Prerequisites for Spiritual Knowledge

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Prince_James, Dec 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sorry I should have used symbols instead of idols. We're talking (or at least I am) about religious expressions of theism and how they are representations of an underlying belief in the concept of a universal consciousness (which is the basis for Eastern spiritual knowledge, the topic of the OP)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I can dig up the quote if needed, but LG did clearly assert that the knowledge gained by these methods create one or more new senses that detect the presence of 'God'.

What you are describing is a framework for adapting a persons cognitive geometry to a position that best fits their psychological needs. Unfortunately it sounds like it presents choices of fantasy and doesn't recognize that objective reality is pretty self-evident and humans are constrained in the breadth and depth of their visibility into objective-reality by their biology.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Yeah, right. You're as bad as LG.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

No clarifications are required, as I stated, rituals are prescribed procedures for conducting religious ceremonies, by definition. Look it up.

Rituals, beyond religion, are also any customary observance or practice, or any stereotyped behavior.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Gotcha and np. By Universal consciousness, are we talking about the universe as a whole being sentient?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Of course I am presenting an observers view point. LG is presenting his point of view and since he is a <insert theistic belief here> he will propose those points of view that he supports as his own. Just like I would the point of view of my religion. What we both recognise however (since we have both studied the same scriptures) is that our points of view are not exclusive but represent different schools of thought that are not mutually exclusive since they are based not on "objective reality" but our interpretation of and acceptance of one of many points of view possible under theism.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Blah blah blah
    And thank you for your patience.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

That is one of many possible points of view.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Typical theist, always responding in the same way and then proceeds to make up their own definitions:

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Typical atheist, so certain of his conclusions that he doesn't even bother to consider any other possibility. *feels better after venting*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritual

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Oh, I see, you bypassed the dictionary and went straight to wiki. And what exactly is the source for that?

14. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I can see the potential psychological benefit for the eastern theistic POV process and it seems flexible enough where you can custom balance truth vs. fantasy to meet your own needs.

IMO, there are probably better ways to achieve the same result without having to sacrafice truth or loosing sight of fantasy.

15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

So the answer is any possible interpretation of the phrase is what you mean.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Is there a purpose to this?

Do you now wish to claim that religious rituals have no symbolism?

Are not associated with culture?

That nonreligious rituals have no symbolism or are not associated with culture?

Please clarify what is wrong with the definition I have given. For the purpose of my discussion (and in the context of what I wish to say) I have used the comprehensive definition of the word, one that does not target its etymology to specific instances of usage (as a dictionary does). I am interested in the concept of rituals here, for the purpose of this discussion, as a symbolic expression of a religious belief. Is there anything wrong with this definition? Does it distort the meaning of the word?

Do tell.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hence it also embraces atheism and agnosticism, so someone like you, on reading the self same scriptures would embrace that school of thought. Does that clarify what I am saying?

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

19. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I understand it. I am also asserting that to create a different system that focuses on human psychological needs without the option of magic=truth might be a better way to go.

20. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The Indian culture has encountered countless religious/cultural invasions and survived relatively unchanged for 5000 years of known history. When you come up with a system that can work so well so long let me know.

22. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Hume's house is now a church.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

One of many possible interpretations...unless you have definitive evidence to backup your claim?

Or shall we believe you because ummm, since you say so, you MUST be right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.