Post-Diluvian Nephilim?

Discussion in 'Comparative Religion' started by one_raven, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Maybe these giants were the Neaderthals; they might have been a very violent species of hominids. And being that we still have Neaderthal chromosomes in modern man's DNA might account for that violent streak in modern humans.
    And possibly our propensity for violence.
    https://www.geek.com/science/your-neanderthal-dna-could-be-causing-a-beer-gut-1719518/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Neanderthals weren't any tall than Homo sapiens sapiens.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

That may be true, but what about the Yeti or the Sasquatch? They were/are much taller than modern humans, no?
    And consider also that early modern humans were on average shorter than we are now.

Moreover, who says the Nephilim were giants? Any fossil remains that would indicate giant hominids?
    From this quote it seems that the Nephilim had nothing to do with the "bene Elohim" (the sons of God). It clearly states that the Nephilim were already on earth , and also after the "sons of God" came into the daughters of men and bore children to them, who became those mighty men of renown.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Okay, you want to include Wookies as well?

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Why not? Do you have any evidence of Nephilim or bene Elohim? It's all myth and mythology tends to exaggerate every non-verifiable religious or historical account, verbally passed on from generation to generation.

Ever looked at the progressive distortion of the original message in rumors. Pass a rumor on 10 times and it has no resemblance to the original message.

9. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

You're not supposed to be refuting yourself. Takes all the fun out of it for others.

Walter L. Wagner likes this.
  10. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I am an atheist, cautioning against blind acceptance of religious mythology and rumor. But if I can provide some fun in this discussion . You may not like the language, but you will not be able to deny the logic.

11. EgalitarianJay Registered Senior Member

No, it is specifically saying that that the Nephilim were conceived by the "Sons of God" who had sex with the "Daughters of Man" thus mixing the bloodline of humans. Genesis implies that Nephilim were one of the reasons that God created the flood. Also in the Book of Enoch which is not included in the King James Bible it goes in to a lot of detail on the influence of the Nephilim on human societies. As for theories for who the Nephilim really were I personally think it is just a myth. If there were a race or population of people with particularly tall stature we would have fossil evidence. While the Neanderthal were a hominid species that could interbreed with modern humans and they were physically stronger than humans they were not exceptionally tall. The Nephilim were said to be a race of giants who dwarfed ordinary men in size. I don't know how tall but I think they would at least have to be 7 footers or greater to leave the impression on the authors that they were giants. Based on what I've read I get the impression they were taller than average but not Paul Bunyan caliber in height as they were able to blend in with human society and mate with humans. I will scan the image from my book and look up passages from The Book of Enoch later today.

12. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Using a book consisting mostly of myths isn't going to help prove anything. Adding wild-ass guessing to the mix just makes it worse.

13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Then quote that passage in it's original form. What I read is that the Nephilim existed before the sons of god came to earth, and continued to exist after this event.

Please do and read it carefully. The Nephilim are not related to the sons of god.

Check out the Dinka, a tribe in Africa.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Now if that woman is not a giant, then what is? Note the shoes. The small person is wearing "heels", tall person is wearing "flats"

14. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Picture is shopped.

Dinka are sometimes noted for their height. With theTutsi of Rwanda, they are believed to be the tallest people in Africa. Roberts and Bainbridge reported the average height of 182.6 cm (5 ft 11.9 in) in a sample of 52 Dinka Ageir and 181.3 cm (5 ft 11.4 in) in 227 Dinka Ruweng measured in 1953–1954.
    Dinka people - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinka_people

15. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

• Caroline Welz – 6'9 – As tallest women, ...
    • Malee Duangdee – 6'10 – ...
    • Gitika Srivastava- 6'11 – ...
    • Uljana Semjonova – 7'1- ...
    • Zainab Bibi – 7'2 – ...
    • Malgorzata Dydek – 7'2 – ...
    • Sandy Allen – 7'7 – ...
    • Yao Defen – 7'8 – Yao Defen is No. 1 spot in our list of Top 10 Tallest Women in the World.
    More items...
    Top 10 Tallest Women in the World 2017 Update | Top10Twist

16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I am an atheist, and IMO the entire bible consists mostly of myths. I am just trying to see things from a religious perspective.
    But no matter how hard I try, none of the evolution of man as described in the bible matches our knowledge from the fossil record.

A lot of dinosaurs were gigantic and some of their fossil remains show similar bone structure to human bones.
    So anyone who comes across the fossilized "femur" of a dinosaur, might well see this as the femur of a giant. And that's true, it's just these giants were not human.

17. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

The Greeks found skulls of mastodons and assumed the nasal cavity was an eye socket and the skull was that of a cyclops. The connection to their religion was very weak.

Write4U likes this.
  18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I am a Dutchman and the Dutch are currently (on average) rated as the tallest western people. Undoubtedly this is an evolutionary effect from diet and genetic variety over millennia..
    Well yes, an average height does not tell us much does it? Some Tutsi are 11 ft tall and it stands to reason that the tallest and strongest of any tribe or society would be the chosen warriors, who could do great violence to smaller people.

19. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Show me a Tutsi eleven feet tall. Source that can be confirmed, please.

