Real story behind Columbine

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by mikenostic, Apr 15, 2009.

1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Rubbish.

When you're being bullied, it is not your responsibility to understand and take care of the bully.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I have heard that the bombs did not go off - that part was not bullshit. It could have been much much worse.

Bottom line, if no one fucked with them they probably wouldn't have done it right? Yeah what they did was wrong, what was done to them was not even close to what they did....but that's how offensive behavior works...it tends to multiply.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

It seems that you're blaming everyone but the actual criminals.
    Did you read Fraggle's post? It turns out nobody fucked with them, this wasn't revenge: they were just psycho's.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

acording to ONE oerson who wasnt the coronor i might add. would love to see HIS backstory and political adjender i might add

and yes i dont blame them mad, anymore than i blame the victom of spousal abuse

8. sniffy Banned Banned

Columbine shooters came up with a plan "designed to demonstrate their innate superiority"

Can anyone spot a relationship between these two statements?

Shame on you Fraggle; shame on you.

9. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Ok Roman and Asguard. Please take a look at this and then tell me this isn't sociopathic if not psychotic behaviour. I don't believe for one second that 'bullying' is the sole cause for this kind of nihilistic action, its already been common knowledge for a while that they had planned this for a long time. I disagree with the 'loner' label as there are pictures of them in a group, they had their own crowd they ran with even if they were not the 'in' crowd. No one is saying bullying is good for kids or doesn't have negative consequences but please lets have some perspective here.
    I wouldn't even say that they succumbed to depression, PTSD or any of that crap, they are prime examples of anomie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKDvT1f6HDc&feature=related

Frags Washington piece states:

"We remember Columbine," Cullen writes, "as a pair of outcast Goths from the Trench Coat Mafia snapping and [then] tearing through their high school hunting down jocks to settle a long-running feud. Almost none of that happened. No Goths, no outcasts, nobody snapping. No targets, no feud, and no Trench Coat Mafia. Most of those elements existed at Columbine -- which is what gave them such currency. They just had nothing to do with the murders."

They claim:

Far from feckless pariahs, in fact, the two shooters in the Columbine case -- Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold -- were smart, reasonably popular kids who doled out more bullying than they ever suffered. Their shooting spree was not some precipitous act of revenge against specific tormentors, but more like an elaborately planned theater piece, worked out almost a year in advance, designed to demonstrate their innate superiority by indiscriminately killing as many victims as possible.

Harris and Klebold, moreover, were hardly cookie-cutter assassins. As Cullen depicts him, Harris was a sadistic and expertly manipulative psychopath, charming when he wanted to be, capable of simulating remorse, good will or cooperation if it helped him get his way. His underlying motivation was relatively simple: "I hate the [expletive] world," he complained in his journal. Klebold, on the other hand, was a tortured, erratic depressive who whined at length in his notebooks about love and romance even as he fulminated about "the real people (gods)" -- i.e., himself and Harris -- being "slaves to the majority of zombies." Klebold's aggression was inwardly directed and complex: "Good god I HATE my life," he wrote, "i want to die really bad now."

And so they did and good riddance to them.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

wow the same single source and im just as suspicious of it as when i first read it. after all admiting the fault DOESNT lie just with them means that alot of people have to admit the fault lies with themselves. that starts with those who opose gun restrictions and goes right through to the parents of the dead

11. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Bad parenting and lax gun restrictions does not account nor excuse nor explain their behaviour. Did you see the video footage?

12. John99 Banned Banned

yes, i would say that is rather obvious. it isnt fair to people who are genuine victims of abuse because the both of them were probably nasty bastards whereas people who are bullied are more shy and self conscious.

well the bottom line is that i dont really see too much difference between this and serial killers.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

trust me, i would have LOVED to have blown quite a few of the kids i went to school with and im no sociopath.

14. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

But you didn't. There is a difference between thought and behaviour and when someone gets to the point where they have to act out all their thoughts without discrimination its a sign of mental illness.

Why are you so hard pressed to defend these two guys?

