POP SCIENCE:

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by paddoboy, Jan 21, 2016.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Rather faith in the official canon, than any conceited troll.
    You've had plenty of opportunity to embarrass me but end up embarrassing yourself.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

No ignored because your less than adult attitude reflected in your posts and silly false indignation is not worth the time nor the effort.
    Pot, kettle,black Oh the irony of it all!
    Let me reiterate again, since it has escaped you in your agenda laden tirade.....
    Pop Science is great stuff! Pop science is essential to the general populace.
    Yes, sometimes science journalists indulge in sensationalism [such as Hawking said BH's do not exist] sensationalism that is generally recognised for what it is by those truly interested in science, but quickly grabbed hold of by the fraudsters and phoneys when they see the need to, particularly when the said article refutes there own brand of science.

And my thread here was initiated to show and highlight all the tripe and associated agendas, posted under the guise of science when it was anything but.
    We have sections in the fringes for that.
    If that disappoints you, sorry not too much I'm able to do to comfort you.

krash661 likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Vintage paddoboy. Attack as best form of defense. No need for substance. No need to objectively answer any specifics of one's foe. Just overwhelm with bluster. Confident that reasonable folk will tire of such exchanges long before indefatigable paddoboy would think of stopping such pointless exchanges.
    Very well paddoboy - on that criteria, consider yourself the 'winner'. I 'concede'.

dumbest man on earth likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No, not at all: You have an axe to grind: The cap obviously fitted and you than started your tirade. That's all I've got to say.

krash661 likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Science that isn't popular nor accessible might as well be Latin, or Ancient Greek, or for that matter, religion, which for most translations derived of those two sources, and were translated from the original Hebrew and/or Aramaic scriptures.

Both the Greeks under Alexander the Great, and Rome under various Emperors conquered the people who originated those writings, and now their respective translations are pretty much all that remains of the most accessible surviving writings of both of those cultures. On the basis of what is left, today it is hard to discern who conquered whom.

This is what happens to a field of learning that is not "popular" among anyone but members of the clergy. May science never be so unpopular as these sorts of threads from paddoboy.

Science that never changes is science that is dead, or might as well be. The clergy that are the custodians of a dead language make about as much difference as those who tend a graveyard.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    river likes this.
  8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

For some, it certainly strikes a chord and hits home: Hence the one or two rowdy tirades, kicking and screaming.
    Certainly various disciplines of the sciences will change, as our instrumentalities improve, our observations are extended, and further data is gathered. But that will be done from and by the mainstream, most certainly not by anyone posting incognito and without credentials on a science forum such as this:Unlike our custodial friends of the dead language and religion you speak of.

9. brucep Valued Senior Member

Apparently sometimes it does matter, to scientists, how they're work is understood by folks that post in this forum and the public in general. This is evidenced by the many posts they've made, in this forum through tashja, answering questions. Some folks I really admire. Like Professor Unruh and all those who share scholarship with us. Many times paddoboy references their comments to help those who seem to think scholarship is bullshit understand. It gets old. The will to remain ignorant is strong in this forum. At the very least the path paddoboy is on leads to increased scholarship on the subjects he talks about. He's already revealed his credentials. I would have thought you could figure this out on your own. His credentials include enough scholarship to know when he's listening to bullshit and the scholarship to know which direction it's coming from. And that he's actually very interested in these subjects and the folks who've introduced the subject matter for all of us. For all the cranks who can't figure this out I don't believe this is going to help.

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Agree most certainly on your last sentence, but on the first sentence I humbly thank you but merely see it as an application of common sense and logic, for the many reasons I have stated.

11. river

POP - science lacks any real understanding of anything of whats really going on in this Universe.

12. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Why do you think that?

13. river

Because it excludes what doesn't fit in their theories.

14. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

And why do you think it "doesn't fit in their theories"?

15. river

Because its too complicated.

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Yep, the supernatural, fairies, goblins, giants, Alien origin UFO's etc etc etc.

The gullibility of your beliefs as above tell a far different story.

17. The God Valued Senior Member

Thats cool...Last time I found myself dumbstruck when i realised that this guy Paddoboy, to whom I was pushing some simple maths was not even aware of how to find volume of a sphere where radius is given...well that answers your question.

dumbest man on earth likes this.
  18. Yazata Valued Senior Member

The point I was making is that Paddobody started this thread ranting against what he called "posers". My point was that pretty much everyone who posts to Sciforums appears to be a scientific layman. That makes everyone here a "poser" to some extent, particularly when they try to write with authority about subjects that they have never formally studied. Unless people can retain some humbleness and humility, posing is seemingly inevitable whenever non-scientists express strong opinions about scientific issues.

I've never encountered those individuals. But as I wrote earlier, what Sciforums badly needs are some people not only with educations in their subjects but with the ability to teach other people the basics. In my opinion, Sciforums currently has too many loud voices and not enough understanding of fundamentals.

I haven't encountered anyone on this board who actually comes out and says that scholarship is bullshit, apart from Paddoboy himself, when he's foolishly dismissing scholarship in the philosophy of science. In my opinion, Paddoboy is one of Sciforums' worst examples of willful-ignorance. It's especially ironic when he tries to set himself up as the board's authority on scientific method, on scientific logic and epistemology, on the science/pseudoscience 'demarcation problem' and on the historical value of science generally, all issues that he proudly proclaims that he's never studied and that no one else should study either.

Has he ever taken any university classes in a scientific subject? Does he have any academic degrees? Has he ever held any kind of employment relevant to anything that he writes about?

I think that I probably have.

I think that he'd be a lot better off if he was less combative and less constantly on the attack against anyone he perceives as being a heretic or an unbeliever. Sciforums isn't a video-game and it isn't always good-guys killing bad-guys. Oftentimes differences of opinion introduce interesting issues that it would be educational to explore. Even when we are right and the other guy wrong, we can typically learn a lot more about our own subject figuring out precisely why that is.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    Q-reeus and dumbest man on earth like this.
  19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Except of course that isn't true, but that's just another questionable quality in your make up isn't it?

20. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

And therein lies your problem! I dare criticise or deride pure philosophical arguments as I have with you in the past, certainly raises your angst past boiling point, resulting in you totally and intellectually dishonestly ignoring the message of the OP!
    With simple quotes such as......

Philosophy consists very largely of one philosopher arguing that all others are jackasses. He usually proves it, and I should add that he also usually proves that he is one himself.
    Henry Louis Mencken.
    or
    Scientists are explorers. Philosophers are tourists.
    Richard Feynman

Enough said about your personal rant!

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

And in fact the OP is making reference at people like you, posting outright nonsense, and claims in the science sections, while refusing to reveal what credentials you have [obviously none] to invalidate present accepted cosmology.
    Thanks anyway that the mods having finally recognised another of your futile attempts and finally moved to the the fringes!

22. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

Do you mean the doughnut?

paddoboy likes this.
  23. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

So, are you saying the present state of the science sections has nothing to do with the modding?
    I agree with bruce here...
    Under such modding, as Bruce describes, I think the science sections would draw more 'teachers' than the few we are lucky to have now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016
    paddoboy and brucep like this.