Ouija boards

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by iam, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Hello Tabs, sorry for the delay, been away for a few days and lost track of where things were. Thanks for filling us in - actually interesting story that. Can't say as how I can offer a single explanation for what your good lady wife recalls, but do pass on m'best to her for me and and do let her know - I have actually heard of similar stories, so whatever else stuff apparently does happen...

What we are to make of all this, who can really say? Personally, I'm all for just a tincture of the unexplained m'self. Good for the blood...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

My regards to you both,

A

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fLuX Registered Senior Member

As goes with any other subject, there are so many facts to prove and disprove everything. Nobody has the right to refer to his wife as delusional.

Lets consider something for a moment. People who do not experience things can easily call it what they want, like blaming it on psychological issues. Unfortunately, most of the time it seems, we live in a world where only seeing his believing. The fact is, sometimes people lie, sometimes they don't, sometimes science can explain things, sometimes it can't.

I think we'll all agree that our comprehension of anything we can't explain is only limited to our understanding of the universe as a species. Rational explanations probably answer everything, but that doesn't mean that we currently posses the knowledge to figure 'everything' out just yet.

I'm a firm believer that if science does not explain something, then we lack the means to make it so. Just some of my thoughts on this subject.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

.... Commendable sentiments, well said.

Personally, I can live with a lot of things: God, Aliens, Ghosts - synchronised swimming, probably never going to wrap noodle around that - but as to pretty much the mainstays of what characterises this particular section of Sciforums - I can live quite happily with the notion of this stuff going on around us all the time.

What I can't abide is the bullshit expectations which tend to go with it.

Say a person genuinely does experience something only describable as paranormal in description, or encounters an object that can only be described as a UFO - that such involves some form of experience, of that I have no doubt - but that in itself doesn't mean the text books all have to be either re-written or, better yet, thrown out and ignored simply because there's something not entirely understood on the loose.

Knowledge should provide the building blocks on which answers begin to be built - we can't know what we don't know, but we can understand what we do.

All too often, unfortunately, people who often times have never even bothered to so much as look at the cover of a physics book will excitedly expose the validity of a book with the picture of a UFO or what-have-you on it and embrace wholeheartedly that which they simply want to hear.

Bottom line of it all is that Nature simply is what it is, always has been. It's never been entirely what we think because we're still fundamentally trying to learn and figure it out.

Welcome to Sciforums, by the way. Hope you enjoy your stay.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fLuX Registered Senior Member

Well said A, I'd have to agree completely. and thank you, this place is very interesting.

8. You're terribly kind. And yes, this place certainly has its moments... Have fun.

A