Questions for the religous

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Mrs.Lucysnow, Jul 6, 2009.

1. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

I was raised in a non-religious but vaguely CofE household. In school we learned a few cherry picked Bible stories but it was never forced down our throats in the fire and brimstone sense.

In middle school (up to the age of 11) we would get regular visits from a local vicar but he would often have to field logical questions about the nature of God, I think he knew we weren't falling for his sales pitch.

I came to the conclusion that there was no God based on my own enquiries into evolution and the natural sciences, which was started by my interest in Dinosaurs.

I've never heard a single convincing argument for the reality of a God(s) or the supernatural.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

What do you mean by 'the ability to believe was given to you'? How can something outside of your person teach you to believe?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well for anyone who has had a religion and changed it or stuck with it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Balerion Banned Banned

That's not what you said, though. You said indoctrination is the key. You said you don't become religious without indoctrination as a child. So no, it doesn't matter if his parents were Christians. If they were, they were lax Christians. He was not religious, and I'm not even sure he had a casual belief in God before he converted.

You've obviously never studied philosophy...

Oh, now I remember why I had you on ignore. You just talk shit when you can't come up with anything intelligent...which is pretty much all the time.

Seriously, you just called him brain-dead and you don't even know the kid. But I guess not knowing anything about a subject hasn't stopped you from pontificating on it before.

Coming from someone who doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about, I'll take that as a compliment.

How do you know?

8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

After I was exposed to atheism ( I did not even conceive of the notion until I was exposed to it) I began questioning my own beliefs until I got to the point that I am now: agnostic atheist. I also saw through the illusion of "morality" and every other human construct designed to control others.

Why so blown away? What would be the first thing you would have expected?

9. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

You said: "He didn't even exist."

In response to your assertion, two questions have been put to you
    --> "And you know this...how?"
    --> "How do you know?"

You weren't asked why you suspect he never existed...no, you were asked HOW do you KNOW he didn't exist?

Kindly elaborate as to HOW YOU KNOW Jesus never existed.

10. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

And as I said, the only reason we "know" Constantine and all of these others existed is due to historical texts and anecdotes; statues; and such. The same for Jesus, so you really can't use that argument.

11. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

I was raised in a mad planet where human minds can read, speculate and manipulate everything whether it exist or do not exist. Now humans have the craziest dreams and possibilities. So I only believe in human minds which are capable of creating heaven and hell (depending on their moods).

12. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

have you searched for answers to them offered by religious scholars?

are you sure your questions aren't answered somewhere?

13. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I don't know, I guess I'm used to thinking of you as the transhumanist libertarian. I've never associated you with any religious belief nor would I ever have guessed that you were once religious.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Put me back on ignore, please.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

The possibility that Jesus existed, based on the evidence is infinitesimally small, as we can only account it from scriptures, while the probability of his existence, based on the description from scriptures is unequivocally impossible.

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

The ultimate question of "if there's a god, where is he?" has not been answered.

Well, now you know

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If anything, that makes me more well-rounded, I'd say.

According to your logic: constantine never existed, because the thunder in the sky telling him to conquer is impossible thus his chance for existing is very small and he never existed because all we have are historical texts.

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Huh? :shrug:

18. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

You're missing the point.
    The only "evidence" we have of Jesus is the scriptures - ONE source, nothing else.
    For all the other historical figures there are multitudinous sources.

19. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

We have more than one source for Jesus

The scriptures; various books; paintings, and artifacts like the cross. I happen to think that Jesus did indeed exist but of course he wasn't holy or anything.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, all that stuff came after the gospels, the gospels were the source.

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

When do you think those scriptures about Jesus were written?

What books, exactly?

I had a painting of dogs playing poker. Can dogs play poker?

Crucifixions were well underway long before Jesus.

22. swarm Registered Senior Member

Then you have learned nothing.

23. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Learned nothing by doing what? By renouncing my fate? Of course I have learned! I have seen through the illusions created to control us. Talk of heaven and hell...talk of good and evil...these things are designed to get us to think and behave in the manner they want, and not in a manner that we please.