Only one word for love in English?

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Dinosaur, Sep 16, 2009.

1. birch Valued Senior Member

I never said that if there was sexual desire(which is lust) that there couldn't be love as well. I am stating that the two are not the same but can exist side by side. You can love your spouse and have sexual desire or be physically attracted to them and love your child as equally as your spouse but the sexual desire component is not a part of it. equally, you can have sexual desire toward your mistress but not love them at all etc.

My view is not silly but more realistic.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

"Romantic" and "sexual" are not synonyms. Romance is about affection and often includes idealization of the object of one's love. Romantic love usually includes sexual attraction, but the opposite is most emphatically not true.
    From Dictionary.com:
    • Necrophilia: An erotic attraction to corpses
    • Pedophilia: Sexual desire in an adult for a child.
    These are both strictly sexual and have no component of love.

Most human cultures observe a minimum level of respect for the dead--at least the dead of one's own community--and necrophilia is, in fact, generally considered evil.

Limericks are not authoritative sources of information.

Both words are modern coinages (about one century old) from Greek roots and my spell checker doesn't recognize them either. The British often spell the second word paedophilia (and pronounce it with a long E, which we do not), which is also not in my spell checker.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

...like,passion,fancy,closeness,comradery,feelings...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

MODERATOR'S NOTE

camaraderie