Punishing women for false accusation of rape

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by paddoboy, Jul 15, 2019.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That's almost entirely about the police and prosecutors making and coercing false accusations - not fraudulent female victims.

wegs likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

... the real ones, would be scam artists, probably black mailing(the non illegal form) people as they raise some rich married white guys illegitimate son
    parading about like a celebrity
    living as a narcissist and being a good little fem-bot-consumer
    you see the odd ones run up against it with borrowing too much to pay for their materialist addictions.

but the whole process of materialisation and addiction to buying crap and turning over money is the american dream ideology of free market capitalism.
    so it is swept under the rug because the alt right make big bucks off such consumerism

thats why the subject is best left as innuendo and conspiracy headline stuff because they dont want to advertise that women can out smart men.
    all that brain washing from the cold war and defining women as evil temptresses etc...
    look at the age range of the people standing on soap boxes about it.
    they pick some homoerotic fancy boy republican to act as eye candy as they tout their last ditch attempt to act out their brain washing ideology.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

sexual predator is the expression i think your looking for.
    it was normal back then.

"fair game " was any women who could not defend herself

they seem to want to avoid that simple fact of culture and pretend that was not the case, while they say things like "she was asking for it"

instead of addressing the culture and seeking to make that point and move forward. many want to continue that culture of the predation of women.

sexual naivety & sexual insecurity & sexual ignorance seem to be big turn ons for many men.
    they seem to have been raised that way by their community & Religion.

the human desire to be addicted to something new and different ...

why does society raise men to fear strong women ?(because they have been raised with a corrupted moral model of power & authority)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yea, this went through my mind too when I followed the hearings. He seemed like a guy who was upset on behalf of his family (understandably), and what the allegations were putting them through, but he seemed quite arrogant and came off as entitled to the SC position.

And that creepy calendar. lol

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This isn't to say that we should arrest and convict everyone based on sheer allegations against them. All allegations require evidence, but this wasn't a criminal trial, many Repubs forget that. It was a hearing, imo, to determine his character and how he'd hold up under questioning. And perhaps to see if he appeared credible. To me, he failed.

You know, I can't help but shake the idea that he was also covering up for his friend...that mysterious friend of his, who hid from the media, claiming he couldn't handle stress because he was ill. While that could be true, it just all seemed strange to me.

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

It is only a small percentage wegs, I have already said that somewhere, but as I'm sure you will agree, that doesn't lessen or diminish the possible consequences that can result...jail time, loss of job, marriage breakdown, mental breakdown, and possibly even death. I'm not familiar with punishment for rape in all countries.
    And yes again, you are 100% correct that sometimes genuine rapes can go unpunished, for many reasons, some that you have raised yourself. Rape certainly is a traumatizing event, and any man found guilty of the crime, should be punished to the full extent of the law. But sadly, not all will.
    Í'm not that familiar with cases in your country, but again, yes to everything you have said. What you have said also has prompted me to go into this a little bit further......I found this.....https://www.vox.com/2018/4/5/17157240/me-too-movement-sexual-harassment-aziz-ansari-accusation
    "Significant numbers of women have concerns about the movement, according to a Vox/Morning Consult survey. That doesn’t mean they’re ready to write it off.
    Men could be falsely accused of sexual harassment or assault. Women could lose out on opportunities at work because men will be afraid to work with them. The punishment for less severe forms of sexual misconduct could be the same as for more severe offenses"
    and this reported case from the same link...
    "One woman, 36, who asked that her name not be used, voiced concern about the current workplace climate and its effects on her father. Recently, she said, a woman at her father’s workplace asked for help moving a box. When he said, “Yes, dear, I’ll get that for you,” the woman told him never to call her “dear” again.

“He was so upset when he got home,” his daughter said in the focus group. “He was like, ‘I didn’t mean anything by it.’”