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

yea i didnt, i didnt have access to a gun. if i had *shrug*

since when do we blame the victoms of an illness for there symptoms. this only happens with mental illness and HIV

OH and i have suffered deoression as long as i can rember. i still do off and on. when i told my shrink what i went through at school his jaw dropped

16. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Depression is beside the point and doesn't lead to murder. THEY WERE NOT VICTIMS. They planned this over a year, more than enough time for a reality check if not one of conscience which was obviously lacking. I don't have an ounce of sympathy for either of them. It seems to me your sympathies are misplaced. By the way, if they had acted out of distress during an abusive situation I would agree with you but they planned and their victims were of random whomever is in front of me targets. Also its like I posted on the animal snuff thread, you speak of killing in its abstract form 'oh I could really kill...' without having a clue what it means to actually have to act in this manner. There have been soldiers under fire who have hesistated to pull the trigger because they had never shot at anyone before. Killing takes practise, killing takes a cold gut. They didn't kill out of passion or despair, they killed because they were dead, the dead don't despair because the dead feel nothing. They attached no value to life, their own and others. That last sentence I add is what makes them sociopaths and their actions are what makes them psychotic.

17. sniffy Banned Banned

Trying again to make connections:

their innate superiority by indiscriminately killing as many victims as possible.

His underlying motivation was relatively simple: "I hate the [expletive] world,"

he fulminated about "the real people (gods)" -- i.e., himself and Harris -- being "slaves to the majority of zombies."

Sound familiar?

A little superiority complex can be a very dangerous thing.......

18. Bells Staff Member

They came from good families, were popular and even bullies at school. There was no indication that they suffered from depression or were bullied themselves which led them on their rampage. They planned this for over a year, in fairly minute detail.

So you're looking to blame everyone but them?

They were a couple of psychos. Their actions were that of psychos. Place the blame where it belongs, on them.

Sure, we can blame the lax gun laws. But their initial plan was not to go in shooting. Their initial plan was to place two bombs to cause maximum damage and death and then shoot any survivors who managed to climb out of the rubble. They went in and shot up the school because the bombs did not go off. Let us imagine that the US had stricter gun laws and they had no guns but had instead placed the bombs and those bombs had detonated. What then? What laws could be blamed then?

Can the parents be blamed? For what? Were they bad parents? Were they abused children? No, they were not abused. Is there any evidence that they were brought up by bad parents?

Sometimes, people from perfectly good homes and who suffer no mental illnesses, who aren't bullied, can be psychotic little shits. These two were and unfortunately, they were able to befriend each other and carried out their murderous rampage.

They had absolutely no feelings for their victims. They were cold blooded killers.

This book was written by someone who studied them and their acts in quite a bit of depth. 10 years of research. Not something to scoff at or ignore. Just because it doesn't fit in with what you think it should be does not make it any less right.

19. sniffy Banned Banned

So how does one prevent psychotic juvenile shits from becoming psychotic adult shits? Just allow them to kill thmselves and hope they don't take too many others with them?

Sounds like a solution to these kinds of incidents? Doesn't it?

Or maybe start to recognise that there may be some common psychotic signs...like saying or writing repeatedly:

"I hate the fucking world" "I want to die" "I want to kill the fucking world"

I mean if my kid said or wrote those things and stockpiled weapons I might be a little concerned.....

20. Bells Staff Member

Yes. But did the parents know they were stockpiling weapons and writing that? Do you read your children's emails and their diaries/journals when they aren't looking?

If the signs were obvious, then yes. But if they are not.. in that if the kids are able to hide their true feelings from those around them, how can anyone know?

21. sniffy Banned Banned

Q1 How the fucking hell can juveniles stockpile weapons without anyone knowing?
    Q2 I would hope that I could talk to my children and that they could talk to me especially if they were feeling like killing themselves or others. Did these kids have the opportunity to do that? Did they show any outward signs of their psychosis (let me help here: The answer is YES!!!)?
    Q3 Everyone here seems quite happy to let the buck stop with these two young people, branding them as psychotic little shits and moving swiftly on but is that the best we can do when children kill other children?

Ah well life's a bitch and all that. What can you do. Shit happens as BM would say. Let's just let the families involved deal with it all. God forbid we might as a society ever learn anything from these tragic one off events. Oh but hang on...they're not fucking one off events are they?

Wake up.

22. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

But Sniffy wouldn't you agree that though there are things that need changing whether they be gun laws, parent involvement etc that these two 17 & 18 year old youths are still ultimately responsible for their actions? The fact that there may be others to blame doesn't make them any less responsible.

23. sniffy Banned Banned

Hmm a small clue to the mental state of at least one of them here perhaps....

Klebald described as:

" a tortured, erratic depressive "

Now I do wonder where that 'diagnosis' came from? Given that the boy is now dead.

Now I ask you Bells: If one of your kids was described in this way do you think you might notice something worthy of your concern before or after he'd taken out himself and several of his fellow students and teachers?