Quotes & Talk

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by R1D2, Dec 23, 2012.

1. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Spoken from a prerecorded piece of paper written and directed by NASA officials, without any soul in it whatsoever.

Just bland literature text block.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Develop the mind of equilibrium. You will always be getting praise and blame, but do not let either affect the poise of the mind: follow the calmness, the absence of pride.

-Sutta Nipata

To laugh often and much;
    to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children,
    to leave the world a better place,
    to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived,
    this is to have succeeded.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Science and democracy have very consonant values and approaches, and I don't think you can have one without the other.
    Carl Sagan, 1996

Success is not the key to happiness.
    Happiness is the key to success.
    If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
    - Albert Schweitzer

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
    - Winston Churchill

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Nonetheless, I think that very accurately presents the way Lovell and others feel when viewing the earth from so far away.

"This is it. Maybe we should take better care of it."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

"If: we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

By
    Junius P. Long

Food For Thought

If: you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally ...you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If: you have to get your parents’ permission to go on a field trip or take an aspirin in school, but not to get an abortion ... you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If: the only school curriculum allowed to explain how we got here is evolution, but the government stops a $15 million construction project to keep a rare spider from evolving to extinction ... you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If: you have to show identification to board an airplane, cash a check, buy liquor or check out a library book, but not to vote who runs the government ... you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If: the government wants to ban stable, law-abiding citizens from owning gun magazines with more than ten rounds, but gives 20 F-16 fighter jets to the crazy new leaders in Egypt ... you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If: in the largest city, you can buy two 16-ounce sodas, but not a 24-ounce soda because 24-ounces of a sugary drink might make you fat ... you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If: an 80-year-old woman can be stripped searched by the TSA but a woman in a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched ... you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If: your government believes that the best way to eradicate trillions of dollars of debt is to spend trillions more ...you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If: a seven year old boy can be thrown out of school for saying his teacher’s "cute," but hosting a sexual exploration or diversity class in grade school is perfectly acceptable ... you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If: children are forcibly removed from parents who discipline them with spankings while children of addicts are left in filth and drug infested “homes”... you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If: hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government intrusion, while not working is rewarded with EBT cards, WIC checks, Medicaid, subsidized housing and free cell phones ... you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If: the government's plan for getting people back to work is to incentivize NOT working with 99 weeks of unemployment checks and no requirement to prove they applied but can’t find work ... you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If: being stripped of the ability to defend yourself makes you more "safe" according to the government ... you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If: you are offended by this article, I'll bet you voted for the idiots who are running, and ruining our great country.

8. elte Valued Senior Member

They don't care how much we know until they know how much we care.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The brouhaha over illegal immigration was always about Mexicans. You might stop and consider the fact that up until very recently the U.S.-Mexican border marked the greatest disparity in personal income of any two adjacent countries on earth--greater even than Germany/Poland, Finland/USSR or South Korea/North Korea. You also might consider the fact that for more than a century the U.S. government and U.S. capitalists regarded Mexico as a resource to be plundered, supporting the P.R.I. with money, advisors and weapons to keep the rich rich and the poor poor, including the indigenous people.

Now put yourself in the place of one of those Mexican people: no paved roads, no schools for your children, no job or perhaps seasonal menial labor that barely pays enough to buy food during the harvest season, in other words, no way out. And then you manage to hitch a ride north, which costs all of the money your family had and puts you at constant risk of being killed in the crossfire of the shit-for-brains U.S. government's "War On Drugs." You make it to the border and you see the healthy, well-fed, well-clothed people, the courtesy and confidence in the sparkling clean streets of Texas, Arizona or California. And some Religious Redneck Retard is standing there telling you, "Go home! We don't want your kind here!"

Whatcha gonna do? Listen to the asshole?

Besides, in case you haven't been paying attention, in one generation Mexico has transformed itself into a middle-class country. Net immigration from Mexico is now negative, as people move back home to work in the factories there or start their own businesses. Anybody who thinks Mexico needs to be the focus of our campaign against illegal immigration hasn't been keeping up with the news.

There are two sides to every debate, and this particular Religious Redneck Retard is only telling us one side.

SciForums is a place of science. It says so in our name. Evolution has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt and is part of the canon of science. The need to stop the extinction of species is also accepted by all educated, scientifically literate people. Once again, this is clearly the ravings of a looniebird. I'm sure all of our educated members are laughing their heads off.

