Philosphy, get a life! :-)

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Frisbinator, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Frisbinator Registered Senior Member

What good has Philosophy done the world as a whole? I would suggest that we would be doing the Universities a favor if we outlawed this major. What does a philosophy major do? TEACH. TEACH. TEACH. It is like we give people this degree just so they can go and teach other people who can get the degree to teach other people, it is this never ending cycle where money is just thrown away! It is similar to that old scam where you pay the person at the top of the list x-amount of money and then when your name gets to the top of the list, you get paid.

Can anyone give me a good reason to keep philosophy around and pay people a salary to teach it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Who says you need a degree to be a philosopher? I find it likely that most true philosophers never went to school for their trade. And they never taught fools their trade. They lived and died in wretched obscurity. Laughed at and scoffed at. Taunted and jibed. And then when the man was dead and could no longer defend himself, someone comes along to pick up his notebooks and make a fortune off of them.

Philosophy is a need. Philosophers don't need to be taught philosophy. Philosophy is a thing which keeps one awake at night. Rattling words like demons bouncing around in their skulls. Philosophy is a madness that threatens to eat you alive if you don't get it out into some form that is manageable. Into writing. Into damnable and blessed words.

Hypergraphia. Hypertension. Hypersensitivity.

You can't teach philosophy. You can only teach a wannabe. And those who can't, teach.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SkippingStones splunk! Registered Senior Member

The teaching of philosophy involves teaching people HOW to learn more than WHAT to learn. There were some great philosophers who wrote a lot and died. I don't know their names or what they wrote but my teacher does. One efficient way to learn about them is to be taught.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Philosophy is the school of thought, it studies the fundamental nature of existence, consciousness, and the relationship of existence to man's existence.

Philosophy helps man define a code of values, ethics and morals.

There are mainly two schools of thought, in philosophy, Aristotelian, an Platonistic, all other authors in history either follow Aristotelian or Platonistic, unfortuanetely the world whent with the mystical father Plato, while Aristotles philosophy maily thrived in the Reinessance, and the birth of US centuries laters, It's unfortunate, that philosophy is not taken seriously, this is why pundits the likes of bush can do what he does, most here are idiots, mindless, and loosing our freedoms, do to the lack of education of philosophy.

Godless.

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Didn't go to school for philosophy, so I can't debate this subject well. But, I can say this. These words offend my sensibilities.

How simple.

How wonderful.

A man spends his life pouring his essence, his heart, his mind, his soul into his work. His gift to mankind. His desire to speak and affect the world. To share himself. And what becomes of it?

Oh, he was platonistic. Put him on the shelf next to the others.

Disgusting.

9. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Strange that your title is, effectively, stinky thinker.

10. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

"And what's so stinking about it?" -Clockwork Orange

Really, the question is... "What's so strange about it?" Thinking is often a malodorous duty. I seem to recall someone mentioning this in the 1001 ways thread, let me see if I can find it...

Ahh. Here it is. From our resident itchyologist, the lovely Gendanken. "140. When the room smells like human ass and you're too busy philosophizing to notice."

This is philosophy, my friend. The robust aroma of ass and blue cheese.

11. philocrazy Banned Banned

philosophy is philosophy

PHILOSOPHER PHILOCRAZY

12. philocrazy Banned Banned

godless:
    Philosophy is the school of thought, it studies the fundamental nature of existence, consciousness, and the relationship of existence to man's existence.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    is that what philosophy is?
    then godless is a philosopher everyone
    because he knows what philosophy is
    I SAY
    PHILOSOPHY IS PHILOSOPHY

PHILOSOPHER PHILOCRAZY

13. philocrazy Banned Banned

and the definition of philosophy is-

Philosopher philocrazy

14. philocrazy Banned Banned

godless:
    There are mainly two schools of thought, in philosophy, Aristotelian, an Platonistic,
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    really
    then what am i mr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i wont bother correcting this clown any further

Philosopher Philocrazy

15. philocrazy Banned Banned

according to godless i see only schools of thought
    according to me i see Philosophy

philosopher PHILOCRAZY

16. philocrazy Banned Banned

You Want More Mr Godless????????????????

Philosopher Philocrazy

17. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

Teaching philosophy to the 0-25 years old is a crime. Young people (most of them, at least) are not ready to learn it, they do not see the point in learning it, they hate it. Philosophy appears to them as a "science" of the obvious and semi-obvious submerged in the diarrhea pool of weird words. I remember myself hating my 1 year long mandatory philosophy course. I hated it deeply and passionately, I've attended only 2 lectures. I've passed the course only because I've cheated shamelessly. Growing up slightly adjusted that attitude.

18. TheERK Registered Senior Member

Alright Philocrazy, guess what: nobody thinks you're funny. You're annoying. You are not crazy at all, you're just trying to act that way; this is immediately transparent.

Either modify the content of (translation: add content to) your posts, or quit posting altogether.

19. TheERK Registered Senior Member

Just because you weren't ready to think about some of the questions in the realm of philosophy until you were 25, doesn't mean others lack that curiosity at a younger age. Don't make assumptions about everybody else.

20. philocrazy Banned Banned

TheErk
    in one word "clown"

Philosopher Philocrazy

21. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Wow. That was so clear. So concise. It actually meant something. Unbelievable. Stupendous. Amazing. Brilliant.

Philocrazy. Seriously. You're not impressing anyone with your gibberish. Your last statement was the best post by you I've ever seen. Try to keep it up.

Edit: Although, I understood what you meant by your previous posts in this thread. But, did you have to spam the thread to do it? Look. An edit button.

22. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Philocrazy is what ignore lists are for. He's on mine. Actually, he has it all to himself.

23. philocrazy Banned Banned

repoman give it a rest will you
    it is you who cant ignore me
    cant you see what you just did

Philosopher Philocrazy
    ps:im done for now,how about you repoman?