Poetry - its the only way an atheist can understand death

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by lightgigantic, Feb 3, 2007.

?

Poetry is the only avenue that enables an atheist to understand the subject of death

1. Absolutely - If they deal with it in any other way it is merely bravado

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mostly - If the emmotional stress becomes unbearable it is a likely avenue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Not really - its only popular amongst the mentally weak

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. Not at all - an atheist can face anything without requiring such a crutch

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Death gives my life meaning by giving it a time limit.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

I don't even know where to begin with this vapid thread....

The title itself is both rigidly incongruent, and contradictory.

I have no problem whatsoever understanding death.

I also place little, if any value in poetry and it has never been of any assistance to me in coming to understand anything.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

I guess it just goes to show that applied misconception leads to a weak dialectic - however the OP might learn this from the comments so all is not lost.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

WTF? Poetry? Death? WTF?

8. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Death is one of the few things in life I truly do understand. I don't recall ever reading a poem to understand it, though.

Roses are red,
    Violets are blue.
    I'll be a dead motherfucker someday...
    But so will you!

And in the words of a great chief: It is a good day to die!

There you have it. Poetry in motion.

9. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

I once thought myself a poet, so I went to the crapper, and there I became a rapper!

my rap:

What's to fear? fear of death, when I die the end comes, I will seize
    to exist, as I did once before. Oh! woe them who fear nature, nature itself dies and rebirths, I am matter, matter can't be destroyed, it only changes form, so I will be a spirit, a ghost, or worse non-existent. Yes that's what It is! it's the fear of non-existent that drive the delusions of those who fear death, it's fear of the unknown, it's through fear how they try to manipulate, it's the reason why lighttee comes here with this thread, to try and manipulate by fear, fear of death.

So if you thought my rap was crap, realize were I wrote it! in the crapper, one doesn't become a great rapper.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

It's hard to place death in the background when it's in your front room. It's not really ideal dinner-table conversation, no - but everyone needs to confront it at some point. Family and friends help a lot of people do that (although many others prefer to grieve alone).
    I'm not one of these crusading atheists. Like I said - whatever gets you through the night. It would be churlish and facile to begrudge the bereaved whatever crumbs of comfort they can find.

11. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

Hmm this post really made me think about death, how horrible would it be take have to deal with deal at such a young age.
    Its funny as soon as i start thinking about death as something very real that 'will' happen to me (rather than this abstract notion on the edges of my peripheral consciousness) i actually start to think about the people ive loved and who have loved me, and i hope i will have more love in my life above anything else if im honest.
    Funny how intellect and perceived achievements go out of the window when you momentarily become of aware of your morality.

12. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Sounds like part of your personal doctrine.

Has nothing to do with me, never seen an atheistic poem before in fact never even heard of it as a genre before now.

So I don't really see that I have any problem
    dealing with death as you seem to have decided I do. Good luck on your quest

13. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

I think, athiest or theist, poetry can help many deal with the hardships one faces in life. LG, I think that if turning to poetry helps you deal with your grief, then go for it. I love poetry and have often used it to help me face things that are inevitable, the only difference being that I write it, instead of read it. I am not an athiest so I would not know the best way for an athiest to deal with death. I have seen death, it is ugly and horrible, but also a relief, an end to physical suffering...still, I do not fear death, I fear HOW I will die, I will admit this. I just don't want to get eaten by anything or be tortured, but the idea of existing forever or not existing at all, does not scare me. Incidently, I don't think being a theist means you fear death. I don't understand why being a theist is always brought down to fear. Are people who are theists weaker and less capable of handling hard things in life? From my experiences, no, this is not the case, in fact I think it takes a stronger person to maintain a belief or faith despite all opposition. Then again I don't know if I am a theist either, so I probably shouldn't speak for either side. LG, if poetry is your outlet then I am right there with you. I often write poetry about death, the idea of it, the how or why. I find death interesting, intriguing, but I also understand the suffering part as well. I am truly sorry for your loss. I also recently lost a close relative to death and it was...well, there are no words for it. If you are interested in sharing poetry you can PM any time.

14. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I thought that was Lt. Worf?

Ah, bloody Klingons - nicking all the good stuff for themselves!

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

still not clear how friends and family help solve the problem of death 9except perhaps making one forget about it temporarily) after all, even friends and family die

actually its explained in the article quoted in the OP
    But its not clear how rationality can help one deal with the nature of death - like for instance if you or a loved one were about to die, how would logic and rationality help you deal with the inevitable turmoil that would bring ---- actually I don't think it is really possible to answer this since, as indicated by the numerous posts, the whole topic of death and dying just tends to attract a crescendo of bravado from our learned assembly

death, particularly one's own, tends not to attract too much in depth contemplation

16. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

LG - while I voted in the "Not at all" category - your poll options are, as I think has been said, limited and misleading.

For example - while I do not agree that "poetry is the only way that an atheist can understand death" - I also do not agree with the generalisation that "an atheist can face anything without requiring such a crutch", nor with the ridiculous notion that poetry is for the "mentally weak", nor with any of the other options you put forward.

Your poll is also asking for people's generalisations - not their personal opinion on the matter of atheism / death / poetry.

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

actually its interesting that self empowerment seminars, ranging from AA to commercial entrepreneurs, utilize similar aspects that theism operates on to surmount difficulties

lol - it is a common source of inspiration for poets

in the hands of an atheist it usually ends up nilhistic

eg -
    compare that to a theist

I find death interesting, intriguing, but I also understand the suffering part as well. I am truly sorry for your loss. I also recently lost a close relative to death and it was...well, there are no words for it. If you are interested in sharing poetry you can PM any time.

[/QUOTE]
    thanks

18. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I am surprised you can not see how it can help. Maybe that is why it doesn't help you.
    If you can cope only through irrationality - then go for it.

But maybe if you explain what you see as the "nature of death" then we can progress this discussion.

How do you / would you rationalise the "turmoil" of the loss of a limb?

It is painful (physically and mentally), but one copes - by putting in place things that help you with the loss. This is a rational and logical approach.
    One builds in to this means of coping with the emotional aspects - by having counsellors etc.

It is not hugely different, in principle, to coping with death.

Rather typical of you, LG - trying to prevent people from disagreeing with you by claiming that any disagreement is mere bravado.

I really thought you'd be above such petty tactics.

What's there to contemplate about one's own death?
    How can one contemplate about something they can know nothing of?

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Sarkus
    obviously you have never had a near death experience - or if you have you have forgotten what it was like - the simple fact that soldiers undergo special training to deal with it and they don't always come out mentally stable should indicate something, what to speak of car accidents, suicides, or other regular homicides
    simple - you will die and everyone about you will die and the standard pursuits of life (money, false prestige, sex etc) will not diminish its effect or presence
    people who lose limbs commonly go into shock, particularly if the amputation is quite sudden or horrific - rational analysis only comes into play when the emotions have left the scene
    and while one is in an emotional state, none of these rational or logical processes can help

the only difference being that the notion of not existing stirs up emotions that never really leave the scene
    If a solider 9who undergoes special training) has great difficulty rationally anticipating what its like to have their leg blown off the chances of your average sciforumer being able to anticipate how their or their loved one's inevitable demise will leave them feeling is probably a bit of a distant call

generally its seen that death, particularly our own, has the ability to forgo our preconceived ideas
    see what I mean ...

20. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Should indicate what?
    LG, I really am not clear on what you whole point is.

And your problem with this is...?
    Are you trying to solve something?
    Are you trying to say it is not how it should be?

Your statement above is valid - but I'm not sure what you're driving at.

No. Rational analysis can come into play before that.
    One can feel emotional but still act rationally - it really depends on the strength of the emotion and one's ability to override them.
    And it also helps to know, through rational analysis, when one is primarily acting irrationally through extreme emotion.

Yes, they can.
    It is a battle between emotion and rationality. The more you can try and rationalise the more you can start to reduce the emotional decision-making.
    The more successful you are in rationalising the situation the more you can overcome the emotions and not let them rule your decisions.
    And you can not tell me that it doesn't work.
    It does. At least for me.
    The emotions are still there but they are kept in check by rational thinking.