20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Sorry that was a reading error by me, but consider this
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Tallest-People-in-the-World-61130.shtml

So if the average height of those people was 6ft, 4in. then it stands to reason that some individuals may have been much taller and some much shorter.

Manute Bol, a famous African basketball player (athlete) was 7ft 7in. Seems that this is getting close to being a giant as compared to a member of a pygmy tribe.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  21. timojin Valued Senior Member

Have you heard of Cro Magnon man they were supposedly be giants .

22. EgalitarianJay Registered Senior Member

OK I'm back. Here is the scanned page from the book The Mythical Creatures Bible: The Definitive Guide to Legendary Beings by Brenda Rosen.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I use BibleGateway.com as a source for searching for passages in different versions. I will use my Bible at home and compare to the New International Version on BibleGateway.com.

King James Version - Red Letter Edition (Genesis 6:1-7)

And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, ann daughters were born unto them, 2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. 3 And the Lord said, my spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. 4 There were Giants in the Earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came unto the daughters of man, and they bare children with them. the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. 5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was evil continually. 6 And it repented the Lord the that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. 7 And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air, for it repenteth me that I have made them.

New International Version (Genesis 6: 1-7)

Wickedness in the world

6 When human beings began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the Lord said, ‘My Spirit will not contend with[a] humans for ever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.’ 4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days – and also afterwards – when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown. 5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, ‘I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created – and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground – for I regret that I have made them.’

Based on these passages the Bible seems to be saying that when humans began populating the Earth the "Sons of God" came to Earth, took human women as wives and had children with them which became the Nephilim who contributed to the wickedness of man. God observed this wickedness, regretted creating humans and decided to wipe out mankind with the flood. When the Bible says giants were on the Earth in those days and after that what I believe they mean is that giants were on Earth in the old days and later periods. The beginning of the Nephilim bloodline begin with the sons of God and the daughters of man.

Now in The Book of Enoch which I have on Amazon Kindle it specifically says that the Sons of God were Angels who found human women attractive, took them as wives and had offspring who were aggressive and evil by their nature. These offspring were described as giants. Notice that in the King James Version the word giant is used but in the New International Version the word Nephilim is used. Also take note that the Bible specifically says how many Angels were involved, the names of their leaders and the height of these giants.

The Book of Enoch

Chapter 3: Fallen Angels

1 And it came to pass when the children of men had multiplied that in those days were born unto them beautiful and comely daughters. 2 And the angels, the children of the heaven, saw and lusted after them, and said to one another: "Come, let us choose us wives from among the children of men and beget us children." 3 And Semjaza, who was their leader, said unto them: "I fear ye will not indeed agree to do this deed, and I alone shall have to pay the penalty of a great sin." 4 And they all answered him and said: "Let us all swear an oath, and all bind ourselves by mutual imprecations not to abandon this plan but to do this thing." 5 Then sware they all together and bound themselves by mutual imprecations upon it.

And they were in all two hundred; who descended in the days of Jared on the summit of Mount Hermon, and they called it Mount Hermon, because they had sworn and bound themselves by mutual imprecations upon it. 6 And these are the names of their leaders: Samlazaz, their leader, Araklba, Rameel, Kokablel, Tamlel, Ramlel, Danel, Ezeqeel, Baraqijal, Asael, Armaros, Batarel, Ananel, Zaqlel, Samsapeel, Satarel, Turel, Jomjael, Sariel. These are their chiefs of tens. 7 And all the others together with them took unto themselves wives, and each chose for himself one, and they began to go in unto them and to defile themselves with them. 8 And they taught them charms and enchantments, and the cutting of roots, and made them acquainted with plants. 9 And they became pregnant, and they bare great giants, whose height was three thousand ells: Who consumed all the acquisitions of men. And when men could no longer sustain them, the giants turned against them and devoured mankind.

10 And they began to sin against birds, and beasts, and reptiles, and fish, and to devour one another's flesh, and drink the blood. Then the earth laid accusation against the lawless ones. 11 And Azazel taught men to make swords, and knives, and shields, and breastplates, and made known to them the metals of the earth and the art of working them, and bracelets, and ornaments, and the use of antimony, and the beautifying of the eyelids, and all kinds of costly stones, and all colouring tinctures. 12 And there arose much godlessness, and they committed fornication, and they were led astray, and became corrupt in all their ways. 13 Semjaza taught enchantments and root − cuttings, Armaros the resolving of enchantments, Baraqijal taught astrology, Kokabel the constellations, Ezeqeel the knowledge of the clouds, Araqiel the signs of the earth, Shamsiel the signs of the sun, and Sariel the course of the moon. 14 And as men perished, they cried, and their cry went up to heaven.

I looked in to it and according to Wikipedia an "ell" was originally in reference to the length of the arm from the elbow to the tip of the middle finger and said to be approximately 18 inches. If the Nephilim were 3,000 ells in height then they would have been close to 14 feet tall. So according to scripture the race of giants known as the Nephilim were much taller than any man living today, they possessed superhuman strength, were known for their cruelty and had the reputation of being heroes in the history of early man.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  23. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I read an interesting article that size actually results in conservation of energy, which at first seems contradictory but