Proof that the Christian god cannot exist

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Cris, Jun 21, 2001.

1. smallaxe0217 Registered Senior Member

However, God's omniscience does not require predestination, man's freewill is not an arbitrary situation, and God's omniscience and omipontence includes knowledge of all possible outcomes as well as the actual outcome.

Whether or not humans have free will depends on the answer to the question: What did/will you have for dinner today, and why did you choose it as opposed to something else?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. smallaxe0217 Registered Senior Member

On what do you base your determinations of what a real God would or would not do?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. smallaxe0217 Registered Senior Member

When we look at the physical world and see the contradictions between the empirical facts of quantum physics and general relativity, we realize that we don't even understand what's going on in the physical world too often. To limit oneself to what one can detect with instruments, or to what we can feel tangibly, is to cut off the greater wonder of existence that is no less real just because we can't explain or feel it. How can physics explain the beauty of a Bach prelude, or Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue"? What instrument can explain what makes the Mona Lisa so priceless? Does biology alone determine why you view your wife (or husband) as the most beautiful woman (or man) on the earth?

Or is it biology and the threat of alimony?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. smallaxe0217 Registered Senior Member

Omnipotence does not mean "ability to make what is logically impossible". If God can do everything, then that would include the impossible. But if God can do everything, impossible things should not be possible; yet how could they not be possible if omipotence incuded the possiblity of everything, even "the impossible"?

One cannot make a four-sided triangle. Why? The instant the shape has four sides, it is not a triangle anymore. God cannot make a rock so big that He cannot lift it; because it is a logical impossibility. In the same way that 2+2 cannot be made to equal 5, the existence of logical impossibilities does not in any way limit God's omnipotence. St. Augustine said "It is precisely because He is omnipotent that for Him, some things are impossible.

I acknowledge the book "God, Godel and Grace" by Clifford Goldstein for providing much of my response in this post.

8. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

But it does. Omnipotence is "all powerful", not "all powerful.. except for.."

9. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

Does the statement, "God can't make a fefilflackhujnidgggg," make sense to you?
    I hope not. The same applies to saying God can't do the logically impossible.
    Applying a meaningless statement to God and then saying that it should have meaning for God is no good.

10. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Yes, and god can make one. Just because your puny human brain cannot comprehend it doesn't really mean anything. (Btw that's not an insult, it's a comparison between human brains and godly ones).

But, given your statements, it might be worth inventing a new word for a being that is all powerful with exceptions. Like.. "omnialmostpotent" or something. Remember cole, it isn't god's understanding of the word that's relevant, but ours. When you use the word omnipotent you are talking language of humans, and it refers to a being that can do anything. Not "anything except for this that and that", but anything.

A) I didn't apply a statement to god, I applied it to smallaxe

B) All I have ever seen on this forum, and from the mouths of religious people are meaningless statements to/concerning god/s

Where did I say it should have meaning for a god?

Let me requote the statement made:

"Omnipotence does not mean "ability to make what is logically impossible"

I responded that "omnipotence" means the ability to make anything - and that is regardless to what a god has to say on the matter. The word omnipotence would mean that yes, a god can make a square circle or anything else it so chooses to.

K?

11. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

It is a nonsense word. Get it?

A square 2 dimensional triangle is impossible to create, by definition. You can add a third dimension which will allow the triangle to be seen as "square" and a triangle. Perhaps God could, in the same way, add a dimension to an impossible situation to make it possible.
    Or we could change the definition of traingle, that is easy enough. The impossible could become possible that way as well.
    But my point is still that nonsense is nonsense - a logical contradiction, if accurately defined and described, is, in terms of actually entering reality, nonsense.

12. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Then why assign a nonsense, (and meaningless), word to a god, (something you scalded me about in the first place) - i.e god is omnipotent?

13. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

I agree, your definition of the word "omnipotent" is nonsenical.

14. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

My definition?

Try again.

15. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

And here comes wikipedia to the rescue;

Omnipotence

Heck by reading the above link, not even theist can determine wether god is omnipotent or not

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

First premise:

Does a god exist?

Second premise:

Can a questionable entity, with no identity by omnianything?

Third Premise:

Occam's razor, would suggest that such an entity with no identity, no evidence of it's existence, is more than likely non-existent. It's the only logical answer, given the "lack of evidence" of it's existence.

Godless

16. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Thanks godless, I suppose I should have just done that to start with

17. draqon Banned Banned

Does God exist? If you believe he exists, then he will exist.

18. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Do those people following you believe you exist?

19. qwerty mob Deicidal Registered Senior Member

All gods are imaginary, mythological entities. Proof is between one's ears also.

20. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

By this analogy; The flying speghetty monster is god.
    The PinkInvisibleUnicorn is god
    There are green goblins on the other side of the moon. Though they consider themselves demons, not gods
    Zeus says he's still god, Apollo says he's not as powerfull as zeus, but considers himself a god, and a hole bunch of Greek, Roman, demi-gods consider themselves to be gods throughout the ages.

Godless

21. qwerty mob Deicidal Registered Senior Member

Hail, the IPU! PBUH! *whicker*

22. Mythbuster Mushroomed Registered Senior Member

23. Mythbuster Mushroomed Registered Senior Member

moving:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006