Quotes to remember

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by wegs, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“The most important reason for going from one place to another is to see what's in between, and they took great pleasure in doing just that.”
    ― Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I laughed, and thankfully, I wasn’t sipping tea when I read this.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“You learn to get by from day to day," Sam Regan said sympathetically to him. "You never think in longer terms. Just until dinner or until time for bed; very finite intervals and tasks and pleasures. Escapes.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"In round numbers, our Milky Way galaxy alone should hold about a trillion worlds, each and every one of them a unique entity with its own history. If we add the hundreds of billions of other galaxies within our cosmic bubble, we count about a trillion trillion worlds in our universe, give or take a factor of one hundred. (A geeky comment: It is funny that this is so close to Avogadro’s number, the number of atoms in one gram of hydrogen.)"---Marcelo Geisler, Big Think

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“All religions, nearly all philosophies, and even a part of science testify to the unwearying, heroic effort of mankind desperately denying its contingency.”
    ― Jacques Monod, Chance and Necessity: An Essay on the Natural Philosophy of Modern Biology

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“One ought to pretend that there is still hope, in this late season, for astonishment.”
    ― Dexter Palmer, Mary Toft; or, The Rabbit Queen

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Mind over matter, people say. But what is matter, anyway? When you look at it under a microscope, it's just tiny bits of stuff. Atomic particles. Sub-atomic particles. Look deeper and deeper and eventually you'll find nothing. We're mostly empty space. We're mostly nothing. Tra-la-la. And we're all the same nothingness. You and me, just filling the space with nothingness. We could walk through walls if we put our minds to it, people say. What they don't mention is that walking through a wall would most likely kill you. Don't forget that.”
    ― Ottessa Moshfegh, My Year of Rest and Relaxation

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

C C likes this.
  14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"...contrary to the naïve dogmatists’ view, that which science captures are not the things themselves, but simply relationships between them. Beyond these relations, there is no knowable reality..." -- Henri Poincare, "Science and Hypothesis"

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“When every inch of the world is known, sleep may be the only wilderness that we have left.”
    ― Louise Erdrich, The Blue Jay's Dance: A Birth Year

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Not I, nor anyone else can travel that road for you.
    You must travel it by yourself.
    It is not far. It is within reach.
    Perhaps you have been on it since you were born, and did not know.
    Perhaps it is everywhere - on water and land.”
    ― Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are– bald or old or fat or poor, successful or struggling- when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.”
    ― Charles B. Handy

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“My whole wretched life swam before my weary eyes, and I realized no matter what you do it's bound to be a waste of time in the end so you might as well go mad.”
    ― Jack Kerouac, On the Road: The Original Scroll

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“The misconception which has haunted philosophic literature throughout the centuries is the notion of 'independent existence.' There is no such mode of existence; every entity is to be understood in terms of the way it is interwoven with the rest of the universe.”
    ― Alfred North Whitehead

21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“I think that my job is to observe people and the world, and not to judge them. I always hope to position myself away from so-called conclusions. I would like to leave everything wide open to all the possibilities in the world.”
    ― Haruki Murakami

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“He had been bored, that's all, bored like most people. Hence he had made himself out of whole cloth a life full of complications and drama. Something must happen - and that explains most human commitments. Something must happen, even loveless slavery, even war or death. Hurray then for funerals!”
    ― Albert Camus, The Fall

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“We are beasts, you know, beasts risen from the savannas and jungles and forests. We have come down from the trees and up out of the water, but you can never, ever fully remove the feral nature from our psyches.”
    ― Yasmine Galenorn, Totem Magic: Dance of the Shape-Shifter