Phase Velocity of Information

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Reiku, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Sure, the phase velocity excedes c. No arguments.

But it carries no information, and this result has been known for quite a long time.

Because it can carry no information, then it doesn't matter that it travles faster than the speed of light.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reiku Banned Banned

''But it carries no information, and this result has been known for quite a long time.''

No... this is not what i means. The Phase attributes to ALL waves forms: even quantum infromation. It isn;t until you apply the wave equation to photons, you need to then invite group velocities...

Now do you understand?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

No...you're not right.

The fact that the phase carries no information is well-known, and the fact that the phase velocity can be faster than the speed of light is also well known. Information is encoded in the ENTIRE signal, and you need the entire signal to tell you any information. The entire signal propogates with a group velocity which is always less than or equal to the phase velocity.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Reiku Banned Banned

But, and this is the last time i debate this for today, the Information is a phase with a velocity through spacetime accoridning to the equations...

... If you disagree, then i have nothing more to say. Sorry.

8. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

One, you've offered no proof of this, after repeated requests.

Two, this is not an opinion held by most people who know these sorts of things.

Sorry Reiku---this is dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.