Pain

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by LeeDa, May 14, 2006.

1. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

Ive been told that pain is a way of saving yourself from further harm. Like you touch a flame it hurts you learn to stop touching the flame.

What if your constantly in pain that you can't get rid of. What other purposes does pain serve. What is the purpose of being in constant pain.

Anything you can think of to do with pain please post here. Ownessness.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Naat Scientia potestas est. Registered Senior Member

If you can´t get rid of it, you´ll either get used to it, or die with it. Constant pain indicates that you have some serius problem. Pain IS the indicator of your condition.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

If say you were in constant pain does everything like amp up to deal with it. Pain must have a reason other than letting you know "somethings wrong".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Naat Scientia potestas est. Registered Senior Member

Why do you think that? Can you see some other reason?

8. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

I'm proberly the wrong person to ask about "other reasons" i'm not very smart. Does anyone know of any theories that have been proposed or have any pets? It seems far to simplistic to just say "pain lets you know somethings wrong" and thats all it does. I just think theres more to it but I can't advance it any further. Others will have some ideas.

9. candy Valued Senior Member

"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. Even as the stone of the fruit must break, that it's heart may stand in the Sun, so must you know pain. ......... Much of your pain is self-chosen. It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self." Kahlil Gibran

10. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

and the point of that is?

11. Possumking I think, I am? Registered Senior Member

Pain is a way of telling you that something is wrong. Constant pain is just telling you that something is still wrong. For example, if you have constant back pain, you usually take actions to learn how to fix it.

12. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

I HAVE BEEN IN CONSTANT DAILY PAIN FOR OVER 12 YEARS... but not anymore.

yes.. pain means something is wrong... and you have only one choice... fight.

if you dont fight.. you will die.

what does fight mean? it means you have defined your enemy... it is pain.. in what ever form it exists.. and you will devote your self to its utter destruction.

i was bed ridden... but i refused to stay in bed.... i could barely dress myself... i could barely walk.... but i walked everyday.. no matter how much it hurt.

i studied... i asked questions.. and i experimented.. i changed my diet..
    stopped eating surtain foods.. i tried vitamins... i tried drugs.. i tried everything...

i found some stuff... vitamin e... does womders.. in mega doses.. but causes moodyness....
    eating 2 lbs of papaya everyday took away all foot pain...

finannly.. i thought... a ha... its animal products... and ii went totally vegan.
    and nothing happened for 3 days...

but on day number 4, i was 90 % healed... it was amazing...
    it was so joyious i cant describe...

but i couldnt stay a vegan... no way... so i bettered my diet, and it helped alot.
    but it never fixed the problem...

i was allergic to my food... and all i could do is take anti inflammatory drugs to stops it... about 20 200 mg ibuprofens a day........... when i felt good.

i couldnt except killing my self with these unnatural pills... cause they cause kidney dammage..

so i searched for alternatives.. natural ones..

and i found it... concentrated omega 3 fish oil....
    if i take 30 grams.. 10 pills 3 times a day... I DONT HAVE REUHMATISM ANYMORE.

DO YOU HEAR ME...??

as long as i am high on fish oill everyday... i can literally.. run... run down the street... i havent been able to run for years..
    i can jump.. climb.. im not in pain anymore.

i thank the lord, literally for allowing mankind to develop the means to seperate the oils and develop a concentration.... it has literally given me back my life.

and ive been working out... with a 20 lb weight.. when i began 2 months ago..
    i could barely lift it with one hand... now i can lift it with one hand over my head up to 35 times.

my pain is gone... i have won the battle.. the war is over.

all i have to do is keep down any insurections and uprising which may occur... which is easily done with more fish oil.

i used to hate the taste of fish, now i love it.

if you are in pain... do not give in... do not accept.. no not just die.

Fight.

-MT

13. draqon Banned Banned

sure. constant pain means you as an individual is sick and thus have no value to society and thus should commit suicide. You are like a cell in an organism, if the cell becomes infected it destroys itself, undergoes apoptosis, and this happens for the good of the organism as a whole.

14. draqon Banned Banned

...still advertising ur pills?...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

...sweet...

15. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Holy cow, you pop 30 pills a day? :bugeye:

- N

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yes, pain is a reaction to something being wrong in order to get your attention to make it stop. Up to a certain point. Like most things that your body does, the pain receptors are not capable of handling everything the universe throws at them.

Fever serves a very good purpose of killing bacteria, but if it gets too high it will kill you too. So you have to take some better-living-through-chemistry to reduce the fever and let some other better-living-through-chemistry kill off the bacteria.

There's a syndrome known as fibromyalgia that is a symptom of a variety of strange illnesses from lupus to broad-category allergies. Basically it's your immune system turning against your own body because somehow it regards it as a foreign object that shouldn't be there. This causes pain in literally every tissue in your body that is capable of generating pain.

Is it telling you there's something wrong? Sure, but what? That your body is screwed up and transmitting pain signals? Duh!