Which reminded me of a comment a mate of mine made at our 60th Old Boys reunion.....He mentioned that he was literally avoiding walking too close behind any young woman in the street. And with regards to the case per the link, when I'm asking assistance of any female attendant in a store, I automatically will call her "love" "can you help me with this love?" "Great thanks love!"
    Thankfully the women involved are reasonable, sensible, non fanatics, with regards to such remarks. They probably all support woman's equality also, just as I do.
    Yes that also enrages me, as does any form of sexual harrassment or bias by either men or woman. But again, albeit slow in some cases, undeniable progress is being made. The point I was making in the OP, was in relation to the woman's movement in general, and how on rare occasions, some women just might take advantage of it and because of revenge, or some other perceived wrong, make false allegations. It's all wrong wegs! Interesting to note that what you have detailed has prompted me to do more research...
    https://morningconsult.com/2018/10/11/a-year-into-metoo-public-worried-about-false-allegations/
    No, for the information of others that are not as reasonable as you, I'm not a member of any "me too"movement, and had never even heard of it before today. And my opinion is that its rather sad that any such movement is really needed.
    You in general wegs, are the voice of reason, and I'm not pissing in your pocket [apologies for such a crude remark] and what you have said is all I'm saying, despite the thoughtless fanatical charging like a bull to a red rag, by others that should know better.

Is that all you have fool? Go tell it to your Mother!

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Twist and turn all you like James, it doesn't detract from your fellow mods classless, idiotic, feminazi like question about my virility. She got back an equally facetious answer.
    I'm accusing you of lies and inuendo directed at me James, and surprisingly you have in the recent past, admitted to another the fact that you lie.
    Sure you are! I just object to the lies and inuendo, which like you I'm allowed to mention to show my disgreement.
    I really don't give a stuff either way, I just thought a responsible mod/admin, would have mentioned it. I don't indulge in conspiracies James.

The OP was about the recent cases of two males that had been unjustly accused of sexual assault and/or rape, in relation to the women's rights movement...Instead of your interpretation James, here is the main gist of the OP

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Hi paddoboy, okay...just wanted to snip part of your post, before addressing the rest. Because it's important that you see from a woman's view, as to why this can be considered inappropriate in the workplace.

Thing is this. Most of the time, but certainly not all of the time, men who address women in the workplace with cute nicknames like the above, don't only stop there. I doubt that guy only said ''dear,'' and the rest is history. Maybe, but probably not. If it's a one off situation, okay. But, usually, it's part of a pervasive attitude that a guy has about working with women. So, he calls her these cute nicknames that he'd call his gf or wife...and it's like, why? I have a name, and don't want to be called ''dear,'' ''love,'' ''honey,'' etc at the workplace. I work in a pretty conservative office, and everyone is professional and kind. It's a place of business, not a picnic, not a party...not a bar. It's a place of business, and we can all have fun there, but fun doesn't extend to calling me what you might call your wife or gf. Meanwhile, I bet that same guy calls all of his male coworkers by their actual names.

Having said all of that, I would not go to HR and make a big deal about it, unless it doesn't stop. Nothing wrong with going up to a guy at work and saying ''hey, I know you might not mean anything by it, but could you not call me honey/dear/love anymore? Thanks.''Harassment in my opinion, is when the behavior is persistent, despite being asked to stop. It's not at the first sign of a problem, in my opinion.

Many women don't speak up though, out of fear of losing their jobs or being retaliated against...so, there's that, too. Just trying to give you some insight into how sometimes, you have to dig a little deeper to get to the heart of the matter.

When in doubt, be professional and kind. lol Flirtations, calling women cute nicknames, acting like you have a ''work wife,'' telling sexual jokes, etc...are behaviors just not meant for the workplace.

11. billvon Valued Senior Member

I would add that the worst case is that he is grooming her, so that later more raunchy talk, followed by unwelcome touching and then assault, is more accepted by the woman than it would be if he just "went in cold." (And unfortunately that happens, fairly often.)

wegs likes this.
  12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Totally agree.

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I understand your concern wegs, and I understand my own lack of concern when my local Doctor's receptionist, addresses everyone as "Darl" short slang for darling. If I don't know a womens name, what do I call her if in need of assistance? Miss? Mrs?? Madam?? Like I said, I use "love" all the time...perhaps as a carry over from my generation, I'm not sure. But no one, absolutely no one has ever objected over many many years. That's the honest truth wegs. I respect women...perhaps too much, in that as a boy growing up in the fifties, I was always taught to stand up for a woman or elderly person on crowded public transport [which funnily enough I still do] Help with any struggling female with baggage or such. Surely there's a reasoanble happy medium...surely most men using such words in addressing a female DO NOT HAVE EVIL INTENTIONS!!

wegs likes this.
  14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Aw, I don't think you have evil intentions. I don't even ''know'' you, but I can see where perhaps it's something you didn't think much of.

What you're describing is different than the workplace. The receptionist calling you ''darl,'' is fine (if you're fine with it)...I've been called ''honey,'' ''sweetie,'' etc by customer service people, when I'm out and about. No biggie. But, at work? A guy calling me ''babe/dear/doll/honey'' ...it's just not appropriate. It also implies that we're way closer than we are.

