Pain Tolerance

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by nietzschefan, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I look back and I could say us kids were abused, by today's standard. By the standard back then, we were just being disiplined. They still had corporal punishment in schools!! Why would spanking with an instrument at school be ok, but a hand smack to the head at home wouldn't be?

The Mom I had then isn't the Mom I have now. She did what she knew.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Basically, what are the purposes of getting pain, irritation, uneasiness and easiness?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. maxg Registered Senior Member

Pain tolerance also appears to vary according to culture/ethnic group but that may also represent a form of training.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

I was in a car accident when I was 16 and messed up my back. I have had constant pain, every day for the last 6 years. I work out, do martial arts, and clean houses 30 plus hours a week with this pain. The first time I got a tattoo with a friend she cried and moaned and bitched for the half hour it took and I sat there for 4 hours under the needle and never said a word. I think pain tolerance is just like the tolerance of any thing. The more you deal with on a average basis the higher your tolerance is going to climb, just like drugs or liquor. I think I have a pretty high tolerance for pain because I have dealt with a steady dose of it for so long.

8. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Can variation in feeling pain and other senstaions be "immune status" related?

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My Mom works at a hospital and she sees people wailing and carrying on all the time. We were rasied not to be hypochondriacs or to embarrass her. I remember my brother coming into the house with a broken arm and it was disgustingly bent. Not a peep out of him. Didn't want to embarrass her in front of all the people that had come for his birthday party.

I agree with maxg. It is a lot of how you were raised.

10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I remember my parents calling me at a friend's house and making me come home to turn off a light I had left on.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

OMG, I've done that to my son. I told him and told him to take out the garbage. Called him at a friends house and told him to get home and do it. Never happened again.
    But a light?? That's just petty.

12. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

I also think that pain tolerance has to do with how you are raised. My dad used to always call me a wimp or a wuss if I ever made a peep about sore muscles or pain (I swam for 2 1/2 hours every day on two different swim teams). He would just tell me to suck it up and get going. When my mom had a really bad asthma attack her throat closed and her oxygen was completely cut off. Her heart had to work so hard just to keep the oxygen flowing. A week later my dad asked her to get him a pop from the fridge, but only "if her heart could handle it". My dad doesn't tolerate weakness or pain. Which has made the last 6 years of my life partial hell...oh wait I mean 22 years

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

That is just our body trying to tell us something; I think the basic purpose is to learn more about ourselves from them.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My Dad (at 30) had to be hospitalized when he got chicken pox. The Dr said it was because he was a red head and people with red hair don't deal with pain well.

Could this be true or just a old wives tale?

15. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

the most painful thing in my life was, one night i went out and i was 30mins late coming home and my mum punished me by beating me with a stick with a nail in the end, i was cut to pieces it hurt like mad, from that moment i havent dealt with pain all that well.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Holy Crap!
    I can't believe there aren't more parents killed in their sleep in the UK.

17. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

oh that was just some of it, has a punishment she used to do "nose treatments" she used to hold me down and get a cocktail stick and scratch the inside of my nose

18. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Wives tale. My dad is a redhead (see above post). The man is a fucking brick wall, mentally and physically.

19. mountainhare Banned Banned

lucifer:
    But, I thought only men abused their children!?

Seriously, did you place your mother in a 'good' nursing home? By which I mean, one which gives turpentine baths?

20. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Same here.
    My father is a redhead, and has taken hits with baseball bats without going down.
    I've seen him pull nails from his hand with barely a wince, then finish the day working.
    In fact, some of the most pain tolerant people I have known have been red-headed Irishmen. Maybe they were just numb from all the alcohol.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

no i didnt. I was left there with her because our brilliant social services screwed up and didnt want to seperate the family, but they have now admitted years later that they did the wrong thing.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

and that's what I thought. He was in the hospital because the chicken pox spread down his throat and he couldn't breathe. It was also in his eye lids.
    I never ever remember my Dad being home sick or wearing a coat, even in a blizzard. stupid condescending Dr.

23. maxg Registered Senior Member

Actually the research on cultural/ethnic differences in pain tolerance found the Irish had the highest tolerance for pain.