Potential Energy of Quantum Field?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by John J. Bannan, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Even you, AN, must have a limit on your knowledge of the most basic aspects of phyics. So, where's your limit? You say that fields couple, and this creates photons. O.K. So, how does a quantum field couple?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

My posts have been ignored! How rude!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

A lot lot further than yours.

Why do you think, without any learning, you can trap people like myself, Ban and Guest into a corner on a topic you know nothing about?

Go on, let's talk about the details of the Calabi Yau models I mentioned.

What do you think about the generalisation of Calabi Yaus to 7 dimensions? What's your take on the concept of a 'complex' manifold in 7 real dimensions?
    Why don't you look up what the definition of the word means to a quantum field theorist? 'Coupling' between say the electron field \(\psi\) and the electromagnetic field \(A_{\mu}\) means there's a Lagrangian term of the form \( g\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}A_{\mu}\psi\), which means the equations of motion for each field involve a term from the other field, thus taking the word 'coupled' from 'coupled partial differential equations'.

Now, here's a question for you to force you to go do some reading.

Why is it \(g\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}A_{\mu}\psi\) and not \(g\gamma^{\mu}\bar{\psi}A_{\mu}\psi\) ?

That shouldn't be too hard if you bother to read, even skim read, say this.

Go on, show you can actually learn something.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

Photon is a property of a quantum field. There are many different quantum fields. On of them corresponds to photons. Quantum fields interact with each other, and if the quantum field that corresponds to photons happens to increase at some instant of time at some point in space, you can interpret it as photon is created.

8. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Well, thank you for using English.

Now, how does a quantum field happen to increase at some instant of time?

9. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Stop your paranoia. I'm not trying to trap you. I am trying to get to the limits of your knowledge on the most basic assumptions of physics. My question really is at what point does modern physics end and philosophy begin? I'm not sure I've reached that point with you, yet. But, that's what my questioning is attempting to discover.
    Are you, or are you not, saying that different quantum fields interact to create photons? Also, am I to assume that physics has nothing to say about how quantum fields come to exist?

10. Vkothii Banned Banned

I'd say: "wherever you like".
    Science does not end and philosophy begins - the two go hand in hand. Sometimes.

As for reaching some point, I'd also say you're the type who doesn't get the hint all that well.

11. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

What hint? That I need to study physics for years and years to understand where the limits of physics are? I am simply questioning the physicists on these threads until I get to a point where they say, "I don't know." I do not have to understand the intricacies of physics in order to question them on the most basic points to the point where they don't know something. Do you not understand that physics obviously must have an end point where there is some sort of physical reality they can't explain? I believe that point is probably the idea of a quantum field. They can talk about quantum fields all they want, but they really don't know what a quantum field is or where it came from or why it's even here to begin with. Now, that's not to say the science can't come up with these answers in the future. I am just interested in learning how far it's come.

12. Vkothii Banned Banned

Well, I don't know John, old son.
    You can't just skip from point to point, it doesn't come all packaged in nice coffee-table sized bites.
    There's a heap of really boring shit you have to plow through, it pays to spend time actually doing experiments, that while you might not remember all the results of, you remember what you learned.

You simply can't expect to have that delivered in bumper-sticker versions, and it isn't like ordering pizza, it hasn't ever happened.

13. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Well, then let me make a point with you. Regardless of whether you can explain it to a dope like me, can you explain to another physicist (not me!) why quantum fields exist? Yes or No?

14. Vkothii Banned Banned

First, can you answer if you think we can explain why the universe exists?
    When you find out, come back and tell me, in say, three paragraphs or less.

15. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

No, you can't explain why the universe exists. But you can explain why particles exist. But there should come a point involving the most basic structures of the universe that you can't explain those. I am simply trying to get to that point.
    Now, I answered your question. You answer mine?

16. Vkothii Banned Banned

But if you can't explain why the universe is here (which it is), how do you hope to explain the existence of quantum fields, which make up the universe?

17. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

You can explain quantum fields by reference to its constituent parts. However, I have yet to hear any of you claim to know what the constituent parts of a quantum field are. It seems to me that physicists are simply claiming that everything came from this soup they call quantum fields, but can't explain what's in the soup or why the soup is sitting on our tables ready to eat.

18. Vkothii Banned Banned

There are a lot of good books, and online publications.

Have you ever built electronic circuits - do you understand charge and current?

19. QuarkHead Remedial Math Student Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately for you, yes, you do.
    I'll let you into a well-guarded secret: scientists of all stripes just love un-answered questions. "I don't (yet) know" is one of the sweetest tunes in science.

It is, after all, how scientists get their kicks, and, more prosaically, how they feed their families, by getting grants to answer the as-yet unsolved questions.

I know of no area of science where any practitioner would pretend, or even hope, to have all the answers. What a boring life that would be!

Define "physical reality", other than that which physics tells us about. It's a nonsensical statement.
    Since you have absolutely no idea what a "quantum field" is, by your own admissions, how do you support this extravagant claim?

20. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Circuits and charge are not basic enough to shed much light on what I'm asking. Do you know of any good books that explain what a quantum field is made of?

21. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

Well, that is just a particular type of evolution. Right?

22. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

I've asked many times on this thread what a quantum field is, and have yet to get an answer, or even an answer that "well, we physicists know what a quantum field is made of but you simply can't comprehend the answer due to your lack of knowledge." Instead, I've gotten mostly responses avoiding the answer. This is a strong suggestion that the people here don't know the answer (but they are so reluctant to admit it!). This is not an extravagant claim. I can easily prove it. So, tell me what quantum fields are made of and why they even exist? (I knew you wouldn't answer this one, by the way

)

23. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by evolution? Do you mean that particles are simply an evolution of a quantum field? Well, that goes without saying. But, why does the evolution even occur in the quantum field. What's happening in the quantum field to cause such evolution?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.