Ouija Board

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Pollux V, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Ellimist "Nothing of consequence." Registered Senior Member

Miniscule muscle movements... Reference Penn and Teller's Bullshit! episode on Ouija Boards... people work together to form words, whether they know it or not.

The experiment they did was great... they had these three Ouija board enthusiasts "contact a spirit", they kept getting the answer "yes" to their questions... Then, these same three people were blindfolded, the board was turned around 180 degrees and they continued with the "seance". They continued to ask questions and every "yes" answer, the indicator went to where the "yes" was before the board was flipped.

This was just one experiment.

There are no spirits. It is all in their minds.

Penn and Teller are great.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jonibo Registered Member

There are no spirits. It is all in their minds.

Yes and spirits are in the mind and from the mind. So are demons.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ellimist "Nothing of consequence." Registered Senior Member

I hope you are referring to metaphorical spirits/demons, i.e, conscience.

otherwise, it would just be fundy bullshit.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

There is no such entity as a spirit or a demon, and anything one may call a spirit or a demon which comes from the mind is simply a very poor classificatin of things which already have much more spacific names, and attributes.

8. man_of_jade Psychic person Registered Senior Member

Ellimist:
    When you lose your head, you lose the arguement. A cool head is one somebody will pay attention to.

9. psivius Registered Member

The Glass

Down here in Cape Town, I've never seen one of those commercialy produced spirit dailers but we've always had THE GLASS. Simply cut out a bunch a paper pieces, write out one letter of the letter of the alphabet on each of them, include a yes and no piece, grab one of your Mom's drinking glasses, arrange the letters in a circle alphabetically with YES and NO on either sides of the circle, place the glass in the middle(preferably a light-weight glass) and viola our very own DIY communcation device to the spirit world.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Each person places one finger on the glass with hardly any pressure and then "begin the summoning process". We've been messing with this thing since children. Real fun especially when moving into a new neighbourhood. We used to have the kids run screaming out of our house in terror.

Others would be intruiged and stay "on board". Definately an excellent eternal party trick for all ages. My mom (who is also very skeptical) taught us the game ofcourse scared us as little kids telling us that we were communicating with spirits, but as I got older, and realised I too was quite the skeptic, found holes in this board game. The engineers in previous post pretty much hit the nail through the board with their scientific analysis, but there are still a few anomolies worth considering. My biggest concern is that of the glass moving seemingly at random with no one individual actually phsycally moving the glass. Where does this energy come from and how is it directed? Experiment has found that certain individuals are stronger than others and the more fingers present on the glass the stronger the kinetic motion of the glass. In what other way could this energy be channelled? Could this be an insight as to how the pyramids were built???:bugeye: Keep on Questioning....

Last edited: May 13, 2003
  10. pitch black Registered Member

you write like you have no meaning to life (dull)?

11. pitch black Registered Member

some ghosts are physical others not there are spirits who move the glass piece around the quji board.

12. pitch black Registered Member

if there are no such thing of spirits then what do you call the people who protect you from evil(angels)what is god?what is the people called in heaven.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Pay me enough and I'll give you any spirits that you want. It is all a trick, a scam, just remember that and have fun with it. Never ever take it seriously for it is only a trick.

14. disposable88 My real name is Rick Registered Senior Member

I never took Quija boards seriously, I thought everyone kind of knew that stuff like that was kind of hokey

Anyway, they were loads of fun when I was a little kid and I'll probably show them to my kids someday.

15. top mosker Ariloulaleelay Registered Senior Member

What we should be discussing is the satanic influence behind Mario's evil brother: Luigi.

16. vslayer Registered Senior Member

me and my uncle tyed to contact my dead grandfather a few years back with a ouija boaurd but eithre it didnt work or "SUTNTEDGKS" means something

17. kmguru Staff Member

If done correctly, Ouija boards are influenced by the person or persons who are watching the show. It has no relationship with the dead. Besides, According to the Eastern philosophy, the dead are usually get reborn in a very short time after analyzing their just finished past life anyway. So how can one contact a dead person who is not dead anymore?

18. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

Luigi is a stalwart companion. Wario is Mario's evil counterpart. Notice the cleverness with the inversion of the M.

19. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

If Parker Brothers is capable of mass producing a method of communication to some other spirit plane, why has this sort of thing not really taken off? Why aren’t other people producing spiritual experiences for the masse? Wouldn’t it sell? Isn't there a great and desperate demand out there for spiritual experiences? If I were a creature from beyond, why would I care what suburban children put their fingers on and whisper into the air? Is the next life really that boring? Why don’t more spirits sound like rap stars accepting their award? Inarticulate people who want to give a shout out to their crew don’t become spirits powerful enough to give you the Ouija experience?

20. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Back in my college days, a group of us who were interested in parapspychology got together with my ouija board at my apartment. We placed it on my foldable card table, and there was about six of us who sat around it. While we were using the planchette, we made a complete connection with each other with our little fingers. The connection was closed. Whomever was using the planchette, connected using the hand across the forearm. The first thing it spelled out was "diablo is here." Then my card table levitated about six inches off the floor! I am not kidding. It scared the hell out of all of us! I burned the damn thing.

21. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

So MW, are you to have us believe that not only is the devil spanish, he is also only good for a cheap scare?

22. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

Uuum, fairytales superstition and pipe dreams?

23. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member