Prove it to me...casting call to all LotR lovers

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Zero, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Zero Banned Banned

Can you give me a single reason on why Lord of the Rings is not worthless? Try to make a single argument on its value stand up. I am absolutely convinced that LotR is worthless and tells us NOTHING new.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Why does it have to tell you anything at all?
    Why can it not be read or watched for entertainment?

:m: Peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Umm. Its not worthless cause its fun to read/watch/play/whatever. It is a form of entertainment not education.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

umm, i like it. so to me it's not.

if for some reason you don't like it, well then don't read/watch it. that's fine with me.

and it does tell us something new. it tells us that hobbits are nice and friendly people

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

It teaches us nothing, but to me it was very well done in many, if not all, aspects of filmaking. Perhaps you could go into more depth....?

9. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Awesome special effects! Awesome battle scenes, whats not to love?

10. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Woo, go Zero

*mini wave in celebration of Zero*

They have tried many a time to prove LoTR worth to me, I think the cowards have given up lol

11. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Thor when was the last time you saw LotR? Just out of curiousity.

Maybe if it's been awhile, you should give it another shot

12. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

NO! The battle of Helms Deep was horrible. I just cannot watch a cavalry charge suceed agaist a pike formation and not be extremely pissed off.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

OMG someone ELSE noticed that too

i was like how STUPID do you get

pikes are there to STOP horse so you charged them

WELL DONE *sarcasm*

and no one gets impailed
    AHHHHHH

now the REALLY way to do it is archers and catapults hurling small rocks to break the formation up

14. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Archers huriling small rocks?? Should they just get a bow and arrow

hee hee

Awoo

I saw the film on Mothers Day (yes, I only went because of my mum!!) and I winced my way thro it. Then during the summer when I was working, they played the DVD (I don't know if it was legit or not lol) about 10 times....painful :bugeye:

15. Zero Banned Banned

I was talking about the book. And I still haven't seen one argument in favor of LotR.

16. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

And I haven't seen you explain why it has to tell you anything.

17. Firefly Registered Senior Member

And what were you expecting it to tell you?

18. Zero Banned Banned

If it doesn't tell me anything, it is nothing more than a cheap, trashy, a dime-a-dozen fantasy novel that is based on an extremely common template. It could be mass produced based on that template, and make some changes to keep releasing "new" stories. It's just trash. What the fuck is the meaning behind the stupid good versus evil story plot? Nothing. Compare that with Animal Farm, 1984, The Stranger, Death of a Salesman, Les Miserables, or even Rama. LotR doesn't amount to shit.

Prove it to me why LotR isn't trash and stop beating around the bush. You just can't prove it, can you?

19. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Thankfully, we don’t have to rely on your understanding of literature to determine a work’s “worthiness”. LoTR has inspired numerous imitations, sold over 80,000,000 copies around the world in something like 30 languages, and has been the subject of numerous theses, dissertations, songs, at least one symphony, and many books of literary criticism.

LoTR single-handedly changed the face of fantastic literature, and set the tone and setting for countless other books. One example is the description and use of elves. Prior to Tolkien, elves were the same thing a fairies or sprites -- small, tinkling, drink-dewdrops-from-rose petals sort of things. Check out some Victorian fairy tales for comparison. The one I'm thinking of, though not precisely considered a fairy tale, is the original Raggedy Ann book by Johnny Gruelle. The fairies bring Marcella’s new baby brother. It's very cute. Post Tolkien, elves are human sized, immortal, and terrible. Tolkien also invented Hobbits and Orcs. He may not have done so out of whole cloth -- but it was his contribution to the collective imagination to synthesize the various influences in just that way.

What does it have to say? In a nutshell? The book immortalizes a great synthesis of Norse heroism and Biblical morality. It carries moral messages promoting loyalty, determination, and the importance of striving against evil. It impresses upon us that that there are some laws so fundamental that we would willingly die rather than violate them.

20. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

Wrong. It is not based on said template it IS the template that all fantasy is based on. No it dosent have any great moral lessons but who cares? Cant you just read something for fun and no other reason?

Asguard,

Woo Hoo! Im not the only one. The entire battle was completely screwed up but that cavalry charge was the worst. PIKES IMPALE HORSES FOR GODS SAKE!

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

thor i said CATAPULTS with little rocks

and yes i couldnt BELIVE not ONE horse got impaled

GRRRRRRRRRR

and the way they aporoched the siege

and that the arches were firing THROUGH the men on the walls
    GOD

HELLO

FIRE UP

that battle made me cringe

and that NO ONE put an arrow threw aragon and glimly when they were climing the rope, i mean here you have one of the captans and EVERYONE would have KNOWN that when he was giving the orders and you just let him climb back up??????

NO ONE used siege engins

AHHHHH

i mean boiling pitch and a catapult and see what happens but NOO

22. Firefly Registered Senior Member

Asguard, they've evolved with different techniques and types of warfare. Calm down.

23. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

And did you notice how the defenders didnt start shooting untill the orcs were right at the fort? The range on a longbow is freaking huge! Why the hell werent they shooting as soon as the orc army was in range?

And when the orcs put ladders up against the walls, the humans just LET THEM CLIMB UP!!!!! They should have been trying to knock down the ladders instead.

Of course why did the orcs even bother with a direct assult? The entire population of the country was in that tiny fort. How long could their supplies hold out?

I was actually quite enjoying that movie up until helms deep. That battle was so wrong.