PhD and signing your name

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by alexb123, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

    If you are undertaking your PhD you are classed as a Doctor in training. Whoever does this effect how you sign your name? Or is it still just Bsc, Msc etc?
  2. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

    Depends where you are from. In Holland I could use Drs (doctorandus). I would never do that of course. And I am still not using my Dr title. Sometimes in America because some people think that it means something here. haha.
  3. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

    Cheers Monkey
    Im in the UK anyone know what you would use here? I need my girlfriend to write up a report for a friend so a better title will give more credability but we are not sure what she uses.
  4. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

    You're simply not a PhD yet so you don't get to call yourself a doctor, in any country. Here in the USA absolutely nobody boasts of their baccalaureate, since something like 25% of the population have one. In a very few professions it's considered proper to append the initials of one's master's degree, if it's one of the very few professions which requires a master's degree but not a doctorate, and one is in a professional context. E.g., Master of Social Work, Master of Library Science, Master of Education--among your peers or to your clients. Never plain old Master of Science, with the single (in my experience) exception of psychotherapists who are not psychiatrists (M.D.) and in some states need the M.S. to be licensed.

    I don't know what country you live in, it's obviously not the USA because Bsc and Msc are not our abbreviations. It may be different over there, wherever "there" is. Lots of things are. But I would advise you to take a step back and think about what you intend to accomplish by flaunting your intermediate degree. Are you already in business so it's important for your clients to know that you have reached a certain level of certification? Are you in a purely academic environment where one-upmanship is practiced, no matter how gauche it might seem elsewhere? Is there some other circumstance in your country that makes it not just acceptable but necessary to do this? If not, and you have nothing to lose by being modest, I'd suggest dispensing with the title.

    Modesty is always in vogue. People will be more impressed to learn that you have an advanced degree after getting to know you, than if you wave it in their faces.
  5. Hipparchia Registered Senior Member

    I was taught the sequence went like this:

    B.S. = Bull Shit
    M.S. = More of the Same
    Ph.D = Piled Higher and Deeper

    Take FraggleRocker's advice. This is nothing to boast about.

Share This Page