Paul and Women's status

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Raha, Oct 3, 2003.

1. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

I think that to plagiarize Kirby's Early Christian Writings speaks volumes.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Raha Registered Senior Member

OK. I forgot to post the link. My fault. But your immediate accusation of "plagiarization" also speak volumes. If I wanted to "plagiarize" I would hardly just "copy-and-paste" the original text. I would try to change it little bit to make it seem like my own work. And I would not start "What do you think about this:", which indicates that I am going to cite external source. Do me a favor CA - go and play smartass somewhere else.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. okinrus Registered Senior Member

<i><b>1 Timothy is one of the three epistles known collectively as the pastorals (1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, and Titus). They were not included in Marcion's canon of ten epistles assembled c. 140 CE. Against Wallace, there is no certain quotation of these epistles before Irenaeus c. 170 CE. </b></i>
    I think this actually supports the alledged writings of Paul. Because Marcion corrupted parts of Paul's letters(removing Paul's correspondence with James and Peter) and these corruptions were noticed, it would therefore be difficult to add entire books to Paul's gospel. The fact that Paul was thrown into captivity many times is missed. <i><b>Owing to envy, Paul also obtained the reward of patient endurance, after being seven times thrown into captivity,27 compelled28 to flee, and stoned. After preaching both in the east and west, he gained the illustrious reputation due to his faith, having taught righteousness to the whole world, and come to the extreme limit of the west,29 and suffered martyrdom under the prefects.30 Thus was he removed from the world, and went into the holy place, having proved himself a striking example of patience.(The First Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians1 )</b></i> Polycarp also quotes from Timothy in two places. <i><b>"But the love of money is the root of all evils."24 Knowing, therefore, that "as we brought nothing into the world, so we can carry nothing out,"25 let us arm ourselves with the armour of righteousness.(1 Timothy 6:10)</b></i>
    http://www.ccel.org/fathers2/ANF-01/anf01-11.htm#P770_145457 Ignatius quotes from 2 Timothy
    <i><b>"Wherefore Paul exhorts as follows: "The servant of the Lord must not strive, but be gentle towards all men, apt to teach, patient, in meekness instructing those that oppose themselves.</b></i> and compare these quotations to what is said in 1 Timothy as well <i><b>None of these things is hid from you, if ye perfectly possess that faith and love towards Christ Jesus96 which are the beginning and the end of life. For the beginning is faith, and the end is love.97(1 Timothy 1:14 and 1 Timothy 1:5)</b></i> <i><b>Wherefore Paul exhorts as follows: "The servant of the Lord must not strive, but be gentle towards all men, apt to teach, patient, in meekness instructing those that oppose themselves."</b></i>(2 Timothy 2:24) http://www.ccel.org/fathers2/ANF-01/anf01-16.htm#P1093_206499

There are many more quotations from Timothy but these are enough for right now. It would appear since Polycarp and Ignatius were both disciples of John these two would add considerable weight to the validity of Paul's latter writing as written by Paul verbatim or by a secretary.

The stand that Paul takes about Jews is similar to the book of Mathetes who is supposed to be an apostle of Paul.
    http://www.ccel.org/fathers2/ANF-01/anf01-08.htm#P636_112351 I don't find it any more untrue or anti-semitic than Stephen's Martyrdom or Paul's other writing. The use of the word Jew in Paul's letter is not a referance to all Jews.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

That seems correct to me. My apologies.

8. Raha Registered Senior Member

Accepted. In that case, I also apologize for my harsh tone.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

No problem. You'd have to go some to match M*W's spiritual outbursts. But what can you do with some culty who has Jesus retired and making mevushal wine somewhere in the Bordeaux?

10. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

You are so stupid. Since you know absolutely nothing about the Rennes-le-Chateau theory, why do you comment on it? Again, you never add anything substantial to this forum, it amazes me that Cris and James tolerate the likes of you?

11. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Now both of you two are not "stupid" but stubborn. You and your imagination and CA and his rational thinking.

12. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

Actually, no.
    You confuse theory with conjecture.
    Perhaps you're opaque to substance. You certainly avoid it religiously.
    Particularly Cris, whose patience I've admired more than once.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!