Oral Sex Worse Than Smoking?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by KilljoyKlown, Oct 13, 2011.

1. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well if you can't take the fun out of sex. take it out of the foreplay. I think it's time the insurance companies started covering the vaccine for men as well as for women.

What's the Latest Development?

The human papillomavirus (HPV) is spreading quickly via oral sex, causing throat cancer disproportionately in men; the number of throat tumors caused by HPV is set to outpace the number caused by smoking, says a report released yesterday in the Journal of Clinical Oncology. "Researchers examined 271 throat-tumor samples collected over 20 years...and found that the percentage of oral cancer linked to the human papillomavirus surged to 72 percent from about 16 percent," according to the report.

What's the Big Idea?

HPV is the most common sexually transmitted disease and while at least half the sexually-active population will contract it during their lifetime, it does not usually cause any harm. The rise in cases of throat cancer in men, however, is shifting the responsibility of prevention, says Maura Gillison, an oncologist at Ohio State University: "The burden of cancer caused by HPV is going to shift from women to men in this decade." Health professionals are calling on pharmaceutical companies to test the HPV vaccine for effectiveness in preventing throat cancer.

http://bigthink.com/ideas/40564?utm...y_Newsletter_October_12_2011&utm_medium=email

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Time Magazine ran the following article on May 11th, 2007

Quite an in depth piece, worth reading the rest of, IMO.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1619814,00.html#ixzz1ac9qvEhC

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

Well, more accurate to say that "oral sex will cause pharyngeal tumors more often than smoking will." Needless to say smoking is still a lot more likely, overall, to give you cancer.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

Hear that guys. Next time your wife asks for a favor say, "That could give me cancer..... "

8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

FK! I'm already paranoid about this stuff...

9. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

not if your just doing your wife !!! Jeese Laweeze anyway . More than 9 partners and your risk goes up considerably . If you just do your wife that be 1 not nine . Now what your wife is out getting it with more than 9 . Now that would be like you doing 9 also right >

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

umm, you missunderstand how statistics work. The risk is higher if you have 9 or more partners but it isnt non existant if you have only had 1 unless both of you have never had any sexual contact with anyone else ever.

It depends, has your partner been vacinated? does she have the disease? ect

acording to something i read a while ago (sorry dont rember where it was) almost every sexually active adult has one form or another of HPV infection at some point in there life. Just look at the prevelance of herpies and cold sores (both caused by HPV strains)

11. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Cant I just take a swig of vodka and then just dive in, that would kill all the bacteria in my mouth, and it would probably feel fantastic for mrs. lucky?

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

um no, it doesnt work that way. Firstly HPV is a VIRUS (human papaloma virus) not a bacteria. Secondly sterilising alchole is alot stronger than vodka. Thirdly Alchole is actually a poor steriliser because it doesnt last, it only sterilises instantly and then the surface can be recolonised. Iodine is prefered because the surface stays sterile longer but who would put that in there mouth. You would need to coat the surface of your mouth and throat so that there isnt any surface where the virus could enter the epitheial cells or pass them

13. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yes very good follow up article. If I was still in high school or even my 20's I be looking to get the vaccine ASAP. Much better than giving up oral sex. But does give you another motive to punish infidelity from a relationship going bad.

14. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

So a smoker that likes oral sex is much worse off than they thought? Well they do know about the smoking already, so getting the bad news about oral sex has to be a terrible blow to their health expectations right?

15. Ellie Banned Banned

Honestly, if i had to do it all over again i woud have never had sex.

16. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

So you've had less than a satisfactory sex life. May I ask how old you are now and how old you were the first time you had sex? And why do you feel as you do?

17. Ellie Banned Banned

I'm 72.

18. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Further, male or female? Describe a few of your partners, and what kind of life did you have growing up?

19. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Okay now I have to ask how long have you felt this way? It's not like you haven't had the time to think about it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I think people can live good lives without a sex partner, and I also believe that getting ones self off is safe sex in more ways than one.

20. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

I feel sorry for lesbians...

...I feel worse for lesbians who smoke.

21. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

What do lesbians have to do with this topic that's different from anybody else who likes oral sex? Any man who gives oral sex to a woman has the same health risk as a lesbian. So why even bring that up in this topic?

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

less risk actually, they probably recived gardecell

23. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

That brings up a good point. Is a woman who has taken the vaccine safer to have oral sex with. Well guys what do you think? Are you going to pressure your girlfriends to get the vaccine now?

If I was young and had it to do over again, that would be one of the things I like to know about any girl I was dating.