Pick a Religion

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Orleander, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

That's a shame, it seems rather popular.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

in the vedas you don't find so much mention of "isms" but there are 4 general categories of theistic practitioners that can crop up in any circle - basically the terms examine one's motives for taking a "religion" (or dropping one to accept another)

Karmi - interested in material gain ("god give us our daily bread .... or else") - on a side point most "discussion" about religion is about these sorts, since they make up well over 90% of all "theists"
    jnani - interested in one's salvation
    yogi - interested in the acquisition of mystic perfections (and the fame and adoration that goes with it)
    bhakta - interested in serving god with love (bereft of the other 3 desires)

You can take practically any religion you mention and find examples of these four

as it relates to the thread, changing the "rubber stamp" of one's religion doesn't amount to much of a change of anything unless one looks at the motives for change

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I am a moslim

but if I had to pick, I would pick Christian, because that is the next closest religion

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gLy Registered Senior Member

ok fine..i would be baptist..since my cousins are baptists and the teachings are almost the same..

8. Sandoz Girl Named Sandoz Registered Senior Member

I've thought about this often, and I used to think I would be a Taoist, but now I'm leaning more toward Jewish...

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Uh-huh. So, if you HAD to pick a DIFFERENT religion, what would it be?

10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Shiva is the primary deity in hinduism? Isn't Shiva the goddess of destruction referenced when Oppenheimer saw the first nuclear explosion?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

[enc]Belief-o-matic[/enc]

12. Kadark Banned Banned

1. Islam (100%)

I guess the test does work.

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I think you missed the point - determining the many different religions doesn't amount to much difference at all if the only changes of faith people are undertaking is changing being a karmi in the guise of a christian as opposed to a karmi in the guise of a muslim/hindu/buddhist/etc or vice versa

when one arrives at the platform of being a bhakta (regardless of what "ist/ism/etc") then one is in a superior position since it supersedes the desires of the other 3 (karmi, jnani, yogi)

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

shiva is the guna avatar of tamas
    (material nature is defined as being composed of 3 gunas - sattva (goodness - vishnu), rajas (passion - brahma) and tamas (ignorance - shiva)

BS 5.45: Just as milk is transformed into curd by the action of acids, but yet the effect curd is neither same as, nor different from, its cause, viz., milk, so I adore the primeval Lord Govinda (Vishnu) of whom the state of Åšambhu (Shiva) is a transformation for the performance of the work of destruction.

shiva is actually a god - shiva has expansions that deal specifically with the task of dissolving the universe, since its part of the job description of being the guna avatar of tamas

actually it was a quote from the bhagavad gita, from the part where krishna is exhibiting his universal form (the omnipresent form of god) to arjuna, thus displaying the potencies of all and everything (including Lord Shiva's potencies of destruction - much like how milk can display the properties of yoghurt, but yoghurt cannot display the properties of milk)

BG 11.32: The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: Time I am, the great destroyer of the worlds, and I have come here to destroy all people.

15. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification. Although, I must confess, that was a bit confusing. To think, people say the holy trinity in Christianity is confusing!

16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I guess its my duty as an academic to render simple things incomprehensible

:runaway: :runaway:

17. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

I dont have one, so if I had to pick another non-theology, then my choices are atheism or atheism, so I'd choose atheism.
    no change there then.

18. Fugu-dono Scholar Of Shen Zhou Registered Senior Member

Fuguism all the new way... hehe

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yep. So if you HAD to pick a DIFFERENT theology, what would it be. Not sure yet? Still thinking about it? Need more time??

20. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

You'll get used to lg eventually orleander. He lacks the ability to answer a straight question.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I KNOW!!!

22. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

If I had to change religions, I might go Mormon. I find the whole story of the origin unlikely, but have been really impressed by Mormons I have met. They seem like good people, patriotic, hard working, and family oriented.

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

well, to say things more clearly, as long as one is operating out of the framework of karmi, jnani or yogi, there is every possibility of one "changing" one's religion (through the medium of unsatisfied desire) - but when one comes to the platform of being a bhakta, there is no scope for desiring this change since there is no scope for unsatisfied desire - hence becoming a bhakta is summum bonum of theistic practice (the end of the road, so to speak), and its what I would change to adopt