Of all things. . .

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by superstring01, Oct 9, 2010.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I'm not denying that it is primarily "conservatives" who are openly anti-gay. But what you were experiencing was not the open hostility of a conservative with an anti-gay viewpoint; but a liberal who lacks the courage to turn their supposedly "progressive" ideals into tolerance that rises to the level of allowing subordinates to so much as mention their significant others if they happen to be of the same sex.
    It's basically an extension of the old rule about not discussing religion or politics at work. Anything controversial has the potential to offend potential customers. And, like it or not, homosexuality is still controversial with many people.
    Glad to hear it, and understandable.
    Few customers have any awareness of who companies donate money to, so the company can be as liberal as it wants to be in that arena without really offending anybody.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

Milkweed, Signal & Mad: Despite the fact that I don't agree with a number of your conclusions, I appreciate the contrasting viewpoints. As of today, I'm comfortable with how I will approach the situation, in no small part due to your input.

Bells: thanks for your support. You should be a counselor.

~String

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

I'm sorry, but are you saying that open homophobia is more a conservative thing and closet homophobia (no pun intended) is a liberal thing?

It's like saying conservatives are only racist this way while liberals are racist that way. I don't see it that way. What's going to be next in dividing anything and everything along voting preference? Conservatives fold and liberals scrunch?

Homophobia exists on both sides of the political divide.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I think I got about 3-4 paragraphs into the description of your lil corporate camping trip before I thought, no wonder String loves the corporation so much...it's fucking GAY.

The fact they take exception to you taking it up the ass regularly, really shocks me...it's perfect preparation for working in the corporation.

8. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Same as Nietzschefan. Get a more autonomous job.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I agree, it was hypocritical for them to even mention it in your "review", especially when everyone else was talking about their personal lives. I don't think it would have happened at my work (on the West Coast). The Midwest is culturally conservative from what I have seen, even when they are politically liberal.

I have similar issues related to the subject of autism.

10. superstring01 Moderator

Ha! Cute.

Either way, I'd be "taking it up the ass". If I left, I would never find the salary I'm making and in staying, I'm putting myself in an environment that is now slightly unsavory to me.

Stomachs trump hearts.

I've gotta eat.

I'm comfortable with how I'll approach this issue now. And there you have it.

~String

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I know it's not much consolation, but hang in there, string. Outlasting assholes is about the only practical defense in an asshole-rich environment. Or: I've come to realize that not everyone is going to be my friend. If I hold out for universal acceptance, I'll be waiting a long time.