On Einstein's explanation of the invariance of c

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by RJBeery, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

But a person on earth does not see the meter stck moving. Yet it is still a meter, surely?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Again, in one second light traveled in space this much distance:

---------------------------------------------

and it only traversed a stick this much distance:

----

You know why?? Because the stick also traveled a distance in space.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

Good point. I don't recall anyone going to the "absolute frame" to define the meter. I think they did that right here on earth.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

It's a meter stick with a velocity. Light travel time says how far LIGHT travels in SPACE, not how much time it takes light to traverse a meter stick.

8. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

It has no velocity relative to earth.

You really don't think the definition of a meter should apply directly to meter sticks on earth?

9. chinglu Valued Senior Member

Here I will help you fix your ideas.

"You measure a meter stick on earth where it is proven everyday by GPS that sagnac applies to any measurement of the speed of light on earth. So, your definition of the meter is flawed."

But do not forget, your theory requires an infinite volume that your have no means to prove or measure.

10. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

You don't measure the speed of light, it is defined.

A proper length meter stick will have light traverse it from end to end in the same 1⁄299,792,458 of a second each way. If the stick has a velocity that is impossible!

However, different one-way times could still be a meter, just that it has a velocity. The numbers have to add up.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  11. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Tell me the one way times and I'll tell you if it's a true meter.

12. chinglu Valued Senior Member

How do you prove this idea in an infinite volume that you can not measure?

13. chinglu Valued Senior Member

Will you be able to factor in the motion of the milky way and the earth's motion around the sun for starters?

14. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

The stick has no velocity relative to earth. So people on earth should be able to check the meter stick against the definition of a meter, don't you agree?

15. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Measure the one-way times and I will tell you if it is a meter, and also the velocity if any. I will tell you the true length of the stick and its velocity from the one-way times of light travel, using my sync method..

16. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

Alright, I just did the hypothetical experiment, and I found the time is 2⁄299,792,458 of a second for the round-trip time. Now tell me, is that stick a meter or not?

17. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

The definition of a meter is the distance light travels in space, it says nothing about a meter stick.

Like I said, give me the one-way times and I can tell you the velocity of the stick and the length of the stick.

Can Einstein do that??

18. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

You can not find the length of the stick or the velocity using round trip time. Give me the one-way times.

19. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

So you admit your theory is inferior to Einstein's? His method can tell me the length of the stick based on the round-trip time.

20. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

No, his method is BS, as I just said, it is impossible to say the length of the stick or the velocity of the stick from round trip time. I am not just saying my method can;t do that, I am saying it is impossible!

21. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

Can we assume the one-way time is half of the round-trip time?

22. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

No we can not assume that. That is a fatal assumption.

23. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

I will need two very accurately synchronized clocks to tell you the one-way times. Shall I synchronize them using light signals?