On "Cancel Culture"

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Tiassa, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The Price

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Somewhere between "cancel culture" and "fafo", there is "My Pillow".

The attorneys defending Mike Lindell and his business against defamation claims from voting machine companies are seeking to sever ties with the "MyPillow Guy" over millions of dollars in unpaid legal fees.

In a court filing Thursday, the law firm of Parker Daniels Kibort LLC said Lindell and MyPillow are months behind on their legal bills in three defamation cases, and they can no longer afford to represent him ....

.... The firm has been defending Lindell in defamation lawsuits filed by voting machine companies Smartmatic and Dominion Voting Systems, as well as a third lawsuit brought by former Dominion employee Eric Coomer. All three claim their reputations were damaged by Lindell's repeated fantastical claims of fraud around the 2020 presidential election.

Lindell on Thursday praised his lawyers as "brave and courageous" and said he would gladly keep paying them, if he wasn't broke.

"We've lost everything, every dime," he told NBC News in a phone interview. "All of it is gone."

Lindell said his company has faced financial challenges amid the lawsuits and sustained bad publicity, to the point that he can no longer take out any loans.

"They took away my borrowing because of all you guys in the media," Lindell said, adding that he'd been "canceled" over his comments on the 2020 election.

(Gregorian↱)

There really is a part of me that wonders how people just can't figure it out. It will be sad if this ends up destroying a bunch of jobs in Minnesota¹, but clearly Mr. Lindell thought through such risks before undertaking his defamatory crusade against the 2020 election.

I mean, right?

It's kind of like what we tell the young people of pretty much any generation, that what they do might come back to haunt them, and compared to racist mockery, vandalism on video, and even things like rape, maybe the defamatory publicity campaign against the 2020 election was the kind of thing people might notice.

And the thing is, compared to some notorious "cancel culture", there are the business decisions public pressure campaigns have always intended to affect. With social media, of late, businesses have been deciding whether or not to risk being seen sponsoring Nazis; certain working partners don't wish to be associated with the defamatory, insurrectionist pillow company. Lindell picked a fight, staked his credibility, and lost. He had to know this was possible. And he decided it was worth the risk.

Notes:

¹ cf., #274↑ above.​

Gregorian, Dareh. "MyPillow lawyers say CEO Mike Lindell owes them millions of dollars". NBC News. 5 October 2023. NBCNews.com. 5 October 2023. https://nbcnews.to/48IaQlN

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.