, I would have locked up the brakes so she could rear end me and have her ins. company pay for the damages.
    But I was in the Subaru and just stomped the gas and outran them. I got out of their sight and stopped at the next exit (should they have called the cops). I figured the cops would have shown up at my house sometime after that (if she got my tag #) but they never did.
    Even if they had, it would have been their word against mine. And I would have asked the cops if the other driver had any proof of that.
    Nothing came of it.
    but the moral of the story with me is, don't start nothin. Won't be nothin...because you never know what people are capable of.

14. sniffy Banned Banned

15. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Here is a hypothetical:

What if instead of indiscriminativly shooting everyone, they would have picked and chosen only those whom bullied them, mostly jocks? I bet the response to the whole affair would be quiet different...

The problem with these shooters that they always kill the wrong people....

16. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well who decides worth? They decided at the point they DECIDED to kill others and themselves that they were of no value? Its an assessment they made about LIFE their life and that of others. Am I to suppose people who behave like this are of value to anyone? I would have had more sympathy for them if they were simply suicides but even suicides are making the statement that they are no longer of any value. Evil is another thing entirely . Evil is for vinent price films. I never called them evil . I never said they were 'worthless' they made their lives worthless, worthless was their assessment of life itself.

To kill yourself because you think you are too good for the world?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Never heard of that one! Its either grief or cowardice.

Signal: I think you are underestimating the importance of existential angst. Sure, existential angst seems superflous and idle in comparison to living in a landfill.

Existential angst is not an excuse for murder. Existential angst is besides the point.

SNIFFY: Do you get it yet Lucysnow? Bullies, it's all their fault. Created or born?

I say born. They were worse than bullies they were cold hearted murderers, if you want to excuse them based on some notion of sympathy that's your business but you cannot expect others to waste their sentiments on them. I get that you believe there should be solutions. At present there are no solutions. You need someone to blame other than the parties because then you would feel there is a solution, there would be an easily assessed answer, culpability assigned. Life isn't always like that. Yes, the murders of others and themselves is their fault. Even if they had bad parents the actions they took were their decsions and theirs alone.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  17. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Signal: Unless people are offered a truly meaningful way to live, killings like those at Columbine and all other crime will continue to happen.
    As lon

You cannot offer someone a 'meaningful way of life' lifes meaning is something we all have to discover for ourselves, create for ourselves, these two didnt think it worth striving for.

FRAGGLE: Yet I'm certain that none of us, nor anyone any of us knows personally, perhaps out to three or four degrees of separation, would ever go so far as to do serious harm to another human being, much less kill them. Some people are just wired wrong, or perhaps they're still wired for the Stone Age.

I agree with you.

Fraggel: Geeze who wouldn't feel at least a little sympathy for someone who crawled out of a concentration camp and turned into a mass murderer?

I wouldn't. Its an explanation not a cause for sympathy. There are many who have suffered historical abuse who havent gone on to behave as predators. The abused becoming the abuser has an explanation but I its no cause for confusion when faced with an abuser. Whatever the childhood reasons its no way to vibe in the world, or like you said many who went through these camps do not hold up the notion that they are now entitled to abuse others based on a bad history. Look at all those people on talk shows who excuse themselves in front of an audience trying to garner sympathy for whatever behaviour based on their bad childhoods, it fosters a culture of brushing off responsibility, not taking ownership of ones problems and living in eternal victimhood. It also fosters an attitude where no one is able to point the finger and say 'this is simply wrong no matter what they hell you were through', then rights and needs of the abuser begins to override the rights and needs of the abused

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You got a crystal ball? I don't know any other way. You take ten thousand cranky high school kids and 9,999 of them will grow up to be responsible citizens. How do you find the one who won't?
    I'm as dedicated a pacifist as anyone so I understand your outrage. Nonetheless I see a qualitative difference between a man (and it's usually men) killing violent criminals or "enemy" soldiers in some semblance of defense of self, family or country, and one who kills non-violent people simply because he doesn't like them or because he doesn't like anyone.

As a libertarian I acknowledge the fundamental right of every citizen to defend himself and his loved ones against a direct threat of violence. When it comes to defense against indirect threats, or preemptive strikes against people who appear to be preparing to attack first, reasonable people will disagree on where to draw the line. But it's still qualitatively different from walking into your high school cafeteria and shooting people at random.

I can certainly spot that dichotomy. (And I don't quite understand your use of the word in this context.)
    You've lost me. If you're saying people are right to embrace some tiny portion of the guilt for Columbine I'm not going to argue with you because that's human nature. I just don't think we should be flagellating ourselves over it.
    Even in my youth during the Norman Rockwell 1950s, I knew plenty of kids whose parents were distracted, incompetent, drunk, absent, or just plain bad people. Several of those kids were clearly damaged by it and may still be living in pain. A few of them managed to end the pain by killing themselves (drunk driving in the days before seat belts and air bags, today I suppose it would be crack). But not a single one of them killed anyone else, with the possible exception of my lack of details on the drunk driving incidents. They certainly didn't rack up two-digit body counts.
    As I said, there are a lot of bullies in America's schools. How do you propose to cull out the ones who are going to become true sociopaths?

