Pot Growth isn't Green

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Orleander, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Shit Dude ? You want to talk about propagating too . O.K. Stoni is the Man . He hit it nail on fish whacked . Scare crows on the run way .
    That is how they do it . Halogens work great but ventilation is very important . I heard of peoples putting oxygen bottles in the rooms too. To lift fresh air levels . White flys got to be managed that is for sure , so count on some type of pesticide. Lets hope it is not D.D.T.
    O.K. legalize is the correct answer for any sane person

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Ah, Drug Warriors!

Well, let's look at it in terms of your presumption:

No, they wouldn't. Unless, of course, it was illegal to drive a car. In which case you probably wouldn't have hybrids or electric vehicles to account for.

I mean, sure, it's kind of silly to see people commuting to work from Sumner to Seattle, a minimum distance of about thirty-four miles. It gets even sillier to see them sitting alone in their cars, backed up in traffic, without a carpool partner. And then to see them sitting, alone, without a carpool partner, in a GMC Denali? With a sticker on the back that says, "Support our troops"?

But if cars were regulated like marijuana, and people continued to drive anyway just like folks continue to smoke pot, you wouldn't have hybrids or electric vehicles, or even propane combustion. Rather, we would all be driving around in heavy polluting vehicles—even compared to the Denali—with technology from a bygone era. I mean, don't get me wrong; screaming through Stevens Pass in an ivy gold '67 Fairlane at the height of summer is fun. But it was a more polluting ride than, say, howling through Stevens Pass in a racing-green '77 260Z at the height of summer. And then there is whizzing through the pass in a '90 Honda CRX. Or, perhaps, cruising through the pass in a 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid. And so on.

You cannot expect to be taken seriously when you try to burden people with guilt about the environmental consequences of their illegal behavior when those consequences stem from the fact of illegality. You cannot expect to be taken seriously when you try to burden people with guilt about the consequences of illegal behavior that they believe should not be illegal, especially when they are trying to change the legal status of their behavior.

Pot isn't green? I mean, really? This is what the War on Drugs is down to?

I mean, you have clearly misunderstood the point about marijuana being natural. As, for instance, compared to snorting something made from distilling cold medicine in diesel or kerosene and then cooking it in your oven.

As such, your lament makes you sound like just another "drug warrior" with little to no understanding of the issues you purport to address.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

the article was from National Geographic. Are they making a bigger deal of it than it is then?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't say so

Information is information. The environmental impact of the black market is an interesting and relevant consideration. Certes, one might take issue with the idea that the article seems a bit one-sided, but, to the other, it would probably require a much longer, much deeper piece before the reporter could get actual growers and dealers to participate.

What one does with information is another consideration. You appear to have chosen to pick a certain moral or ethical bone with pot smokers. That would be your choice, just as mine is to nod sadly, shrug, and consider how much different things will be when this part of the Drug War is over and marijuana is legal.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

tiassa, (if we take this rubbish seriously) the thing which hasnt been taken into acount is the source of the electricty, who is to say that a drug grower doesnt use solor pannels, would be a great way to actually hide energy consumption too.

Further more i wonder the energy cost vs that from a pharmacutical company (compared to output of course)

Lastly though we must reduce carbon emmssions that is not the only concideration, for instance the barrier reef is dying, its quite likly that some species of coral from the reef will soon only be found in aquariums. Now unfortunatly reef aquariums are quite energy intensive. Wheres the greater harm, using energy but saving spiecies of coral or letting them die out in the hope of saving a small amount of emissions.

Both these issues could be easierly fixed by goverment, you want pot to be greener, easy go to green fuels. Replace coal fired power stations with solar thermal and geothermal

9. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

There is a reason it is called weed, you know...when I found my little brother's anemic plants in some pots I'd abandoned, all I had to do was water them and they both took off and budded out.

If I'd actually used fresh soil and a lot of fertilizer I imagine I could have had some really nice wacky-tobaccy...and we just have a space between the house and the trailer outside where they got full sun.