You might well be different - and if you do nothing but merely wait for the emotions to subside then okay.

And I still can't see where poetry comes in.
    For some it might help - certainly in lessening the frustration at not being able to put into words what they are feeling and the poetry being able to do that for them, or merely in seeing that someone else feels what they do.
    But not for me.
    And I still don't think being an atheist or theist has any bearing on it. As said - the two parts are a non sequitor.

21. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Ah! but Sarkus, this is a thing a theist or any mystic can't possibly do. They rely on their emotions, they live by them, they make decisions on them. "gut feeling" or what not. They are in essence lacking in reason, when they always rely on the aspect of hope, faith, beliefs, religious optimism. They have all the answers, and if anyone disagree with them, we are just plainly wrong, mislead, or don't understand because we refuse to look at things their way. See the actions of LG, this tactic is the one we see from this guy. He has pounded on his keyboard that we lack the epistemology of his beliefs, that we don't understand the ontology of his beliefs, he has elevated himself as above our understanding, an understanding of which apparently he can't make himself clear to us. Though his resolution is to try and belittle one's opinion by merely telling us "we don't understand"

As an atheist, I think we have a grasp of reality that of course he can't possibly understand, we don't live by the hope or faith that we will continue to live after death, to me and many atheist this is nothing more then a ploy, a ploy to convince to believe what they do out of fear, fear of the unknown. It's plain and simple, this is the obvious reason why death is always brought up in a religious discussion. You are going to die! were will you go? What's going to happen to you? Your loved ones are going to die, how are you going to deal with this? I have faith, I believe, I have hope, that I will see my loved ones again in heaven...Bla..bla...bla.. the reasons a theist believes, is nothing more than fear!

Theist live by an emotion, and that emotion is fear, fear of the unknown. All through history, with every new gadget invented, the theist was claiming it to be the work of the devil, when witches were burned for simply mixing up herbs to cure, this was the work of the devil, when space ships flew out to space, theist feared the wrath of god as in Babylon's tower of Babel will happen again. Fear and fear is their tool, their strongest emotion, that they indoctrinate their children with.

Atheist grasp on reality helps them deal better with death, for we know this is a one ticket ride, we make the best or our lives, we deal with grief for loved ones, and we never forget them, for we know we will never see them again. Atheist don't live with the false illusion that we will see loved ones again, so our grief is even more hurtful then those who live with these false hopes, of heaven and bliss.

What LG intended here is to bring down our position, by demonstrating some poems from atheist's who have lost loved ones, by comparing the writing to theist who have lost loved ones, and rationalizing that all atheist deal with death basically the same. This is what is fallible with rationalizations, he is making absolute statements without any freaking evidence to back up his stupidity. I don't like poetry at all, and I have dealt with death of loved ones, I have been near death as well LG. drug overdose "this is irrelevant here"

Any how what LG has done is assume that we have never dealt with the hardship of life, or wants to get an understanding of how we atheist deal with it, Sarkus is trying to explain it, he has done an eloquent job of it, yet it's you LG who lacks our "epistemology" our "ontology" of grasping reality by reason and logic, by having an understanding of objective reality vs the subjective emotion, and living of faith, hopes and beliefs..

Godless

22. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. So God gives me faith and hope to cope with things, and to achieve what I hope for.

You got to search for the truth you know, even the Bible doesn't come with premade answers, and you have to search honestly and fail many times before you get to know even the slightest detail. But then even the slightest detail is a revelation.

23. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

But what does belief / faith in a God give you that merely believing in yourself can't?
    What is it that this belief / faith actually gives you that enables you to achieve what you hope for?
    Are you saying that if you remove the belief in god that you suddenly wouldn't be able to achieve things?

What do you mean "even the Bible"?
    Why are you putting the Bible on a pedestal above any other?

This is surely a truism of life in general - not of anything specific, and certainly not just of a search for answers in religion?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007