Power of Persuasion?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Carcano, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I doubt that any were CEOs, especially not CEOs of banks. I think the few who did jump were deep in debt - had borrowed to invest and could not pay back. Back then, as now, the bankers are playing with someone else´s money not their own.

Can you name even one banker who jumper to his death after the crash of 1929. If you can, I bet it was a health or emotional, not a financial, problem. Rich people do commit suicide when emotionally disturbed too.

"... As CEO of the now defunct MF Global, Corzine was at the controls of the investment firm when it made risky investments that ultimately led to MF Global going belly-up and losing all the investors’ money. {At least a billion dollars now gone - God only knows where. Many farmers were big lossers and some did commit suicide, but not Corzine. His current wealth is more than 500 million - perhaps a few billion. It is so well hidden we may never know.}

Corzine is not alone. There are plenty of examples of slick, lying, cheating, crooked or idiotic CEOs and other corporate officers steering their companies off a financial cliff and into bankruptcy or insolvency and ripping off investors while enriching themselves. The Enron gang comes to mind. ..."

But as I said the super rich do commit suicide for non- financial reasons:

George Eastman Kodac had a degenerative disorder, which affected his spine and his walking. Extreme pain made him increasingly depressed. On March 14th, 1932, Eastman committed suicide. He left a short note that simply read: To my friends: My work is done. Why wait?

During his lifetime Eastman donated $100 million to various organizations but most of the money went to the University of Rochester and to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (under the alias "Mr. Smith").[8] The Rochester Institute of Technology has a building dedicated to Eastman, in recognition of his support and substantial donations. In recognition of his donation to MIT, the university installed a plaque of Eastman (students rub the nose on the plaque for good luck.) Eastman also made substantial gifts to the Tuskegee Institute and the Hampton Institute.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2012
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

University Education.Multimedia, web-design, history, MBA, etc.... are just conning poor gullible students out of 10s of thousands of dollars for degrees in worthlessness.

Math, Science and Engineering related fields are somewhat worth the cost.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Carcano Valued Senior Member

This is an excellent point Michael. There should be no government scholarships for the arts...while students scoring over 90% should be rewarded with a free university education in engineering, medicine and all other forms of APPLIED sciences.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.