Poll: In 5 days Tortise will unveil a perpetual motion machine- yes or no

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Tortise, May 7, 2006.

?

Can Tortise exhibit perpetual motion?

Poll closed May 13, 2006.
  1. Yes I have faith in Tortise.

20.8%
  2. No, Tortise your a jackass

45.8%
  3. I don't care Tortise but agree that your a jackass

4.2%
  4. No, but can't wait to see what hair brained idea Tortise has come up with.

45.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Total bullshit. It is expanding due to energy already there.
    Have you actually read any book on cosmology or been to Uni lectures?
    I guess not, because you demonstrate a total lack of knowledge in physics laws and theories.

No, it is not, and space is not nothingness, space is energy.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

the expansion is faster and faster, so where does the increase of energy come from?

it doesn't mean i'm wrong just because i don't accept modern science as truth.

physicists don't know what that energy is, they don't know what it is made of.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

Good question.

Like the Earth, they could have liquid cores heated by radioactivity. But (IIRC) the more likely explanation is that tidal forces (from Jupiter) are heating the cores.

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

What is the energy source of tidal forces?

8. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Holy! MacM??? Looks like I underestimated that guy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Out of curiosity:
    That a coincidence? I googled and found tons of "James R"s (and I thought our James was Australian).

9. DaleSpam TANSTAAFL Registered Senior Member

Exactly.

-Dale

10. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

No, that's not our James R. He's at Melbourne Uni.

11. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Yea, I figured as much. Weird coincidence though.

While we're on the subject, here's another one I was wondering: Prosoothus = Tom van Flandern ??????? They seem to have similar ideas concerning relativity, and it seems his first name is Tom ([THREAD=18941]see here[/THREAD]) so I was just wondering...

Any other regular contributors to sf that can be found elsewhere on the net?

12. Tortise Registered Senior Member

Gravitational attraction works against the rotation of the satellites. These two forces work against eachother to produce friction. This is what causes the heat until the satellite's rotational (day) gets in sync with it's rotation around the object it is orbiting. To get back to your question, the energy source of tidal forces is gravitational attraction.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

c7ityi_:

I think there are some subtleties in the description of spacetime expansion of which you are unaware. I am not sure whether we ought to expect energy to be conserved, or even to be readily definable, in this scenario.

This is the old "They all laughed at Galileo, and he was shown to be right!" argument. As somebody pointed out, they all laughed at Bozo the Clown, too...

It's funny that physicists apparently don't know what energy is - seeing as they invented the whole idea in the first place!

14. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

What is the energy source of gravitational attraction?

cause.

how can space and time expand when they're not made of anything?

ether.

yeah. physicists invented gravity and many other things, and they don't know what they are and what causes them.

15. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

The energy is derived from rotation. In the case of the Earth's tides, for example, the rotational speed of the Earth is gradually decreasing. The energy is lost as friction as water and rock move in response to the Moon's tug. Some is also transferred to the Moon itself, boosting its orbit.

16. Tortise Registered Senior Member

Laika - You may very well be right, but I would argue that it is the competing forces that cause the friction and the heat - rotational momentum, and gravitational attraction (gravitational attraction / acceleration due to gravitational attraction between the Earth and the moon / angular momentum / centrifugal force - that actually changes slightly the shape of the planet when water pools on the near side toward the moon and on the far side of the planet) . Each fact without the other - and there would be no friction - and no tides. For example, When the moon rotates in sync with the Earth - when the earth day is as long as the moon takes to orbit Earth, there will be no tidal friction, and no tides (but the earth will still be rotating)- just a slightly differently shaped earth.

- and with the conservation of angular momentum, the moon will be further away, and slower period around the Earth. The total energy is conserved - (you were right about that). But perhaps I'm not understanding this to the full extent Laika. Consider this:

Pete said (in a different post)
    Now this makes sense to me. I mean there is more gravitational energy ect. the lower satellite would have to be going much faster - because it is falling faster - so I have no problem with this - But where my understanding may fail, is how is the angular momentum conserved when the moon gets further away from the Earth? As a satellite - it would have LESS angular momentum as the above example - wouldn't it?
    Peace

Last edited: May 12, 2006
  17. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Laika:

I have heard this countless times but never understood it; how does Earth angular momentum get transfered to the Moon? Invisible long ropes? Invisible hydraulic jacks?

If someone tells me that gravity does it, how does gravity do it? How does a reduction of the Earth rotational velocity go to the Moon and change its orbit?

18. Singularity Banned Banned

Asume two large planets in elliptical orbits to each other such that they just pass by eachother without any kindof friction.

As they pass by close to each other both of them gets streched and large amounts of heat is generated and return back to their shape as they go away.

so where is the energy comming from ?

I hope I havent goofed up !

19. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

No it will have more and the Earth less (days will last more than 24 hours) You need to know physics is a well developed science, not a field for idle speculation. Study it a little - you have displayed your ignorance enough now.

The speed is decreasing (if memory serves me correctly) square root of the separation (or perhaps as 2/3 power) - it is less than linear any way. The angular momentum is the product of the distance and the speed or in vector notation RxV, where you need to know the cross product as badly as you needed to know the dot product a few days ago.

Because the distance is increasing linearly with distance and the speed falling off less rapidly than linear with the distantance, their product, the angular momentum, is increasing, not decreasing as you, in ignorance, speculate.

There is no shame in being ignorant - only in not trying to learn.

PS, if you want to learn, work out how the speed varies with distance to the moon (assume Earth is fixed.) It is not hard to do. Then you will understand, both (1) Why what I told above is true and (2) how lazy I am to not have done it for the 20th time.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2006
  20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Invisible gravitational forces.

The Earth's tidal bulge leads the position of the moon slightly, due to the Earth's rotation. Therefore, the gravitational force on the moon from the bulge tends to speed the moon up in its orbit, which causes the orbit to change. The equal and opposite effect of the moon pulling back on the tidal bulge causes the Earth's rotation to slow.

21. Tortise Registered Senior Member

Billy T: it's one thing to understand physics, and completely another to regergitate words like you do. If you had an origional idea it would probably kill you. I knew the answer, I was just trying to see it in my mind. Kepler's law says that an orbiting body will have the same angular momentum at every point in it's orbit even if it is extreemly eccentric. Which means when it is traveling 5 mph it will have the same angular momentum as when it is traveling 150. To regergitate this and to see it in your mind is two very different things. That is why you will never come up with anything new. Besides, why do you feel the need to attack me personally? Do you really care if I study more? Are you trying to push my buttons? What is your real motive? I knew the answer to the question of how the Earth transfers angular momentum to the moon - did you? Besides even if you were much smarter then everyone on this forum, why ruin a perfectly good discussion with rudeness? And the psychologist in me would conclude that you yourself are secretly afraid of revealing your own incompetence. One of the differences between you and me is that I don't put a lot of thought into much of what I post, because I'm not trying to impress anyone. You choose you words more carefully because you are afraid of looking stupid - I am stupid sometimes. I feel like I've won if I learn - You need to impress people. I'm out of here, because I'm tired of the charade.

Last edited: May 12, 2006
  22. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

James R.:

MANY THANKS TO YOU.

The solution is so simple and yet I had never read it and have been too dim witted to figure it out. I'm considering tackling 1+1 next if I can get up the nerve.

23. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

The experimental setup shouldn't be too difficult

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!