Obscure Scifi References

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by CounslerCoffee, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Sorry, I came into the question late and missed the original question as which Enterprise was being refered to.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

thanks killjoy.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I am a bibliophile and as such have been ransacking charity shops and second hand shops for something like 8 years now. If your in the UK there is still quite a bit of moorcocks stuff around, in quite a lot of shops. But anywhere else I dont know how popular he was. I havnt heard much about him for ages.

Now for one of hte more out of the way books I can think of:
    Who wrote it adn what was its name, a book where an earth expedition finds a planet with a complex of white buildings, including one a large dome, into which one expedition member ventures further than most, and experiences some odd sort of growing up parrallel adventure, and has some odd experiences, but the rest of the crew are infectd with cold war paranoia, in fact that is one of the themes, the kind of paranoia that develops when exploring alien stuff that you dont know about. umm, i'm trying to remember some names here. ummm. The dome cuts off EM radiation, so they cant communicate by radio, has a lift in it that goes up to the top floor, which is the top third or so of the dome.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

As I recall, they all had two nacelles, except for one, might be the -F, it was on only one episode, where Q does that paradox thing with Picard, the one in the future under Riker had three.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Corrrrrrrrrrrrrrect!

8. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Actually, it's Borsk Fey`la (check spelling) If you read to the current end of the new books. There has been three, Mon Mothma (sp), then Leia, now borsk. Human, Human, Alien.. prejudice in the starwars universe :bugeye:

I bet no one can tell me what Percivial Hawckworth did for a living before his forced reassignment... and what he did for those ten years.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2003
  9. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Oh, you mean John Percival Hackworth, who spent 10 years shaggin in the diggers undersea homes before coming out to...

Sorry, I just read "the diamond age" a couple of weeks ago. Its one of those books that prises the top of your head open.

Anotehr one:
    An appropriate response to "rot at the core spreads outwards" would be?

10. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

I was just about to fix that!

:bugeye:

11. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Thats from dune, right? one of the later novels... how about "stagnation of the emperor led to the falling of the empire?

Oh, with diamond age you were lucky, heres the one I wanted to use earliar :

Whose humanities savior from the qax?

12. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Good timing- I often find books just before i need them. and as often not.

the qax? no idea. you have me there.

13. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

No one's told me what a ghanima is yet...

14. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

A ghanima is a spoil of war yes, in dune paul tells harah, the woman he won from jamis, to call his kids ghanima, and leto. He calls her ghanima because she wasn't forseen in his vision of the future.

i think people were ignoring this cause you asked 3 questions at once...

Is that good enough for you, or have I failed as well? ANSWER MY QUESTION NOW

15. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

go on, anyone got any answers? Or any mroe questions?

For rot at teh core spreads outwards, i woudl expect soemthing along the lines of "but some rots are good" or suchlike, i cant remember the exact quote.

AS for my other question, ill post the answer as soon as i remember it. i can remember the book, but not the authors name.

16. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Interrogative:

Name the book that featured a supercomputer named Shalmanezer, who held the key for saving the human race?

What did the Heechee abandon, which humanity discovered & held regular lotteries to allow people to attempt to exploit?

Who is the swashbuckling representative of Corps Diplomatique Terrestriene?
    (Follow-up: What is the author of this person's adventures other signature "character"... One which has spilled over into over a dozen "shared universe" books with stories penned by many other authors?)

17. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

Well, technically the Heechee abandoned everything, but I think you're referring to the Gateway asteroid and it's associated Heechee ships...

18. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Wow, all three seem a little familiar. Ive read the back of the Heechee universe book, but not he book itself.

19. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Indeed so!
    And remember:
    "Be fair! Dese are Sassassins!"

Follow up: Why did the Heechee chairs have "Vee" shaped seats(point down) which humans found impossible to sit in without modification?

Guthrie

Buy that sucker!
    Good stuff, even if Robinette Broadhead is a bit of a nebbish at times as a hero

20. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

If I remember correctly without going to my library, the heechee weren't quite humanoid, and their tail end hung into the gap when they were sitting down.

New question:
    How did the hero of "Inconstant Moon" initially think he would die and why?

21. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Is mine to hard for you? Huh?

22. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Fafnir
    You mean the qax thing?
    Well, as for me.... umm... Yes...
    It wasn't Kieth Laumer's Bolo, was it?
    There was a Bolo story where one fought an alien invasion of creatures which could not even be perceived by humanity...

Sparks
    Close, 'cept the "tail end" was a triangular life-support pack for their vac-suits, which they could wear between their legs because they were set so wide apart on their bodies...

Gads! Inconstant Moon!
    So many "moons" ago...
    Something about the moon getting brighter because it was reflecting an explosion on/in/of the sun, and he was on the night side...
    One thing about Niven, though. He definitely thinks BIG.
    Ever read The Integral Trees?

23. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

If I'm remembering correctly, the qax were a rather unusual form of intelligence that originated in the chaos caused in a bubbling liquid. The one presiding over earth was killed by another qax using a starbreaker beam from a xylee ship... I think. It's been at least four or five years since I read that one...
    I can't remember the specific human you might be referring to, but you'd be incorrect anyway as their sun went nova when they hit it with a starbreaker beam while firing on a human fugitive.
    So the qax were humanities saviour from the qax...

Killjoy,
    Ah! Yes. I couldn't remember if that was the answer, or a theory those studying Gateway had come up with...

Not quite, you got the plot right (and it's the only niven story ever to make it to film, in an Outer Limits episode - reasonably unmangled as well) - but the method of dying was that he would be scalded to death by two contra-rotating hurricanes of live steam caused by the nova flash-boiling both oceans.
    (He does twig to the fact that that's incorrect later into the story, for those shaking their heads)
    And The Integral Trees wasn't big - Ringworld was big

Okay, new question then - what aesthetic genetic enhancement did Sax get near the end of his life?