Raising Children Without the Concept of Sin

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Goldtop, Jan 31, 2019.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

Actually I do. Not as well as some friends of mine (molecular biologists, geneticists) but I do understand the basics. That understanding has come from formal training and informal research over the years.

Again we are seeing the argument from incredulity - "I don't understand it; therefore no one does."
    Nope.

Motors work. We know how. We can see them work. But if you don't understand how they work ,it seems like magic - an invisible force doing our work for us!

747's fly. We know how. We can see them fly. But if you don't understand how they work, they seem like magic - nothing but air holding up that massive plane!

Evolution works. We know how. We can see it happen. But if you don't understand how it works, it seems like magic - organisms that look like one thing turning into different ones!
    Because that is what it is. It's in the definition of the word.
    Again the argument from incredulity.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

It’s not that.
    I just don’t believe you.

Jan.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

No it doesn’t.
    Magic is when you put Fido into a hat, and Jonah pops out.

We know motors, aeroplanes, and evolution works. And no, it does not seem like magic.

Like I said, you’re entitled to believe what you want. But that is all it is, a belief.

Jan

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

@bilvon

Do you believe in God?

Jan.

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Because it meets the criteria, fits the definition, etc.
    Same as any other label.
    And nobody is doing that. So magic is not involved.
    You have repeatedly posted basic misunderstanding, as you did right there with the "magic" bs.
    Your claim of disbelief is irrelevant, in that context.

But it is relevant in the context of your agenda here. It is part of what has to be dealt with, explained, in considering why it is that overt Abrahamic theists post with such deep and ineradicable dishonesty on science forums.

Jeeves likes this.
  9. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

No it doesn’t.
    Sorry to be so blunt, but it’s true.
    Aside from the idea of whale evolution being quite silly. There is no way that you can know that Fido turned into Willy.

Nobody objects to James R’s depiction of theism as belief in magic. So I figure it’s alright to take the piss out of that which you don’t believe in.

Jan.

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

That's fine. You work in the realm of belief and superstition; I prefer science. Science doesn't care. You can believe you can jump out a window and fly all you want - but gravity still wins.
    Your thinking something is "silly" means exactly nothing. And while we don't know Fido turned into Willy, we do know that Pakicetus turned into cetaceans.

Slime molds are silly; doesn't mean they don't exist.
    Or when you put some magic dust in barley water and beer pops out! Yes, it can seem like magic when you don't understand it.
    Then you are very confused, since you say it's both magic and it's not magic.
    Ah. Thank you for admitting that your posting is just "taking the piss."
    Yes, but it's nothing that you would understand, given your track record.

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That's one reason nobody except overt Abrahamic theists says that's what's supposed to have happened.
    And in your case, that half of the fundie two-step - misrepresent, attack personally - is by now simply repetition.
    It's false.
    And you are counting on your audience granting you a presumption of innocence - a presumption of honest incomprehension - you have long since ceased to deserve.
    Pretending to incomprehension at that level doesn't work any more.

12. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I know I miss a couple of steps dues to an aversion to nonsense, but how do you throw sin into a hat and pull out a whale?
    Okay, I get a medium-sized land carnivore making the necessary adaptations over 50 million years (that's one frickin deep hat! long enough to turn a lemur into a man) to become a salt-water carnivore, but I don't see how that's got anything to do with the tabu against knowing right and wrong.

13. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Reading between the ignored it seems that whales evolved from dogs

Ya right

Just like chickens evolved from brontosaurus

How would it be if instead of KFC we had KFB?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

You don’t like that. Do you?
    Yet that is how all the atheists that participate here, and the atheists community in general, behave toward theists, and people of religion, almost all the time, without the batting of an eyelid.

Jan,

15. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I don’t think you really take into account what I say, as you’re too busy stacking the strawJan ya’ll created.

So why do you reject and deny God, if you believe in God?

Jan.

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That is your posting agenda: misrepresent, then slander. It's essentially all you do here. And it is universal among your fellow fundies.
    The question is why. This characteristic of overt Abrahamic "belief" (claimed) is striking - some kind of explanation is called for.

17. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

More denial?
    Why am I not surprised?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

"Fellow lefties"?
    Misrepresentation, personal attack. Your agenda here.
    And remember the damage:

19. billvon Valued Senior Member

I don't. I just reject your version.
    No. It's how they behave towards YOU. Most theists are practical, intelligent people.

20. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Why?

What is the difference between me and what you believe to be practical intelligent theists?

Jan.

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

An acceptance of science, primarily. Typically they do not distort the bible to try to "prove" it is correct. They tend to consider it a historical document of great interest - to be studied for sure, but as a fallible transcription of an oral history of a people.

22. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

You have “fellow lefties”?

I’m responding to misrepresentation. It seems like you can’t take what you dish out.

Jan

23. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Present some science , instead of just-so stories

Where have I done this?

What does that statement mean?

Jan