Outrageous Koch brothers (and others) offer to buy votes.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Oystein, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Oystein Registered Senior Member

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/22/politics/kochs-reserve-fund-health-care/index.html

Are others as outraged about this as I am? I know this isn't precedent-setting and the story seems to be sliding under the media radar. What a pitiful demonstration of our US Republic. It almost seems against the law -- but I know it isn't. It's only a more blatant out-in-the-open form of lobbyism. And it doesn't matter if you agree with their cause or not, buying votes is just wrong. One of the sicker sides of capitalism.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. timojin Valued Senior Member

Apparently you are not familiar with the Cook county democratic machine in power over 60 years.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

"They did it too" is not an excuse.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Not to mention the fact that it is a false equivalence and the Cook County Machine ceased decades ago.

8. sculptor Valued Senior Member

see:
    Robert Mercer and his daughter Rebekah

9. timojin Valued Senior Member

What do you mean cook county machine ceased ? who told you that ?

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

11. Oystein Registered Senior Member

It's a shame how often that is an excuse for rotten behavior, in all areas of life.

12. Oystein Registered Senior Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The Koch brothers aren't the only ones who have no morals.

13. timojin Valued Senior Member

I don't care what Waki says , I have property in cook county and live in cook county and there are many aldermans that produce voters. The change is due to come because yapi are moving in into the new highrise buildings, and they are moving the trash to the suburbs by destroying the proyects.

14. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

The fact is the Cook County Machine is dead, and has been dead for sometime. The patronage which allowed the machine to thrive is gone. Are there corrupt politicians? Sure there are. Koch money has corrupted many people: academics as well as politicians. Republicans thrive on dark money, e.g. Citizens United.

If you want clean government, then you need to drain the money out of our electoral processes. You need to reform ethics in Congress, e.g. strictly forbid elected and appointed officials and their families benefiting from lobbying activities. You need to change the way we elect our representatives. Republicans have been steadfastly vehemently opposed to all those things. The first thing this Republican Congress wanted to do was to destroy the Office of Congressional Ethics. They've put it off until October because of appearances. Congressional Republicans have steadfastly refused to put drain the swamp. Those are hard facts.

For your further edification:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakman_Decrees

15. Oystein Registered Senior Member

Who TF is waki? Does he talk to you? Thru your neighbor's dog, maybe?

16. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

ish