Purpose of Life

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Islamsmylife, Nov 16, 2006.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It sounds like a refutation of the idea that life without God is somehow less inspiring or deep.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

So why does inventing a fantasy to replace mundane reality have any more merit?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: The purpose of life is grandchildren.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

It sounds like the confidence of a big fish in a little pond

8. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Ok thats a correct as a general premise- how that applies to religion gets itself into various epistemological difficulties.

Just like a high school drop out does not perceivethe benefit or applications of theories in relation to an electron, simply because they cannot perceive the electron to begin with

9. lightgigantic Banned Banned

And the purpose of the life of garndchildren is to titilate the senses of grandparents?

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It sounds like the wonder of a little fish in a big pond.

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

My point was that to accept such a refutation or even discuss its implications requires more than confidence statements (or even wonder statements)

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Isn't that what you rely on to give you faith in God?

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Initially yes, just like faith (or inductive reasoning if you want to call it that) is the initial requirement for any field of knowledge ... but such a platform of knowledge (ie faith) is not the position of perfection (direct perception is)

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Where do you get this "platform" stuff?

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Well, suppose one is learning 1+1=2 as a 4 year old. Suppose someone is learning the sqaure root of 100 as a 10 year old and suppose someone is working with calculas in a university - its not that the 4 year old is wrong compared to the university student, its that he is on a different platform of knowledge

....its just a figure of speech

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Oh, it sounds like it's from a book or something. You do realize that science is a platform of knowledge, and that direct perception is great when realizing personal truths, but not so much when deducing scientific fact.

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

spidergoat

Its a figure of speech I probably picked up from reading some book - language works like that

yes

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

what is an example of a scientific fact (distinct from scientific theory) that is not perceivable somewhere by someone on the level of direct perception?

18. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

You're talking about two different forms of "faith." One is the faith that you have in someone that is presenting a testable and objective reality as fact. The other is the faith that the superstitious develop when religious cult leaders present untestable mythology and fantasy as fact.

Your kind of faith equates to blind trust without evidence. Of course, you're doubtlessly more than prepared to offer us a plethora of postmodernist and sophist poppycock in attempt to muddy the waters between reality and common delusion.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The speed of light.

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Many scientists perceive it, headed up by einstein - their perception, while still dependant on empiricism, can be considered "direct' (ie they arrive at the speed of light by dint of their own assessment of the evidence first hand) as opposed to some physics who just takes it for granted that its been calculated and works with 2.99792458x10(8) m s(-1)

21. lightgigantic Banned Banned

SkinWalker
    [
    In otherwords you have faith that god does not exist

22. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

No. I don't. I'm an agnostic atheist. If there's a god, it almost certainly isn't one of the thousands of different and often contradictory deities invented by humanity. But I see no need for a god in the universe therefore I make no silly, superstitious assumption that one exists. It isn't faith but lack of it.

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

SkinWalker

and you think I am a post modernist?
    or so it seems
    whatever
    whatever