Valued Senior Member
I know it must be a stupid question, but ->

Which is better Pentium IV 423 or 478?
What is the difference between thm?

Ahh and one more->
IS RIMM so much better thn DIMM?

Pleez help me on this!
THNX!

To answer your question, I had to do a little looking myself because I was intrigued.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/23065.html

Last month, the company told its distributors that Socket 478 P4s were in short supply, a fact a number of PC makers and system builders had been suggesting since early October. Intel's message to the channel was that supply should return to normal by the end of the month. And Intel admitted that supplies of 2GHz P4s would remain tight through Q4.

Behind the shortages appears to have been an attempt by Intel to shift unsold stocks of Socket 423 P4s. Socket 478 was introduced earlier this year to support the SDRAM-based 845 chipset and future DDR SDRAM chipsets.

Older Socket 423 Pentiums were intended only to be used with the 850 chipset, which uses Rambus Direct DRAM. Certainly it's the older parts - most notably the 1.5GHz P4 - which initially shipped as Socket 423 parts that are the most hard to come by.

To see any Architecture differences, your best looking at Pentium 4 Motherboards.
http://www.flipchip.net/p4_motherboards.htm

From what I can see go with socket 478 because of the 850 chipset, since it's newer it's more likely to not need upgrading for a while. The other is already obselete because of the 478.

As for your question of DIMM and RIMM=

Well the 423 uses the 168pin DIMM (PC133)
The problem with this is that since the architecture of the boards are still using RAM which was designed for slower systems, this is probably the last you'll see of DIMM motherboards (Unless they create a higher PC#)

With the 478 it uses the 184pin RIMM (Pair them)
RIMM is the new formulation of RAM designed for the higher processors. Again pointing to the fact that the 478 is the newer model but utilising new parts. You will note by my first anchor though a mention that parts for these systems are in DEMAND. (Manufacturers never learn from things like PLAYSTATION 2 LAUNCH)

General Note:
When computers started using GUI (Graphical User Interfaces) and the processors got faster, the RAM was always left behind.
Your processor might be the quickest on the planet, but it only handles processing information, the Memory has to take the brunt of most work and your computer can only go as fast as your memory permits. These newer formulation of RAM's are for the newer higher processors.

(Before the 478, I would of said go for an ATHLON.)

Last edited:
Admittedly I'm not sure how good the RIMM is. I know Athlons are like 233/266Mhz (so the 423 168pin PC133 is slow in comparison at 133Mhz)

Most people that have Athlons don't complain, in fact Odin seems quite happy :D

Rimms are Rambus

Don't waste your money,have a look at Toms for more detail.
Yes your right Stryder,but I only have the old one133.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back