Pure Vacuum can exist? True or False?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by rainman, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bizza Registered Senior Member

The Cosmological Constant is still a result of exotic Dark Matter and thus Dark Energy. Still... dark as it may be, it is "something" and not "nothing".

If it decays to its basic fundamental particles, these particles (like the Boson) would then construct something else. There's always "something" and that's the point I'm trying to make.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Why?
    We can use it without understanding what it is (or even needing to).

Hoo boy are you in for some fun, we have a large contingent here that claim time is nothing more than a mathematical construct.

Evidence?

I can see some discussions ahead.

And then there's the argument that "nothing" can't exist.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bizza Registered Senior Member

I know. That's only because it's detectable and is actually "something", much like Dark Matter. We don't know what it is, but we can measure them. And what do we measure them with? A ruler called "space" and a clock called "time". Both are "Fundamental Units" of measure, not fabrics at all.

I agree. I believe time to be something entirely differnt and detached to what we know and quite frankly, I won't discuss what I think it is here as it may cause alot of people to hurry here and I'll have to respond to long posts.

It is a deep area to discuss and to me it is very spiritual, but still, what is time to you my friend? Try to answer it as simply as you can with the worldly knowledge we have now?

"Space" is the absence of "something" within a mathematical construct and nothing more. We even call that darkness in the heavens, "space" because there's nothing there, it seems. But is this the case? I don't think so.

hehehe... I know. Wait for the flurry now!

That's right. Does it make sense to you though?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kurros Registered Senior Member

The Higgs boson doesn't give the other particles mass by decaying into them. The Higgs field is just a neat trick used to smuggle mass into the standard model without having to start off with mass, since having mass to begin with screws up nice properties like gauge invariance. The simplest explanation I have seen is this:

In the Lagragian for a theory (which contains all the information about the dynamics of the theory), for a field \(\psi\) to have mass there needs to be a part that looks something like

\( m^2 \psi ^2\)

but since creates problems with gauge invariance we like to replace it with

\( \phi^2 \psi ^2 \)

where \(\phi\) is the Higgs field. So the Higgs field plays the same role as mass in the equations, while actually describing an interaction between fields. It is obviously more complex than that but I think this captures the basic essence of the idea. Funnily enough the Higgs field itself gets mass through the same trick; it starts off massless like \(\psi\) does.

8. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

I stand corrected. My thinking that the Higgs was the source of mass assumed that the search for the Higgs boson or at least the remants of its decay was an objective of the LHC.

9. DRZion Theoretical Experimentalist Valued Senior Member

If the Casimir effect is a product of the Uncertainty Principle, then how come fluctuations are reduced when you bring two plates close together?? Instead of being reduced it should rather be transformed from photons to some other particle ..

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.