So, yeah, it's all about it being illegal. Make it legal to grow for personal use, and this crap will all stop.

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I think part of that is sort of implicit in the discussion of pot's legal status. The least environmentally detrimental techniques would expose growers to law enforcement beyond any reasonable risk assessment thresholds.

Myself, though ... I have a plan in the back of my mind, but I don't know if it works. It wouldn't be a commercial-scale operation, because it would be vastly extraneous, the kind of thing I would build if I was rich and had the time and money to spare.

If it's possible, I wouldn't need to know a whole lot about physics itself in terms of the details of light. Rather, I would need some technical knowledge of photovoltaics, fiber optics, and parabolic dish receivers.

To the other, by the time I can afford to test the plan, pot will be legal, so ... there goes that one.

11. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

The smallest stealth grow that I have encountered was a 70 Watt bulb in a 12 inch by 12 inch wide by 18 inch tall box to grow one diminutive female cannabis plant to fruition. Many stealth grows are in computer cases - they are that small.

You would tell those folks not to do that because they are causing global warming? You would then tell them not to respond by pointing out other, vastly greater sources of global warming? Why not? :shrug:

I would have to ask you why you figure that a coal burning power plant belching megatons of carbon, lead, uranium, mercury etc into the atmosphere constantly should not be considered as well. Or that single person monster truck commuter vehicle, the semi with the shot engine spewing black smoke as it rolls through my neighborhood and many, many other sources of pollution.

The bottom line here is this: if you want some pot, you either buy it from someone who has grown it or you grow it yourself. If you grow it yourself you have to hide that or take the chance that someone will steal ("rip") it or that LEO will bust you. The easiest way to grow small quantities of cannabis, considering that it is still illegal in many places, is to grow it indoors. That is where you object citing "global warming" concerns.

OK, what about those Canadian hydroponic cucumbers I buy every week at the grocery store? The tomatoes and strawberries? Lettuce? Those are all grown indoors with grow lights...do you want to ban them too? Shame on you Aunt Mid???

You are making such a stretch here that your bias is obvious. I suspect that your status as a parent of a young child has a lot to do with your stance on this issue, but you are off in the wrong direction again. IMHO, the best way to handle this issue with your daughter is to openly discuss it in an 'as-needed' matter-of-fact honest and straightforward manner, just like the gay sex issue.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Ah brother Me - Ki, you gotta think organic to deal with those problems. Strains of baccilis thuringensis have been developed to kill off those pests without the use of pesticides. Predator mites are commercially available online and those - as well as lady bird beetles and the like are routinely bought, sold and shipped all over the country every day now. In an indoor grow, one area of utmost importance is keeping it clean. That means that the grower works in their indoor garden before their outdoor garden, not vice versa, to prevent bringing white flies, spider mites and mold gnats into the grow area.

Many stealth growers employ sealed systems with intake and exhaust filters to prevent insects from getting into the grow and to prevent smells from getting out of the grow. If the grow area is kept clean, intake air is filtered, the grower only works on the grow while he/she is clean and pets are not allowed in the area, very rarely will a pest get into it. If one does there are organic solutions available to get rid of same without poisons to contaminate the crop.

Once again, this time with great feeling: It is Prohibition that is the problem, not the thing that has been prohibited or the people who use it. Prohibition simply does not work as intended and costs far more than it is worth. It hides real problems and keeps at-risk persons from seeking medical/professional assistance. It corrupts LEO (67% of LEO who come into contact with the illicit substance trade become directly involved in it. This from the book I cited above). It is so cost - ineffective that it drags our entire society down and complicates everything that we do.

12. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Not sure quite what you have in mind, but I wonder if these things would be of use in this situations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_tube

Note that they aren't terribly expensive - much less expensive than regular skylights, for example.

13. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

In Ohio they want you to have the still built and in place because an inspection is required to get the small fuel producers permit..Naturally you would start with something small (presumably beverage size). Reason being that if you're turned down your investment wasn't as great..Or so my thinking goes.

14. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

right on Stoni . Wow we can set up our very own growing oporation right on S.F. if we wanted too . Bug free too. Just Joking Varda

15. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

good for light enhancement I would think . They are a popular item retro fit in kitchens . I think you all should get a few in every room . Yeah

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

wow. that is one heck of an assumption :bugeye:

I don't grow pot. I was going by the National Geographic article. If people want a natural high, I thought they would care about the planet and grow it naturally. I'm uniformed, not biased and hostile.

17. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Hmmmm......how does this compare to the emissions for one cigarette or one cup of coffee?

One of the comments in response to the article follows, for those who may have missed the start of this thread.....

Virtually ALL activities by our species engage in the manipulation of nature, and by dint of our sheer numbers, we have impact upon our habitat, in many forms.

A cost/benefit analysis of any of our activities, from food sourcing, to sanitation, to disposing of the bodies of the deceased, is going to 'reveal' the fact that human activity, in general, isn't green.

The true cost of any product or activity goes far beyond the dollar analysis that we assign to it.

The intrinsic value of nature is what is at stake, and there are those that deny that such value even exists.

That, of course, is the nature of some humans, fortunately not all.....

You are likely correct in suggesting that most who engage in the use of 'pot herbs' may not have considered the question of 'green' from such an analytical perspective.

18. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I did not suggest that you "grow pot".

My inference is based on readily observable statements that you have made. It is not a value judgement on either your' inferred sentiments or the statements that bring those.

Perhaps it is carry - over from a biased NG source article. :shrug:

Either way, it is sort - of a red herring to consider the 'be green' sentiment to be of greater social or environmental importance than destroying peoples lives and spending enormous amounts of money to try and regulate what individual persons consume in the privacy of their homes.

To cite just one example (from the previously cited source):

A young woman was pulled over while on her way to work in LA. The cop went on what we term a "fishing expedition" in her car and personal effects by using a common LEO verbal trick to get her to give up her constitutional rights against undue search/seizure without "probable cause". He found 2 joints in her purse and arrested her.

She served 3 years in jail at a cost of $65,000/year to taxpayers. She lost her job and obtained a criminal record making it much harder for her to get a job when she got out. The court took away custody of her 3 children and put them in foster care at a cost of $25,000/year/child = $75,000/year. The LA police "confiscated" all of her meager worldly possessions as "drug forfeiture".

When she got out she had no choice but to go on public assistance as no-one would hire an ex - con, her children had spent 3 years without their birth mother and she owned nothing, had no place to live and had lost custody of her kids. LEO had taken a productive American citizen taxpayer and single parent raising her children on her own and turned her into an unemployed person on public welfare rolls for a rough cost of $420,000 to the taxpayers of California.

Question: Between the carbon footprint of the production of approximately 2 grams of plant matter and the carbon footprint cost of arresting, trial, custody loss of children, foster care, incarceration and loss of a productive taxpayer - which carbon footprint is the greater?

Question: if we are going to spend that money and carbon to regulate an individuals' cannabis consumption "for the greater good", are we going to do that for sugar, fat, chemical additives/preservatives, unneeded prescriptions and the like?

It is estimated based on current statistical trends in US prohibited substance arrest/incarceration rates that by the year 2020 fully 1/2 of all American citizens will be in jail for "drug crimes" and the other 1/2 will be there guarding them. There will be no-one working to pay the taxes to support this idiocy. It is not possible for us to continue in this manner. We simply cannot afford it. We will either change the way we do things or we will go broke and bankrupt.

Choose.

19. taichitarot Registered Senior Member

misleading information

no woman was jailed four years for possession of two joints.
    What alot of crap.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  20. taichitarot Registered Senior Member

pots horrible shit anyway.
    what was once reasonably enjoyable to smoke is no longer the same plant... it's been genetically engineered by somebody into an acrid pungeant vile thing- all chemical feeds ewww discusting.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, yeah, I'm not believing that either. LOL

22. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

23. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member