QM + GR = black holes cannot exist

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by RJBeery, Sep 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuarkHead Remedial Math Student Valued Senior Member

So, in spite of many well-intentioned people's attempts to give honest and well thought answers in this thread, we are down to this level?

And thanks to Motor Daddy

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I was responding to Beconator when you responded to me talking about how you're wrong 1 out of 20 times. Then you fantasize that it's all my fault the world is a POS??

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The most relevant thing to be derived from this thread so far, is that the title "QM+GR = BH's cannot exist" is another misnomer perpetrated by another Alternative hypothesis pusher.
    BH's have been shown to almost certainly exist, based on the fact that no one has yet been able to explain the observed effects on matter/energy and spacetime on the regions surrounding these gravitationaly completely collapsed objects.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Farsight

Thanks for this tashja. I have to say that IMHO this "waterfall" answer is cargo-cult crap. A gravitational field alters the motion of light and matter through space, but it doesn't suck space in.

8. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

Strong words from someone who can't do the science and isn't in a position to judge whether an analogy is good or not,

9. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Farsight dismisses as 'cargo-cult crap' an analogy meant just for him, so he can try to understand it.

Most people already understand that it is an analogy. Not a misunderstood quote picked from a treatise he didn't read.

10. tashja Registered Senior Member

Paddoboy, here's Prof. Olum's reply to your follow-up:

I get it, but as you say, the details are not finalized, so I don't think anyone can give you a good answer to your questions within those scenarios. In any case, if black holes do radiate from within, the picture described by Prof. Begelman below should be roughly valid.

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Many thanks!

tashja likes this.
  12. tashja Registered Senior Member

lol. I guess you are resolved in your mind. Nevertheless, it was an interesting thought experiment and it fostered the discussion. You're welcome.

13. Farsight

I like to think I understand gravity, tashja, because I've read the original material. Einstein thought of a gravitational field as "a state of space". And not some Chicken-Little sky-falling-in state of space. He also said a curvature of rays of light can only occur when the speed of light varies with position. With that in mind, there's only one answer to the gedankenexperiment that's in line with Einstein.

I think the differences in the responses are interesting. To summarise, Moore gave what I thought was the right answer, S Shapiro didn't answer the question, Baez gave what I thought was the right answer, Olum's answer started off OK but then turned into the waterfall analogy, which I think is junk, and Begelman's answer seemed partially correct. Obviously they can't all be correct.

14. QuarkHead Remedial Math Student Valued Senior Member

We note the telling phrase "like to think". I "like to think" you don't - stalemate. Great science!!
    But, as I know to my cost, reading and understanding are quite different things
    Then you clearly have no idea what a 4-manifold is, specifically a semi Riemann 4-manifold that Minkowski called spacetme. This is absolutely the structure that the Field Equations are based on.

2 points you might like to consider: in mathematics (and I assume in mathematical physics) the term "space" is used to refer to the "playground" you are working in, not necessarily "physical space" (whatever that is) .

There is absolutely no doubt that the Field equations refer to spacetime. Have you read, understood and derived these equations?

Second, for just this reason, and others, in English translation E. often says "space" when he means spacetime. Just as he often says "velocity" when he means "speed" (according to Google translate, these are the same words in German)

As for passing judgement on qualified university faculty on the basis of whether or not they agree with the omniscient (and unqualified) Farsight, it quite literally beggars belief

Dr_Toad likes this.
  15. Farsight

I do, and it just isn't what space is. Space is real, it's physical, it's what light moves through. There's no motion in spacetime, it's a static abstract "structure".

IMHO that's part of the problem. Einstein said spacetime in one sentence and space in another, and he was referring to two different things. But many people see no distinction between the two. I point to the Baez article which says this: Similarly, in general relativity gravity is not really a 'force', but just a manifestation of the curvature of spacetime. Note: not the curvature of space, but of spacetime. The distinction is crucial. But people like you just can't accept the distinction. NB: apologies for not responding to your post #548. I was tied up for a few days. The metric has 10 components because you're measuring motion through space.

And there's no doubt that a gravitational field isn't curved space. So don't confuse space with spacetime.

Read and understood, but not derived.

No, Einstein doesn't often say space when he means spacetime. Au contraire, he uses both words in one paragraph and there's a clear distinction between them.

No it doesn't. I will pass judgement on the basis of whether they agree with Einstein, and with each other. And if they don't, then Houston, we have a problem.

16. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

The Authority speaks.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Good God, the ego. The Dunning-Kruger. The incredible pop-sci, cargo-cult, ineffable trash.

17. QuarkHead Remedial Math Student Valued Senior Member

"People like you"??? In the UK this is considered as an offensive generalization across race, gender, sexual preference, class etc.And in the present case knowledge of differential geometry And have I not just demonstrated I understand the distinction? - . and yet in an earlier post I find this
    What is THAT supposed to mean in the context of this discussion?
    Ha ha. Is this the best you can do? Your response is "not even wrong", it's nonsensical

This is a strawman- nobody suggested the field "is" curved space. I promise you I am not confused

Well assuming E.was not a god, it still begs the question as to whether you understand his original work (and I don't mean his popularizing) and whether thinking in the "gravity" community may have moved on in , what, 99 years.

18. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

Sure, up to the point that the original authors start being exact with their statements through the use of mathematics. That way, you are free to interpret whatever vague things they say as you see fit, ignorant of any requirements to actually get physics done.

Except where he worked out the details.

Look, Farsight, just show us how to do a physics problem with GR as a theory about state of space. Just one.
    Yes, they can, because of the way that GR works and the freedom one has in choosing coordinate systems.

19. Farsight

As above. Space is not the same thing as spacetime. Curved spacetime is the map. Inhomogeneous space is the territory. And the map is not the territory.

Huh? You measure distance and time using the motion of light through space. The metric is an abstract thing derived from what you measure. Space isn't curved, instead your plot of measurements is curved. For example you place parallel-mirror light-clocks throughout an equatorial slice of space, and when you plot clock rates, what you get is this:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

CCASA image by Johnstone, see http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Spacetime_curvature.png]Wikipedia

Then describe the state of space in the room you're in. In your own words. You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother. How about you start a thread explaining why your pencil falls down?

See the answers to my black-hole gedankenexperiment. The majority gave what I consider to be the right answer in line with Einstein and the evidence, wherein light doesn't get out because it's stopped. However one answer referred to "infalling space". That's wrong. The space in the room you're in isn't falling towards the floor. If you think of that as the gravity community moving on, you're in for a rude awakening.

20. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

This whole "explain to your grandmother" thing is just an excuse for cranks to omit details. Nobody should expect everything to be explainable to everybody.

Farsight, can you describe, with mathematics and chosen masses and distances, the fall of a pencil? Can you show where in this precise description where "inhomogeneous space" is?

If you do not do this, then at this point we have to assume that you cannot.

And if you cannot do this, then it should be obvious to everyone, including yourself, that you are horribly deceptive in your writing.

21. QuarkHead Remedial Math Student Valued Senior Member

Dear readers.

When I first started following this thread, I thought that user Farsight was genuinely interested in GR, and was was being unfairly maligned by those who knew rather less of the subject that he does.

I have changed my mind. He is clearly an uncorrectable - ah no, incorrigible - fool and I am out of here before I lose more self-respect

exchemist likes this.
  22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Your understanding of gravity and GR in certain aspects of the science is horribly astray.
    Your Interpretation on what you have read on some issues is even worse.

Well actually they are all correct. Because they have all basically said the same thing, and most of that is in contradiction of your own misinterpretations.

23. nimbus Registered Senior Member

Farsight, you often like to cite Don Koks as agreeing with you, but he doesn't.

See the following from Don koks book ‘Explorations in Mathematical-Physics: The Concepts behind an Elegant Language’.

On page 501, he describes how using Schwarzschild spacetime coordinates brings about the slowing of a clock to zero at the horizon. He then asks…
    He goes on to say…
    On page 506, Don Koks goes on…
    To this end, Don Koks continues with a couple of pages of equations to end on page 508 with…
    My underline in above quotes.
    Farsight, he doesn't agree with you about time stopping for all frames at the event horizon, because he says 'we know for certain that spacetime is perfectly well behaved there'. And Mr Koks reckons the Kruskal-Szekeres are 'a good set of coordinates'.

A note to some…r = 0 is the singularity at the centre of a classical black hole and r = 2M is the event horizon.
    The Schwarzschild spacetime coordinates mentioned on page 501 are those used by the distant observer.
    -----------
    About the link …You will land on page 499, a restricted yellow page, just scroll or click the page turner to move on to page 501. Book link

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.