It would be really nice to improve everyone's parenting skills (or perhaps make it as daunting to have children naturally as it is to adopt one), to improve our schools so the kids aren't dying inside from lack of focus and exercise, and perhaps to simply wake up a hundred years from now on the other side of this Paradigm Shift when there isn't so much environmental stress on everyone due to uncertainty over the future. In the meantime even as a pacifist I'm reluctant to crack down on guns because I worry that our out-of-control too-big-for-its-britches government will one day send the Homeland Gestapo out on midnight raids, breaking into houses in a search for pitbulls, transfatty acids and gay marriage licenses. Not knowing which house has the guns might be the only thing that stops them since fascists, like all bullies, are notorious cowards.
    No I won't shoot you. But I'd be interested to see you figure out how to do that. First you have to find them. You can't simply pick on all bullies because most of them are just going through adolescence in a different way than you and I did but they'll come out of it just as healthy as you and I did.
    You're not picking up on the fact that they were not bullied. They were on the giving end of the bullying, not the receiving end. Now that the facts of the case have finally been dug up, it turns out that almost everything we were told about it when it happened was wrong. That's the point of the book!

19. sniffy Banned Banned

Well there you go then. Keep your guns and keep your bullies. Just don't be surprised when those bullies get younger and younger and younger and have an inclination to spray their classmates with bullets. Or keep their heads down long enough to worm their way into government. Or join the police force or the armed forces. I'm mean they're just bullies in an axis of evil type way, right? No patterns of behaviour, no indicators, just plain evil psychotic little shits from the get go.

Shall we all raise a drink to the next random mass shooting?

'There but for the grace of god, go I.'

clink

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You remind me of myself fifty years ago. You can see the problems and you are interested enough and responsible enough to have developed the ability to drill down to some of the root causes.

The next step is to offer hypothetical solutions for consideration. Where are they?

Don't offer gun control to Americans. We've seen the results in other countries. After Prague Spring was squashed, bumper stickers showed up on a lot of cars here, reminding us: "Czechs registered THEIR guns."

This is an issue of risk analysis and risk management. The average annual death toll from mass murderers in the USA is much fewer than 100. (I don't count Timothy McVeigh as a mass murderer because he satisfies every agenda-free definition of a terrorist.) This puts the risk of you or your loved ones dying in a "spray of bullets" in the same category as being killed by lightning or bees: an order of magnitude or two less important than a fatal fall in your own bathtub.

Drunk drivers kill fifteen thousand Americans every year, and they are a whole lot easier to identify and very cheap and easy to thwart (universal breathalyzer ignition interlocks) without a serious abridgement of anyone's constitutional rights. A rational risk analyst/manager would focus his resources on the risk that is two to three orders of magnitude more serious, especially when the cost-benefit analysis is a no-brainer: roughly $100,000 per life saved.

21. sniffy Banned Banned

Was that before you just gave up and gave in to the bullies? Or bought the party line?

Anyone listening? I mean if you try to get beyond 'well deys wuz just bullies' what do you get? Practically a Nazi sympathiser, sniffy is.

See posts 85 and 86 for a start.

Don't ask for solutions. Just tighten your grip on your gun. Give one to your son and daughter and then when the big bully comes and points a gun in their faces they can have a good old fashioned style shoot out and hopefully the best shot will win! I just hope your kids weren't born psychotic or something and get a bit above themselves........get me?

When did it become that, then? Teenagers killing teenagers a 'risk management issue'? Guess it just doesn't matter at all then, eh? Unless you've got your kid sitting next to some simmering psychotic little shit or worse, in-between two of them. Ah, but I keep forgetting that the obvious solution then is to have them all armed to the teeth and as long as they're driving BMWs they'll be OK!

Looks like you got that there drink drive problem solved Frag. Throw $100 000at it and there you go. Next!

Like I said this one is a bit too complex for us all so let's just file under the Baron's 'shit happens' and be a little extra vigilant when we next step into the road.

Switches on the TV news and has a beer.....

22. sniffy Banned Banned

Via link provided by Gustav in Anger Prelude thread:

People are covering up everything that went wrong and I want those lessons out there,” says Judy Brown. “They're doing studies, they're getting profiles. Everybody's trying to get programs going and what we can do. Well guess what? All the signs were there. You know what the lessons are? Do your job.”

In February of '99, Dylan Klebold turned in a story he wrote about an assassin in a black trench coat who shoots down students and bombs the city. "The man unloadeone of the pistols across the fronts of [the] four innocents," Klebold wrote. "The…streetlights caused a visible reflection off of the droplets of blood…I understood his actions."

Klebold's teacher later called it "the most vicious story she'd ever read," and voiced her concerns about it to Klebold's parents and his school counselor. But no school official ever looked into the matter, and it ended there. It was two months before the shootings.

23. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Ohhhhh sniffy, how does getting totally e-bitchslapped feel?
    old age and wisdom > youth and inexperience