There are fewer than 50 cases of voter fraud in every election. In other words, there isn't even one in every state. This is hardly a crisis. Whereas in the Religious Redneck Retard Revival states it is so difficult for working-class Afro-Americans to get an ID, that the voter-identification laws are poorly-disguised attempts to reinstitute Jim Crow.

You seem to think that teenagers should have to show ID to get an abortion, even though teen pregnancy is a self-perpetuating epidemic. So I'm curious why you don't think they should have to show ID to buy vodka.

Weapons like that have only one purpose: to wreak havoc. No legitimate sportsman needs them, and every legitimate sportsman will back me up on that statement. As for the inane argument that we'll need those weapons to rebel against an out-of-control government, all I can say is that these gun-totin' morons have not seen the weapons that the government has. You and your assault rifle will last ten seconds against them. They have drones that can find you inside your house in the dark by your heat signature, and shoot you in your sleep. And by the way, I know the news doesn't travel very fast to Mississippi, but it's time to understand that the next war will be fought in cyberspace--whether it's a traditional war between countries, a religious war, or a civil war. If any of your children are smart enough to graduate from high school, and not already pregnant, try to get them to go to college and study information technology. They won't be needing any guns.

Physical violence is not "discipline." It is called child abuse. Those parents should be sterilized and sent to a gulag.

Every gun in this country is three times as likely to be used to murder an innocent person--by the owner in a moment of anger or confusion, by a member of the owner's family who finds it but doesn't know how to use it, by an intruder who wrestles it away from the owner, by a burglar who steals it from the owner, or buy some other crook who buys it from that burglar. Every gun in this country is also three times as likely to be used to commit suicide--by the owner who might find his way out of his depression if he had to take the time and make the preparations to do it some other way, by a member of the owner's family, or by somebody who is a little unbalanced but is able to buy it without a background check from the aforementioned burglar at a gun show.

That's six tragedies for every single instance of legitimate self-defense against an intruder or a marauding bear. So don't give me this NRA propaganda about how guns make us safer. In fact guns make every single one of us less safe. America has turned an unbelievable corner: More of us are now killed by gun violence than in road accidents!

For one out of every hundred Americans, their cause of death will be gun violence.

I'm always offended by stupidity.

No, I always vote against the candidates from both wings of the Republocrat Party. In the 1960s and 70s I voted Peace & Freedom since every President since Eisenhower had betrayed us. In the 1980s, 90s and 2000s I voted Libertarian, but because of their liberal bias on personal liberty rather than their conservative bias on economic liberty. Now I'm no longer convinced that simply reducing the size of government is our most important goal, and besides very few Americans believe that anyway so there's no point in standing in front of that train. So I'm voting Green next time. The issues humanity faces now completely transcend petty national interests.

10. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

From my understanding is that some people want ILLEAGLE ALIENS not LEGAL ALIENS to be deported, there's a difference between the two and it seems that many people , like yourself, only see those who want all Mexicans to leave which is not what they are saying at all.

11. IncogNegro Banned Banned

Nothing quenches our grip on mortality like the loss of a loved one- IN

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

life . . . no one gets out alive.
    -leopold.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You didn't get my point at all.

IT DOESN'T MATTER! They're all here for the same reason: because their life is unbearable and there's a better life here!

I guarantee that if you were forced to live in rural Mexico in 1990 (as a Mexican, with no U.S. passport, no credit cards, no university degree to qualify for a great job in the city), with no paved roads, no telephone, no job, watching your children grow up with no hope... YOU WOULD TRY TO CROSS THAT BORDER! Even if there was a good chance that you'd be killed along the way.

You have absolutely no empathy. I feel sorry for you. I hope your life never takes a downturn that forces you to rely on the compassion and generosity of foreigners.

This could very easily happen, since both branches of the Republocrat Party have lost their minds.

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

"i am become death, the destroyer of worlds"
    -j. robert oppenheimer, after witnessing the first a-bomb test.

"now we are all sons of bitches"
    -kenneth bainbridge, test director, after witnessing the same test.

15. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

“The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep.”
    ―E. W. Howe

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

the sober second opinion of the people is seldom wrong.
    -thomas jefferson.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. -- G. K. Chesterton

18. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." ~Theodore Roosevelt
    *It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe,that lures him to evil ways.
    -The Buddha
    *Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?~Joker
    Si vis pacem, para bellum -the punisher