I know three people who have fibromyalgia. Strangely enough they're all women. One eventually discovered by trial and error that she's allergic to most of the foods that humans have relied on for survival since the dawn of the Neolithic Era, things like wheat. It's wonderful to know that finally, because she's fortunate enough to live in an era when she can get enough other kinds of nutritious food to live. But "allergy" isn't much of a diagnosis. Why the heck do some people have allergies to something as prosaic as wheat? What is your body trying to tell you with all those pain signals? That Mother Nature decided to play a trick on you and put you together wrong?

Another has lupus. That's far worse because it's difficult to stabilize. And it's no better a diagnosis. Your body is telling you through the pain that there's something wrong and in this case you have a condition with a name but almost no understanding.

The third one is still working with her doctors to figure it out. And still in excruciating pain. Every time they stumble onto a painkiller that actually works pretty well, the FDA pulls it off the market a month later. They should be required to live for a week with one of these people who were taking the medication and see whether it's better to allow them to take the risk and be happy or better to make them suffer so they can die of pain instead of a drug interaction.

Always remember that evolution only works to the point that the organisms can survive and reproduce. It doesn't keep making them better after that, except in very rare cases by fortuitous mutations. It doesn't care if they're happy to be alive.

So don't put too much stock in what pain is telling you. It could just be telling you that you're not perfect.

17. candy Valued Senior Member

Devil's Reject
    The point is that pain can be a learning experience.

Mosheh Thezion
    Glad you have found something that works for you.
    I have also been there and done that with allergies and second the idea that you do not give up the quest for solutions.

18. valich Registered Senior Member

With a reply like that - potentially endangering a person's life with your psychotic warped view of biology and our bodily afflictions - you are the one who should commit suicide. To use your own words, "you are like a cell in an organism, infected, and should be destroyed" for the good of society. You are one sick person. Get help!

Chronic pain goes beyond our sensory feedback mechanism that serves to tell us that something is wrong with our body. Chronic severe pain, contrary to Tom Cruise’s beliefs, can "usually" be treated with the right type of medication allowing one to lead a normal life.

I myself - probably similar to Evil Knievel who claims that he broke every bone in his body at least once - suffer from chronic back pain (I broke my back three times) and also from chronic nerve pain (multiple dorsal root nerve avulsion injuries). I've been to the best pain clinics in the U.S., including the MAYO Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, and the Barrow Neurological Pain Clinic. Other than prescribing medications, they were stumped - some even through their hands up against the wall saying "your cornering me!" However, the profound advice given - and it needed time to sink - is called "Occupational Therapy."

"Occupational Therapy" basically means that you need to find a goal and purpose in life to strive for. And that becomes more important than the pain. The drive toward the goal and its achievement causes you not to think about the pain. It works. I take a variety of strong medication that only partially eases the pain I continuously suffer from, but "occupying" myself in worthwhile endeavors is what really works. Look at the world reknowned physicist Steven Hawkins: a quadriplegic on oxygen ventilation for thirty years writing books on physics letter by letter, 15 words an hour. He has accomplished an extraordinary astonishing amount of achievements through his occupation, yet he has to deal with his physical limitations and struggles every minute of his life.

A pet definitely helps too. My dog Kodi gives me a tremendous amount of support and we will be lifelong companions for the next tens years: I live for her, and she lives for me. I cannot be overcome by my pain to the extent that I let her down. If I oversleep because of the pain, she'll lick my face telling me that it's time to get up: both to let her out and to acknowledge our bonded companionship.

If this advice doesn't help, then try to be more specific in your posting. Take care.

19. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

actually i take 40-45 or so perday... depending on what i eat.
    i also take ginsing for energy,AND vitamins, and glucosamine.

-MT

AND ITS WORTH IT... id take 100 if i had to.

i used to be in constant pain.. walking hurt... working in any manner hurt...
    i had the strenght of a 12 year old girl...

and if i just tapped my knuckles... they would scream in pain.

now....

im working out.. and i can make a fist again.. and punch with out extra pain.....
    i feel cured... im not... but i feel that way... as long as im high on fish oil.

20. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

not true, people suffer chronic pain conditions and have long lives.
    I myself have two although bothering me at present.

21. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

you'd be better off taking it liquid form not tablet, the tablets in excess can cause digestive problems. You can get liquid form on internet, most popular is EyeQ. But you can get some with very high doses of EPA which in your case would be better.

22. Naat Scientia potestas est. Registered Senior Member

"Chronic pain, defined as pain which continues for 3 months or more, has been described as a disease entity in itself and it should be treated as such."
    Allthou pain seems to be the disease, not a symptom, it´s still a indicator of a problem. What I ment with my first sentence was that one will have to learn how to deal with the pain, alternative would be death - suicide. It seems that you are dealing with it just fain.

23. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

at 30 to 40 grams a day.... the cost of liquid fish oil... is to high.

where as i get 400 grams of a concentrate for 9 dollars.

i have tried the better concentrates.. and i have noticed that while they work, tHEY do not have the same benefits i seem to get from eating the larger volume... overall.. when i eat the concentrate.. meaning i eat more oil of lesser concentration.

i have been thinking about making a habit of cutting and sqezzing them into shot glasses... and drinking it that way.

i have no choice..... if i go 24 hours without the oil... im in serious pain again.

-MT