Is it the end of the world? No, but it sets the tone for a guy to simply not respect the women around him, at work.

There's also nothing wrong with helping someone out in life...if you see a woman struggling with her baggage, and you help her out, that's very kind of you. There are always going to be extremes out there - you might find women who will take offense to you helping them out, and others who wouldn't take offense to you calling them babe at the workplace. Plus, I can only speak for me; other women might feel differently - there was a receptionist last year at my work who called everyone ''honey,'' and the CEO (male) asked her to stop. It just sounds unprofessional in some environments, you know?

I'm strictly talking about the workplace -- just to stick with everyone's first names. You can't go wrong.

paddoboy likes this.
  15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

OK, point taken! Certainly in the work place where you do know another person's name then yes, inappropriate.
    My "love"terminology in addressing females is as described, to shop assistants and people whose name you do not know...call it 'force of habit" also if you wish.
    And again, bingo!!! yes there are extremes out there!! The woman's movement in general is totally credible and worthwhile, but there are also those that I label feminazis, thankfully rare and recognised. Most men including your's truly, also respect the woman's push for total equality as credible and worthwhile, but there are those that can be labeled as male chauvinist pigs.

16. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Yep, I've stumbled upon the same sort of thing often here: bs "stats," cherry-picked quotes and the like all leading back to some some truly terrifying MRA/MGTOW-type sources. I would vote for "normalize" as one of the words of the year (or, past few years, really).

Recent news cycles have been focussing, yet again, upon Trump's latest bout of racist behavior, but most are overlooking the fact that these attacks--as are most of his attacks--are directed towards women. And, just as his racism is hardly new or surprising, is the misogyny coming from a serial rapist and sexual assailant--including, yes, child rape <<< *-- and technically, I ought to say "alleged" here, but as he's openly confessed to sexual assault, and there are more than two dozen victims, most with witnesses or persons who can corroborate their accounts at the time of occurrence, well...

Yet, while Trump's racism is, at least, getting some attention, his misogyny, his rapes and sexual assaults, are being largely overlooked. Fuck that.

* From the GQ piece:

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Totally agree with Trump being a number one arshole and lowlife! What I want to know, is that some of these acts of racism and misogny, were known before he got elected. So, can someone tell me what happened in the meantime?

I mean how in the hell did he get elected?

18. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Paddoboy, listen Love, when everyone tells you that you are on the wrong side of an issue, it's probably good to at least consider that they might be right. You know, Love, you might have good intentions but the times they are a changin'.

Love, be a good boy and just let this one go.

James R, parmalee and wegs like this.
  19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

We'll reform you. lol

Holy wow, that's insane! And so very sad.

Regarding the MGTOW stuff, yea...I've run across a few articles about that ''group,'' and it's all about blaming women for everything that has ever gone wrong in their lives, mixed with confusion as to why they can't find women to sleep with them.

Seattle likes this.
  20. sculptor Valued Senior Member

sculptor said:
    As a percentage, more men were falsely convicted of murder than of rape.

I had a friend who was falsely accused and convicted of murder and sentenced to death.
    The cops lied on the stand, the prosecutor hid exculpatory evidence, and the judge was biased----basically, everything that could go wrong did go wrong making of the "justice system" one big worthless clusterfuck.
    The innocence project helped him out when few others would.
    After: He gave an interview with 9 or 10 others that had been wrongly convicted----and the interviewer asked him: "Why are you the only white guy here?" to which Gary responded : "Just lucky I guess."

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  21. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I'm assuming the questions are rhetorical?

paddoboy likes this.
  22. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

the obsession with sadism and authority that has been normalised through culture via the puritan moral religious ideology pervades many things.

cant be many countries where they celebrate serial killers and worship them as celebrity's.

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I actually see that's it's a couple of mods that need reforming.

I mean, I really havn't changed my mind about too much...perhaps it's my style that needs reforming and not immediatley reflecting what I'm trying to say, because other then degree, there's not much you have said that I disagree with.....
    No, as usual you miss the point sweety. Wegs and I were referring to two different applications of the use of pet names. A work colleague who you know by name, you use the name, agreed. A store assistant or such, as I described, nothing wrong....of course if some objection was raised to me calling someone love, I would cease. Does that clear things up sweety? Or are you a dumb blonde Bimbo?

Apologies if that is objectionable to you.