Petm

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Andre, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I think that certainly possible as I recall that is the case for one of the outer planets, Neptune?

Thanks for the reference. It is some what easier to read than most in this area, but so long and slow to down load, with all those graphs I do not understand. - I have gotten more out of chicken-scratch patterns. :bugeye:

For me, reference mainly exposes that man still knows little of the facts. I think I will come back to this in about 200 years, when they have it bettter sorted out.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I did like his firgure 1 and spent a few minutes studing it. - Some of the under sea mounts are with the aspect ratio of a nail on his scale (but even in sideways display of several pages the ocean floor scale is compressed to partially account for this "They are Nails" impression. What is the steepest slope on any island mount? I.e. least value of tangent for ratio of horizontal separation of the island's beach to where the ocean bottom is relative flat divided by the depth of ocean at that "relative flat" point?

I get idea from him that these mounts (and islands if they break thru ocean surface) are due "weak spots" in the crust. I extend this idea to consider that once laval flows thru a "weak spot," the circumference in contact with water cools and the laval flows up the tube of rock it is making to higher elevation etc. Is this the acccepted view? If yes, why are they so vertical? have any inclinde one been discovered? If inclinded, say by greater differential cooling on "first contact" side of gentle ocean bottom flow, the direction of incline would not be radomn but could eons later cause top of chimney to break off when the prevailing ocean current has changed and no longer gives any hydrodynamic support. Has an inclinded "broken-top" mount ever been seen?

Gold is often found in "dikes" (I think that is what they are called) that seem to have done something like this "up welling tube" only thru land. Has anyone tried (or put out an RFP etc to fund) a horizontal exploratory dill into a deep ocean mount? If not, we could work a good "gold scam" and disappear from the clutches of the law.- Hell, I am in Brazil already.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Andre Registered Senior Member

Large obliquity

Well Laskar has studied interaction between the motions of the planets and find that reson ance between the precession of the equinoxes and the obliquity cycle can cause large excursions of the obliquity. Uranus may be experiencing such a chaotic zone. Venus may have too and lost it's spin in the process. Earth is not prone to a chaotic resonance due to the interaction with the moon, which causes the precession to be much quicker (26ka) than obliquity (41ka). Although he does not make hard statements, it seems to be rather unlikely that Earths obliquity had such large excursions on such a short time scale to explain the warm paleocene poles.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Yes you are correct. - I forgot we have such a large moon (the largest relative to the planet) Reverse my guess to "not very likely." * I am not correct all the time, but working on it still, however I do not remember things as well as I would like. (Sometimes I fear my memory banks are pushing the "full" limit.

)**
    ------------------------------------
    * I am assuming that we had a moon during the period of interest to you, but prior to getting it, perhaps Earth could spin, much more rapidly than today, "on it side"

**Well, I guess "memory full" alternative is better than early ____- Now what was that memory loss mechanism with "tangles" in brain cells called?
    I can not seem to remember!!!

- just kidding, but I do not remember how Alkizmers is spelled, but never could spell well as I am dyslexic.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2006
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.