Physics of a Merry-go-round

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Boris2, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Lakon Valued Senior Member

RJB - yes, the above explanations are more agreeable. Some confusion occurred I suppose, because the OP was speaking guns and bullets, whilst subsequent Utube clips showed balls - these being very different velocities relative to merry go round speed.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

OP still hasn't replied. :shrug:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tach Banned Banned

Nonsense, the whole thread is about the Coriolis acceleration, i.e. physics in a rotating platform.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tach Banned Banned

Are you able to write the equation of motion?

8. Tach Banned Banned

It is simply a simulation of the equation of motion. How about you wrote down the equation of motion?

9. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

I humbly propose that NO ONE respond to the obvious baiting above.

10. Tach Banned Banned

Why not? Instead of pretending to be doing physics, prove that you know how to.
    If you write the equations of motion, you can solve them as well. If you can solve them, you can find out the bullet trajectories. Wouldn't you want to know how to do that?

11. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Right. If the merry-go-round were rotating at a realistic speed and guns were using a realistic muzzle velocity then we could say that the problem with the graphic is simply one of a misrepresentation of these relative velocities rather than the conclusion that red is hit with a bullet.

12. Tach Banned Banned

Since you don't know the equations of motion, you cannot claim that. If you knew the equations of motion, you could figure what happens, otherwise, you can't. This is one of the problems that you need to roll out your sleeves and do the math.

13. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

Those "bullets" in the gif look like balls too, and they seem to be moving slowly.

lol, you just did.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Anyway, I hope the OP will clarify certain things. But looks like he forgot about his his thread.

14. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Nah, I was talking to the contributing forum members. I think the OP has left the building.

15. Tach Banned Banned

There is nothing to clarify:
    -the platform rotates with the angular speed \(\omega\)
    -each shooter shoots the bullet with the initial velocity \(\vec{v_1}\),\(\vec{v_2}\)
    -assume that the distances are short enough such that the velocities remain constant
    -there is no friction between bullets and the air

Very simple problem, can any of you three pretenders (eram, RJBeery, Lakon) solve it? (Pete, please abstain from showing them how). At the very minimum, can you write down the equations of motion? Instead of talking about physics, how about actually doing physics for a change?

16. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I think you're missing the concept that the merry-go-round is showing.

The red guy's and the blue guy's guns are always inline with each other at every point in time, regardless of the rotational velocity of the merry-go-round. If both guns fire simultaneously, each bullet continues along the same path, independent of the rotational velocity of the merry-go-round. So the bullet that left the red guy's gun starts traveling towards the blue guy, but as time elapses the rotational velocity of the merry-go-round forces the blue guy to travel away from the point that he was when the red guy fired his gun. Depending on the rotational velocity of the merry-go-round and the muzzle velocity of the round that's fired, the bullet may hit or miss the other guy, depending if the paths meet.

HOWEVER, when the blue guy fires his gun the round starts traveling towards the center (the red guy), but the red guy is at the center and he is not traveling away from where he is, and the bullet continues to travel in the direction it was fired, so the blue guy's bullet will hit the red guy every time, as long as the bullet has enough velocity to make it to the red guy and hit him.

17. Tach Banned Banned

False: \(\vec{a}=-2 \vec{\omega} X \vec{v}\). You not only have trouble with relativity, you also have trouble with classical mechanics.

Do you think you can help the other three solve this exercise?

18. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Okay, I wanna play too. You can respond with 5 letters, I can respond with only 3 letters...Why?

19. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I think you've fallen into the same trap as I did in my initial response to this (see earlier in the thread). The blue man is also moving tangentially, so his gun fires a ball or bullet that moves diagonally, i.e. according to the vector sum of a velocity component towards the centre and a tangential component due to the tangential speed of the gun. So it doesn't actually travel towards the centre, as shown.

20. billvon Valued Senior Member

FYI MotorDaddy is quite proud of how many people he's been able to piss off with his intentional misunderstandings of physics. Don't let him pull you into his trap.

21. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Did you watch and understand the Mythbusters video I posted?

22. Tach Banned Banned

Yes, but he is so much fun , basking in his ignorance. I imagine him to be in his 60's , unemployed, dementia setting in.

23. billvon Valued Senior Member

Oh, I think he knows exactly what he is doing, and enjoys the reactions he gets. He's admitted this,