People being famous/adored for being supporters of their own disease?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by blackmonkeystatue, Mar 11, 2006.

1. blackmonkeystatue Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

I notice that poeple really only seem to look for cures for diseases only they or their loved ones have. They're living their fancy lives until they or their children end up with a disease and all of a sudden that's their purpsoe in life is to help those and others who have that disease. I think it's good that they're doing something about it, and spreading awareness, but of course they're going to do it once they or their loved ones have it, that's what anyone would do. I think it's ridiculous that people describe them as such wonderful people when things like that happen. The first example to pop into my head is Chrisopher Reeve who became such a strong supporter of spinal cord research...after his accident. As if he became so interested in helping those with the disease out of the goodness of his heart or something. I think that it's stupid. He did what any person would do, the only difference is that he's richer and more well known. Am I missing something here or what?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

yes you are missing something....

So Christopher Reeve brought awareness that an 'ordinary unfamous' individual could not. He could have chosen NOT to bring awareness,

Plenty of people with these problems themselves or others close to them DO NOT do anything about it to benefit others?

Also it is highyl likely He supported many charities prior to his accident, this just became his focus after it.

Sometimes things cross our path so that we may learn and become enriched by the experience and pass that on.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i dunno if christopher reeves had a disease though, unless now being kicked and thrown by a horse is considered a disease.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i think it was more of a "horse malfunction".