Objectum-Sexuality

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Michael, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Objectum-Sexuality

She has been diagnosed with a condition called Objectum-Sexuality — a fetish for inanimate objects.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I also just watched a program on BBC about men who have fallen in love with their RealDolls. It's really interesting (and a bit shocking) how these people "LOVE" these inanimate objects/sex-dolls. They speak about finally not feeling lonely and the happiness and life improvement they have with these things. They kiss them and hug and talk to them.

It made me remember this far side cartoon. How people talk with their cats or dogs as if they are children or people.

Or when people "pray" to God.

It's all very interesting - this odd side of the human condition.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Pets like it when you talk to them.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Doreen Valued Senior Member

If you want Bobo to sit. 'Sit' is vastly better than any essay. Though this holds for other humans also. With dogs we praise when they sit and with humans we say please. Or we don't.

But if you have something complicated to get across to a dog, it makes perfect sense to speak in a way that keeps you connected emotionally to what you mean. Dogs may not get quite a bit of what you say - neither will most humans either, whatever noises they make after you speak - but your using your language will actually make the sounds and your body language more clear to the dog. Again, you have a simple clear goal or instruction, well say it that way. But if you feel like communicating - for example, why you are in a bad mood one day - using complicated sentences is perfectly OK, in fact it is rational and appreciated in my experience. I think we fool ourselves into thinking fellow humans understand more because they understand each word better than, say, a dog.

The same would hold for communicating with a deity.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

precisely. (another) problem i frequently encountered as a dog trainer was that clients simply could not abide my tendency to address dogs as though i were addressing a human: i avoid terse monosyllabic "commands" except when the situation demands it. same with people. i talk to dogs in the same manner with which i would talk to you; i may avoid discussing, say, matters of mortality or my frustration with windows vista, but otherwise... yet the clients marvelled at the dogs'--their dogs and my dog--seeming ability to understand everything which i said to them ("understand," as they might have it). a curious condundrum for them: the "evidence" seemed wholly discordant with their beliefs.

again, precisely. dogs may play tricks and games, but they seldom lie when it comes to business. unfortunately, the same cannot be said for most (all?) humans: we have this curious tendency to, at times, say one thing with our words, yet something entirely different with our intonation, our eyes, and our gestures (and for the dog perhaps, with those scents which we exude). so much fodder for r.d. laing.

i take it, michael, that you have never met a dog?

correct.

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Well, really, the dog cartoon just came into my mind. I've had dogs, a few actually. But not in awhile. Dogs do seem to have an understanding of emotions yes.

Why Windows Vista didn't open the program - no.
    That the Box-thing is pissing me off - maybe yes.

But, that's not really the point, what I found interesting was how much people ascribed feeling to inanimate objects. Such as the RealDolls. These are people with "relationships" with silicon shaped like idealized women. That's pretty odd. But, sure enough, they were all much much happier now that they were no longer "living alone" :bugeye:

Almost every town has a few of those crazy old people who live alone in their house - I wonder if they'd be happier living with a silicon doll shaped like the woman of their dreams? And, what happens when these dolls are able to hold basic conversations and maybe even move a little? Perhaps via bluetooth and internet the doll could be controlled for conversation for a few hours a day - for a price of course. Could we harness the power of Chinese Gold farmers for this? Are there enough lonely weirdos out there to make it worth it? I mean, these dolls were 10K a pop. We need a finacial study ..

Anyone? Anyone?....

9. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

or why windows vista just kinda made window media player disappear for a while, and then just all of a sudden (after a couple of weeks) "magically" reappear!

if you consider fetishism along a spectrum though, don't we all have some rather curious "affinities"--even for inanimate objects? i won't go into details, but i have this certain thing for eyeballs--and i know i'm not alone: lucio fulci, george bataille, fans of barbara steele, tarantino in kill bill 2 (actually, i could provide a pretty long list, given my propensity).

but as to the matter of degree, i certainly agree that which is described in the OP is pretty damn ... odd.

10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Yes, fetishes are an interesting phenomenon. I used to have a bit of a fetish for outfits, say knee high thick white winter stockings tied at the top

... and on a nice set of legs ... I still do. But, I have to say, for me, I was always more interested in what's in the fetish rather than the objects themselves. I mean, I'm not going to peel of some stockings, toss the girl to the side so that me the stocking can get some private time together!

But yes, along the continuum.... as my fetishes may seem to go, they're more often than not some aspect of the woman's body itself. a brazilian for example...